RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

Let’s travel together. Can’t wait to hear it as well.
:smiley:

1 Like

You think that a SR-71 is loud?! Go stand in front of a engine during a testrun!

Yeah I really want to participate in the “THIS IS LOUD” game :wink:

You think an engine on a test stand is loud?!?!

Go stand in front of an atom bomb during a test firing!

do i win?

2 Likes

In a way, yes!

1 Like

How bad can that be? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

2 Likes

You think an Atom Bomb is loud?
You obviously never met my mother-in-law… :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I can’t argue with that…

1 Like

You can’t hear an SR-71 anymore, but you can still hear Harriers and B-1B’s. :wink:

You should be crouched in the corner of an MG post when a Harrier is hovering past over it!!

Blackbird my ass… :laughing:

Mind you - after that Harrier experience, the worst I had was standing a hundred yards from the end of the runway that 6 Danish F-100Ds were climbing out from - that was a rumble and a half!

I see your airplanes and raise you a Saturn V

5 Likes

I once watched a shuttle launch from the KSC employees viewing stand. It felt as if it was launching from my chest. It’s the only time a “thing” ever made me cry.

Those who were around back then say that the Saturn V was considerably louder.

7 Likes

Ever heard - or felt - a Javelin launch?

The Spear, the SAM, or the Wunderwaffe?

Sorry - I got the wrong one, I meant the Charlie-G :blush:

EDIT - what a wally - it wasn’t that either!! I’ve spent ages looking around, cos I wasn’t convinced and I only just remembered - it was the Milan! It’s my age :disappointed_relieved:

https://youtu.be/RJPIYQl5vko

Nice little article on such stuff here (sorry for OT):

http://www.forces80.com/infweap.htm

I got skilled in most - but though the FN SLR was, like most, my personal weapon (and a great bit of kit it was, too) I was always the gunner, with the LMG. My “Bren” had “1942” stamped on the side!

I’ve been in close proximity to several javelin launches, I don’t recall them being terribly loud. The most impressive thing to me was how the missle seemed to hang in the air after exiting the tube, then rocketing off to ruin someone’s day. I’ve also seen one fire off normally, start the top down attack, and then nose dive back into the ground about 150 meters in front of the firing position. That was fun. The loudest weapon I ever witnessed fired, was the SMAW. Ungodly loud.

1 Like

Yes, I had to correct it - I meant the Milan, which, although doesn’t seem overly loud in the video, emitted a very deep, earth-shaking boom when launched. The first time I heard/felt one was at a NATO firepower demo for the Warsaw Pact top brass in Germany, probably at Sennelager, and it certainly got my attention.

Titan IV was slightly louder than the shuttle, but yes both paled in comparison to the Saturn V.

However, I think it safe to say a rocket will beat a jet for sound every time unless it’s a model rocket. :slight_smile:

Still, even louder than the Harrier and a B-1B was the damned DC-8. That thing had 60s era jet engines on it which, interesting fact, did not combust fuel to create thrust, but rather were disguised speakers designed to shriek at 200db and propel the plane through the air on the pressure of the sound waves alone. These speakers worked so hard black smoke came out the rear.

Nothing worse than being under the pattern of THAT demon, which came in and out twice a week.

3 Likes