RAZBAM AV-8B Harrier II

Hope you don’t mind the necro… Been some time since you posted that. But I thought I’d let ya know that while the mechanical stopwatch is indeed not yet functional, there’s a digital stopwatch under the timer function wich is working fine and has seen good use in timing the mavericks on my end.

6 Likes

Looks like the Marines already have some F-35Cs and have 80 planned, according to Wikipedia, in order to augment the Navy’s career air wings.

That’s interesting, considering that the USMC had originally wanted to move completely away from the Navy’s conventional footprint. It’s still rather surprising to me that the Harrier’s service will be extended another decade, but perhaps their usage of the Harrier hasn’t exceeded their usage of the bug.

If i remember correctly the Navy basically forced the USMC into getting some by holding the agreement to augment the Carrier Air Wings over their heads and not accepting the F-35B as a viable option for it.

I wonder if all those Harriers sitting out at DM that the USMC bought from the UK play any factor in that, as a source of lower time spare parts, or something along those lines.

On a purely technical basis, despite operating in the same environments, the Harrier really isn’t going through the stresses of catapult launches as well as arrested landings. I’m certain that makes a marked difference in airframe life, even with vertical takeoffs and landings.

How many vertical T/O and landings are they doing even? I though the majority were flying from fixed bases? I may have misread that somewhere though.

Not a whole lot outside of training is my understanding, but I’m no expert in Harrier ops.

From the ED forums,

Welcome to the First monthly update from Razbam, We will be providing monthly videos detailing the change-logs for the Harrier and Mirage. As well as information on the modules currently in development for DCS.

We will also conduct interviews with the team. So if you have any questions please leave them in the comments below and we will try to answer them in the next video.

Remember these videos will be driven by you the community, each month you get to choose what we talk about, So please let us know what you want us to talk about.

So what are we talking about in this video:

*Harrier and Mirage updates

*A quick look at the images and videos we have shown on our
website / Facebook and ED forum

• A first look at the changes we have created for the ALR-67(v) RWR , including epic new sounds.

• The first interview in this episode is with Ron the owner of Razbam.

Nothing earth shattering in the video, although they do lay out a wishlist of flyables for the Falklands, and Ron mentions doing a Harrier Gr 7 after the AV8B NA is fully complete.

2 Likes

The fact they are doing a monthly update is a good thing !

2 Likes

Indeed it is!

2 Likes

#nomorewithout

1 Like

Mostly out of a professional interest, up to what level is the IGV/Core/Fan system modelled? I did notice an change in the IGV AOA as the compressor was ramping, so that’s nice. I suppose it’s mostly for show or does the ED engine model allow you to take those things into account when developing aircraft?

There is no such thing. All system models are custom code, it allows to model what you want to model. Eds jet engine models are fairly elaborate, IIRC.

I am not talking about the system model, I am talking about the engine model. What kind of level of simulation is provided there?

Engine models (jet engine models) are system models and it is up to the module developer to implement an engine model. So there is no such thing as a general ED engine model (jet engine). I mean there might be a default basic model provided by ED for the module coders to take apart and learn from but I don’t think that there is an ED engine model (if you mean jet engine model).

5 Likes

This.

Alrighty, interesting. Do we know how far Razbam has modelled that?

Harrier hasn’t been getting much publicity lately, anyone know the status on these features:

Correct AUTO bombing function
FLIR hot spot detector
DMT slaves to sidewinder lock
Interval bombing
JDAMs

There may be other features missing, these are just the ones im personally interested in.

Pretty positive these two work but I’ll test the interval bombing out tonight. I’ve been doing the JDAM’s before so unless something is borked it should work!