Quick - need a recommendation for an F-18 book!

Indeed.

There are some endings where I think Why did the author do That?

• that was a wild second half!
1 Like

Thanks you all for the recommendations. I just wanted to follow up that I ended up downloading 7 episodes of the Fighter Pilot Podcast and listening to those, and I am totally hooked!

Just got through the Case I and Case II carrier landing episodes, and I’m craving some DCS Hornet!

1 Like

I’m a handful of chapters into Declared Hostile myself, and I agree with @WreckingCrew’s assessment of the author (kinda picked up on that in Raven One), but I’m enjoying the fact that the Admiral has his priorities in the right order. And there are definitely familiar themes with some of the intra personal stuff in the early chapters.

The Nicaragua campaign was one of my favorites from Falcon 3.0, so this is a nice change from the Persian Gulf.

1 Like

You see Jeff Edward’s latest?

I haven’t, but it’s on the list now.

So book three of the Flip Wilson series just came out last week. Hopefully there won’t be more mean nuke officers in this one.

2 Likes

A bit confused…true this is fiction but, a nice nuke officer? Let’s not stretch believability too far. :open_mouth:

Oh that nuke guy wasn’t mean per se, he just had a case of the Queegs.

2 Likes

OK, good point- it’s not that they’re mean… To quote White Goodman,

goodman

But so far I keep asking, “show me on the doll where the mean nuke hurt you” any time that character is involved.

2 Likes

A most excellent semi-obscure reference. Well done! :+1:

I’m picking through it while I wait for the simulators to come back up. The little bad’s a jarhead this time. All the Nucs are so far safe and pure.

EDIT: Simulators were ■■■■■■ up all day, so I finished it. It’s his best yet, though once again he wobbles a bit with the resolution of conflict. Still, worth a read.

1 Like

I’m unsure as to whats a great book to own considering the DCS-F-18 but I have been looking these two look promising.

I personally would like a book that covers its history as well as A-G and A-A combat missions and tactics and some cool facts and figures, not forgetting Carrier Ops and development and lots of images it would need to be at least 1000 pages.

Any help much appreciated :hugs:

I hope that before the third book someone finally convinces Miller that a magazine is not a “clip”. His characters, including a Marine, AKA known for their rifle marksmanship, use the unforgivable terminology. That is unless they have reverted to the M1 Garand, which indeed does hold ammunition in a clip. OK, fighter pilots, especially Air Force, can be forgiven. But everyone else does not get a pass!

4 Likes

He’s getting his info from the Firepower United channel on YouTube.

2 Likes

20% in on book 3 - Fight Fight (talk talk). Really good page turning beginning. Just met “Mother” the jerk. :sunglasses:

So necro-ing this a bit, but Beach talking about flying over Pensacola in the T-34C in the holiday flight thread reminded me of this one. There’s a good bit of Hornet stuff in the second half.

Joe Weber and RJ Pineiro teamed up on this. Both write good stuff. I have been waiting for the kindle price to come down and it is under $10 now.

1 Like

Looks like it will be a good read. 023

Wheels

1 Like

I hear you can get some interesting FA-18 maintenance manuals on eBay? :wink:

(Too soon?):grin:

6 Likes

5 out of 5 starts for Ashes of Victory. A couple of booboos but a good read.