RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

The Harrier, the Tarawa LHA and the Normandy map is going to be a great combination. This aircraft is going to be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Needs more Ramp.

2 Likes

You only need ramps if your Navy canā€™t figure out how to build a proper carrier.

5 Likes
5 Likes

I still find it hard to believe we are getting a Harrier, these where the iconic birds for me growing up and the above video really brings it home how close we are getting. Also it looks just like landing a chopper :wink:

2 Likes

Ohā€¦donā€™t you know it. Between the carrier F/A-18 and the Harrier, multi-player sessions are going to be a blastā€¦with lots of fireworks me thinks!

2 Likes

Looks like it is coming along pretty quickly.

There are a number of things I hope he fixes as time goes by. I wonder if he has a Harrier dude working with him. A lot of the systems stuff would be pretty hard to figure out if you just tried to read itā€¦providing you could find documentation on it.

The nose also looks a little off. I would think changing the 3D model would be a bit of a pain at this point though.

1 Like

On the other hand if the Mirage is any indicator, RAZBAM has continually fixed and improved that aircraft since inception, unlike some others that seem to either be ignored or get perhaps annual polishing. No doubt that it will be delivered with warts. But I am confident that RAZBAM will keep after it.

2 Likes

Very heartening to hear. Iā€™m just curious if he has a good SME to square this stuff away.

1 Like

Might be worth contacting them to find out if theyā€™d like another :smile:

3 Likes

Not Opposed.

Does anyone have a contact for them? Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m not on FB?

1 Like

I suppose one of us could contact them and act as a info-swap point? Want me to shoot off a message?

Sure, if they want the help Iā€™ll do what I can.

Done and done, will let you know when/if I get a message!

Great, thanks Shark.

And this is why i love the sim community. You guys so helpful ! :jenneke:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never really grasped the need for STOVL aircraft, thinking that it was unnecessarily complex and that this was just a distraction from real carrier ops via the Hornet. But after having some fun in the F-35B as a warmup for the Harrier, I confess that Iā€™m really looking forward to this release.

1 Like

Well, as Iā€™m sure you know, the original purpose behind VSTOL was in anticipation of the inevitable first strike by the Soviets against the NATO airfields.

But for this circumstance, the Marines just liked the notion of having a bomb truck with them rather than on a fairly vulnerable ship that might need to be elsewhere at some inconvenient time. The AV-8 just has the virtue of being able to operate forward and, if memory serves, was the most forward deployed F/W asset during DS1. Significantly, it generally operated without the need for air refueling which was more common for other assets.

The concept of ā€œpush CASā€ where CAS aircraft are stacked to the moon just looking for a place to dump their bombs obscures the need for responsive CAS a bit. In a less air rich environment sending a Strike Eagle on a 12 hour CAS mission would be a waste of a deep strike asset that would probably be better used for Deep Strike or BAI.

5 Likes

I think the Marinesā€™ enthusiasm for the Harrier is heavily influenced by their experiences in the Guadalcanal battle. There the landed force was left on the island unsupported when the Navy withdrew its ships after taking heavy losses. I think since then the Marines never really trusted in air support by carriers and wanted to bring along their own fixed-wing aircraft onto any beach they landed. A useful capability for the next World War, but in practice it hasnā€™t really been needed since WWII.

3 Likes