1 Like

…and the Whale.

But why would this be a bad thing?

If you don’t cut off the end of my sentence it makes more sense. :wink:

1 Like

Flares are finally coming back into style! :wink:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Unless you’re a naval aviator, in which case no flare is required!

1 Like

The last few nights I’ve been practicing a bit on the LHD 3 Kearsarge with Dino’s excellent TacPack enabled F-35B. Having never done this type of STOVL carrier flying, it has really been a blast, first learning the aircraft systems, and then putting them into practice. The F-35B manual is concise but hits the important points. Even though a lot of the systems have been created with some necessary creative license, Mr. Cattaneo does have time in the factory F-35 simulator. What he has delivered seems to be as thoughtful a representation of the aircraft as anyone might achieve, given available public resources.

From listening to the discussion here and watching YT videos of actual AV-8B ops, the F-35B is probably a much easier aircraft to bring aboard that the AV-8B. But I’m hoping that there will be some synergy - well at least in traffic pattern and vessel approach.

Ggoncruz (AKA Vimeo ZAL-) 's videos are fantastic. I just wish that he had an airspeed and altitude overlay on the video. Very doable with the GoPro HERO5 or other GPS enabled camera, unless that would break some sort of opsec.

How the pros do it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDWJbomoUAI

FWIW, my first STOVL shipboard landing, KSAN - USS Kearsarge

@BeachAV8R’s excellent first look at Dino’s F-35A/B/C

3 Likes

6 Likes

The F-35B was designed from the start to be far easier to fly in STOVL ops than the Harrier, which was more an exercise in proving it could be done than doing it the best way possible. The FBW alone makes a big change.

I’m sure real Harrier pilots will find the B a breeze by comparison when coming aboard after a long flight.

I’ll also bet pilots that would’ve washed out in Harrier training will succeed with the B. :wink:

1 Like

4 Likes

Anyone have an educated guess as to when the Harrier will be released for early access? When I got back into DCS the Mirage was already available, so I wasn’t following it during development (and therefore have nothing to relate to with Razbam and their development flow).

Those waves look fantastic.

The wake could maybe use a little more work, but still, absolutely great for a WIP!

1 Like

Razbam’s stated release window is Q3 2017

I believe that is the standard wake from 1.5, perhaps it just hasn’t been adjusted for water physicstm

Replacing PFM with different PFM I dare say :wink: .

That’s a spicy meat-a-ball!

So you get directional control through what, a gradual blending of rudder pedal input from the actual rudder towards angling the 4 thrusters ever so slightly? You gotta be tap-dancing the whole time coming into a hover landing then. Yikes!

1 Like

I’ll bet @Deacon211 had a kick ass mustache. Well, that’s the way I imagine him anyway…

2 Likes

I had a really pretty mediocre mustache the one time I tried to grow one.

Of course, they don’t let you have really cool mustaches. At best everyone looks like an Inspector Clouseau convention.

For low speed control, you have the Reaction Control System (RCS). RCS ports engine bleed air to all the aircraft’s extremities. The “ends” of the ducts are basically shuttered. When you move the controls, the appropriate shutter opens to port out high pressure air to give you thrust in the necessary direction.

Of course bleed air that is used for the RCS isn’t being supplied to the engine and so affects thrust. In the First Gulf War the story was that the engines were so performance challenged doing vertical landings about the ship in the heat that the pilots would sit in the hover, barely holding their ground at full throttle.

In order to start coming down, all they had to do was “stir” the stick a little.

That makes landing smoothly and not deflecting the controls overmuch, especially when you are performance limited, a very good thing.

8 Likes

That had to be a fun feeling. Probably bent that throttle as the pucker factor went up… :cold_sweat:

1 Like

That’s huge @Deacon211. Stating the obvious, but loads of useful info in that doc. For instance, this noob is very happy to know what the flight deck markings indicate. Very much appreciated. :jenneke: :jenneke: :jenneke:

3 Likes
7 Likes