Quick look at the old classic - F-16 Fighting Falcon from Digital Integration

Yes, the idea was to combine the sims into one battlefield. It was partly implemented as you could fly head-to-head Apaches vs Hinds in shared theatre (Korea).

Tomahawk was also available on PC, IIRC there was just one file - tomahawk.exe that weight around 100kB.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a box with lots of magazines and a ZX Spectrum games book. I also have the old 007 laser pistol!

I use the interface and a Kempston joystick for Tomahawk.

I have a couple of Righteous Orchid Voodoo boards, too, but I canā€™t get them to work. There used to be a trick to get them to click in, but I canā€™t remember how to do it. I also have the game I got for free with my voodoo card - MechWarrior 2 3Dfx. I wish I could play that again, I really liked it. Until I can find a way to get the Voodoo cards working, it ainā€™t gonna happen.
I do have a Voodoo 3 as well, but thatā€™s AGP and MW2 wonā€™t work with it.

(I also have lots of Speccy mags on disk - which you can have a copy of if you like)

2 Likes

My favourite adventure game:

2 Likes

" I use the interface and a Kempston joystick for Tomahawk"

would that be the Kempston joystick interface that if you breath near it, it will move and crash the poor old speccy ā€¦ and the magazines would be Crash the only one i can really remember ā€¦ how this for random memory retention ā€¦ poke23659,0 give you unlimited lives on jet set willy ā€¦ lol

1 Like

Hey Brix if you want to play Mechwarrior 2 I recommend getting the initial version for MS-DOS. The 3dfx versions were numerous, almost every vendor had its own version as there was no unified API at the time. Iā€™ve got that first version running on DOSBox and it works great, way better than back in 1995 on my Pentiom 75MHz :grinning: Software mode supports up to 1024x768 resolution (much higher than any accelerated version) and that flat-shaded graphics has itā€™s own unique aesthetic only enriched by its awesome redbook CD audioā€¦

Here are some interesting vids about the topic:

3 Likes

Yeah, I just checked my large MS-DOS/Win95 games collection and I have MW2 DOS version - along with the Mercenaries sequel, which I well remember the rave about, in the PC Gaming mags, but was never really convinced enough to try it.

I bought the Ghost Bear add-on to MW2, but it was the 2D version and felt really flat after playing the 3Dfx one.

I had a retro-build PC with all the MechWarrior versions on it, but I recently put it into storage, as I never had time to actually play them and they are not the sort of games you can just jump in and play, without some practise.

Iā€™ll never forget that MW2 intro video - really jaw-dropping for the time.

2 Likes

I got started with Chuck Yeagerā€™s Air Combat, Microproseā€™s Stealth Fighter 2.0 and Jetfighter (the first one). I graduated into the rest.

The only title I still have from back then is Janeā€™s USAF.

2 Likes

OK - I will have to look through my storage disks for them. So far I found a ton of type-in programs taken from various magazines. Still have the patience for those? I donā€™t think I would!

1 Like

There were actually two of them - Chuck Yeagerā€™s Advanced Flight Simulator later renamed to Trainer due to legal dispute with Microsoft over their ā€œFlight Simulatorā€, released in 1987 and Chuck Yeagerā€™s Advanced Flight Trainer 2.0 released in 1989.

1 Like

btw hereā€™s the new vid:

6 Likes

Turns out I already had the type-in stuff uploaded for storage on Google drive - so hereā€™s a link:

Help yourself - but donā€™t blame me laterā€¦ :wink:

Might take a while to dig out the magazines, as I have no idea where I put them.

1 Like

Will have to get a good speccy emulator now ā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

The best, for meā€¦

2 Likes

I have a couple if you need one - Iā€™ll check what they are. I bought one from ebay that turned out to be a pirate job (DVD), but it wasnā€™t much cop - the others I got from Speccy websites.

I prefer to use the original, though.

oh - just found a couple of Atari Emulators and a BBC one on my storage drive :slight_smile:
I take it you guys know of this:

I actually have EF2000ā€¦

well downloading that emulator now ā€¦ and have just seen the list of games there ā€¦ well there goes any free time that i did have ā€¦ :grin:

2 Likes

Hey, guess what I installed and was playing with no issues, on my Vista PC today?

Yupā€¦

but thatā€™s not allā€¦ recognise this?

let me give you a clueā€¦

And it doesnā€™t even end there - I also managed to get this working:

Back in the day, I had the demo of MiG-29 Fulcrum on a cover CD and I used to just fly around the provided islands in it, smilingā€¦

Dig those cool city graphicsā€¦

2 Likes

Ha ha, F-16 Multirole Fighter, F-22 Lighting 3 and MIG-29 Fulcrum by Novalogic, have those 3 installed on my Win 7 laptop as well. Works fine here too. And are playable without a joystick - good thing while travelling.

2 Likes

I really wish I had the time to put some decent hours into them, they are really fun.

I keep telling myself Iā€™ll come back to them when Iā€™m too old to cope with modern sims!

1 Like

They can be easy to learn, but are hard to master. Some later missions are pretty much impossible, you have to play them several times until you get lucky (each of your missile hits) or you came up with some brilliant strategy.

FWIW Novalogicā€™s MiG-29, F-16, F-22 Lightning 3, and Armored Fist 3 are available on Steam. I bought all on the cheap during the summer sale.