Quest2 how is it compared to say a Reverb G2?

Could this be done with a MOCA Connection??

I donā€™t know what MOCA is.

well it is really cool and uses regular COAX Cable as an ehternet cable if you have the coax and not ethernet throughout the houseā€¦

Multimedia over Coax = Mocaā€¦ I had setup a moca for my other nephew and it worked great. as the house he lives in does not have an ehternet to the rooms but I do beleieve he has a coax cable wired in the house. so I was thinking we could use that it is about 95% the speed of Ethernet and can do upto gig speedsā€¦ it is really neat but not sure about using it with the Quest 2 but I see no reason it would not work?

2 Likes

That might be even better than Ethernet! Iā€™m reading MoCa 2.5 can do 2.5 Gbps! I might be living in the past about Cat cables too. Iā€™m reading that either Cat 5e or Cat 6 can only do 1 Gbps. Iā€™m definitely no networking expert ha ha.

2 Likes

I always thought cat 6 had a higher data flow than 5e but Iā€™m pretty blind on these things as well.
This MOCA stuff is really cool. An odd rabbit hole but very interesting

1 Like

I have a Link and it works great out of the box with no guidance needed. It just works! I donā€™t do roomscale but the cable was no hinderance for ā€œroomscale-liteā€ titles like Lone Echo. The Quest needs to be charged so a cable will be part of the picture anyway.

2 Likes

@smokinhole, Did you use the official link cable or did you get a 3rd part cable if so which one? thnxā€¦

Another feature that I really like about the Q2 is the pass through view, that with a recent update, can be toggled on with a double-tap to either side of the headset. This is extremely handy when someone walks into the room. You can look at them while speaking, without tilting up your headset.

2 Likes

Quest has passthrough too. My cable is not a Link. I canā€™t begin to say what it is: some no-name thing I pulled off Amazon. It was my 2nd, the first failed. Iā€™d get a Link, whatever the price.

I find the official Link cable is overpriced and not needed. I use the Anker USB-A to -C 3.0 cable in an externally powered USB hub. Itā€™s held up almost 2 years for me so far.

2 Likes

Quest vs Reverb.

1 Key element, Oculus API vs WindowsMR/SteamVR API.
Do you like exception crashes? Cause thatā€™s what the WMR/SVR Combo gets you.

As for the Link Cable, Itā€™s USBC on the headset and you can do USBC or USBA on the pc.
Just get a High Quality High Bandwidth USB 3.1/3.2 Cable, donā€™t get a cheap or a thin/flat one, the wires wont be able to hand the bandwidth.

Also Make sure to get a Powered Hub, with enough mAH through the ports to both charge and operate the headset, otherwise, even when plugged in, the battery will drain and youā€™ll be limited to a few hours of play time.

6 Feet should be enough if all your doing is sit down sims. (Flight, Racing, Space etc).

As for USB 3.2, Have you seen USB 4 Specs?
USB is trying to take over not only accessory devices, but displays, and network, they want USBC on more GPUs instead of HDMI. They want that License fee, lol. They want USB C Ports instead of RJ45.

As for New GPU, Iā€™ve been in the market for 4 years-ish, but Pandemic drove prices up, not to mention mining, so 2K for a 2nd Tier GPU was out of the question.

Even now, I am resisting the 3080s for 500 and 3090s for 900, as they will drop even more in about 4 months.

Me being an AMD Guy, Iā€™m holding out for a 6900XT or 7000 Series Equiv., as it will have features enabled with my Ryzen CPU that might give it a slight performance edge over AMD / nVidia Combo.

AS for wireless Airlink.,
Donā€™t Wifi from PC to Router to Headset, itā€™s got latency issues. and if the bandwidth isnā€™t there, it will lower the quality of the stream, and that will make the experience worse. (it will also do this with cheap USB Cables that have low bandwidth)

Iā€™m in process of re-wiring home to dual cat8 runs as I got the left overs from a recent job, and there was significant wire left on the spool that was to be thrown away.

MoCA is mainly used by TV Providers to send signals through homeā€™s COAX to Secondary and remote connection boxes, you know the Whole Home DVR setup, is 1 master box as the main service entrance, and the rest using MoCA Link to the main, everything is recorded to the HDD on the main unit, all the streams on the remote boxes are recorded on the main and sent over MoCA as a HVEC Stream, the remote boxes just control the channels the master is accessing, there is no actual tuner in the remote units, unplug the master and try to use a remote unit.

3 Likes

This has been my experience as well. It was getting so often I found myself in a continual tail chase trying to find a stable configuration.

Cable: I bought this one for around $16 US and it has been excellent.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08NVFZ3HG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Holy cow, weā€™re already up to Cat 8!!! Iā€™ve definitely been living in the past. All I can seem to find in my house is Cat 5 cables lol!

I think Iā€™m going to replace them all with at least Cat 7. I can easly get Gigabit speeds through my Cat 5ā€™s but this is a real eye opener and might explain why my Virtual Desktop/Steam symbiosis is so glitchy with my new router which has WiFi 6. Virtual Desktop reports 1200 Mbps in my headset but I think the PC to router Cat 5 connection is too slow capping out 1 1000 Mbps. :+1: Heck, Iā€™m off to the computer store right now LOL!

EDIT: Quick check of my computer storeā€™s website and they donā€™t even carry Cat 8ā€™s yet. Only Cat 7.

1 Like

I donā€™t see it in stores locally for consumer,
We just re-wired our warehouse servers here, and upgraded to Cat8 and Cat8 Switches, and had several spools delivered from our supplies distributor, I got a Cat8 Server Rack as well to drive all my in home devices (only my mainPC has a cat8 NIC, but adding one to my Media box). Iā€™m moving to Cat8 as I do run servers, and my own Media Server, so the 40gbps from the Media box PC to the master server switch will help with 4K to multiple TVs, as long as my Media box can feed the Cat8 Switch in the rack, the rest is fine.

they are listed on Amazon, but read reviews and be weary of cheap and or flat cables.
Amazon is known for listing stuff as Cat5E+ and itā€™s still Cheap Cat5 w/ Super Thin lines that are subject to every form of interference.

Cool. Just came back from the store ā€¦ I realized Iā€™d probably need a 10G nic so I picked up their last one (ASUS). Also picked up a 10 foot Cat 7 cable. Checked my router and it has a 2.5G ethernet port so we should be cool. Iā€™ll report back my Virtual Desktop speed a little later. Iā€™m hoping for a REALLY smooth wireless Quest 2 experience after this. :slight_smile:

Oh, and I was surprised to see they had one Honeycomb Bravo left at a nice price so I picked that up as well. Should go nicely with my Alpha.

Thanks for a useful thread, even if I barely understand what you guys are talking about.

Eventually Iā€™d like to get VR at the new house and need to work out the quirks. I had no idea 3090 doesnā€™t support all VR headsets.

2 Likes

Ya, that 3090 bug is total BS!

I got the new 10G nic in with the Cat 7 cable attached to my 2.5G ethernet port on my router. I was immediately impressed with my 1G internet service which has jumped up to 1.2G for free :slight_smile: ā€¦

bandwidth

My Virtual Desktop still reports 1.2G as well and itā€™s still super glitchy with SteamVR. I was hoping it would report 2.5G and everything would be cool. Glad I still have my old Netgear router with WiFi 5 to power my SteamVR. I have no idea whatā€™s going on here. Youā€™d think faster is better.

Iā€™m using a Cat8 Switch to control my LAN, but my Verizon Router only supports Cat6 per Port

With a Single Cat5e I was getting 1000-1075ish both upstream and downstream and 700ish on wifi,
But with more latency.

Figured with Cat8 being run through the ducts Iā€™d prolly get at least 18,000 ish per line,
Iā€™m going to put ends on a small pc of cable and test from my laptop while Iā€™m running the lines, About 75 feet each direction, But I have 3 NICs in my gaming/studio (2 of Which are Cat8) , so I can team them to get twice the throughput of Cat 8.

Verizon Tests speed from router to device as well as router to server, so Iā€™m hoping for at least 10,000 ish maybe less Cat6 Spec per line between Cat 8 Switch and Cat6 Router, and at least 70,000 ish between Cat 8 Switch and Studio rig using dual Cat8 Lines Teamed together to the switch. (10,000 drop off expected just because of the 75 foot run, but I doubt itā€™ll be that much).

1 Like

Neither did the 3080 ti 20GB

1 Like