Rant Time!

Keepass will help with keeping track of all those passwords…

1 Like

There’s always a relevant xkcd:

6 Likes

New rant: Just put a brand new clutch in my 2004 Acura TSX about 6,000 miles ago, at a cost of almost $2K, because it’s next to impossible to get all the underbody shroud off to drop the tranny. Started having issues with shfting into reverse three days ago. Replaced the master and slave cylinders for the clutch system (why can’t we just stick with mechanically actuated clutches anyway?), and there’s evidence that my clutch is damaged and needs to be replaced. Again.

Anybody know where I can find a used, all wheel drive, manual transmission, turbocharged hatchback or wagon for sale for less than $30K?

2 Likes

Yeah if you check around the deep woods of Scandinavia I’m sure there’s more than a couple abandoned rally cars that ran out of gas. Hopefully the airlift will cost under $30K.

2 Likes

No Weather Channel. I don’t want the two apps you are pushing at the top of your mobile page. And no, I don’t want the hurricane tracking app. I just want to read the story. Not watch a video, I just want to read text. Aaaaarghhh…the page won’t load…it just wants to show stupid graphics for minutes on end…

Welcome to 2016’s Internet. :frowning:

1 Like

Really NVidia? Now I have to log on with some account to use the auto-update tool? I’m so tired of linked content and everyone wanting access to everything…

3 Likes

Let’s see how long that lasts. I’ve thought about ditching the app. Was using it to capture thinking that I would do some videos of VR flights, but the post processing is a pain.

I’ve also ditched that nVidia software completely. They can ***** my ***** with their ************ accounts. I am not going to create one.
Fun fact: That could actually prevent me from buying another graphics card from them. Would be the first non-nVidia card since… over ten years. I am a loyal customer, but they are going too far now.

Someone should write an article about this and put it on Mudspike. Really.
EDIT: I would do that, but right now it would contain lots of swear words, so I won’t.

1 Like

I kinda stopped using Nvidia after the whole 8800 series failure fiasco. Fortunately I got my card replaced under warranty by a HD4850X2, and when I build my current rig 4 years ago I got a HD7880. I kinda like how AMD tries to be open with all that they develop.

1 Like

I have built my last few comps, and to be brutally honest, i really don’t know much about them.

My last computer (and i will most likely do the same) was based off of a “Toms Hardware” specification of upper end best bang for buck build.

To be honest its lasted me very well, and has kept up with latest games with ease (for what i needed it for).

The spec required was my first amd GPU, and i have to be brutally honest here…

… aside from my original brand of AMD card which cooked eggs better that baking graphics (a whole other story), i find amd cards and installing+updating drivers drivers on them effortless and so much easier than my previous nvidia cards. Amd got this bit right and make it a painless and easy transition.

People whinge about amd drivers…

Yes they can be behind nvidia for latest games in SOME circumstances, but here is a personal account.

I had one game, not very popular but new. Amd driver update broke that game. Those of us in the community, logged the fault with amd (a very easy process) and expected nothing to be done about it de to the small community of the game.

The very next udate… boom, it was fixed and we didn’t wait long for the update. Aside from the added game service platform that comes with AMD drivers (which i uninstall) i have absolutely no quibble with the quality and and ability of amd cards… really are great bang for buck in my experience.

2 Likes

Frakking great- my wife’s Yaris got suddently a burnt smell from the dashboard- a quick check at the mechanic told us it’s 650€ to change it and we have to- as it’s a short that’s burning through the electrics.
:tired_face: Just when we where catching our breath (economically speaking).

Boy I’m pissed…

Mongrels, sorry to hear about that.

1 Like

wow, that really sucks.
And I thought I was having a bad day…

Rant - I swear I think most of the Java updates are just puff installs hoping that people won’t uncheck the changes to your default browser page or something. (I never fall for it…but I can see how it can happen - ie…my Dad…he never reads install instructions…)

2 Likes

I really, really hate software companies that do that. Any time I go to my parent’s house, I have to do a clean up on their system from all the extra junk, bloatware, and extra toolbars they’ve inadvertently installed.

3 Likes

Count me in your team…

+1
I hate that. Every time a relative buys a new PC I have to clean it up for them. I can’t stand it.

Windows 8 installation last year for my father in law: 20 minutes of installation, two hours of cleaning up all that sh** it came with.

Tell them to buy Macs and get them an apointment at the “Genius” bar. :smile: I did this a decade ago with my inlaws because every time that we went to my wife’s house for holiday, I was right back at work again cleaning systems and explaining ransomeware, malware, and phishing attacks. I love them, but were I a mechanic, I’d be spending my entire holiday in the garage.

I worked with Macs between 2005 and 2010.
Never again.

I’d rather install Ubuntu.

3 Likes