RAZBAM - DCS: F-15E Render Test and Dev Update

Unfortunately I think the MiG-21 was the exception for releases. While it has fairly simple systems, it was also the first third party module with an FCR.

And, to be clear, I’m saying simple as far as the complexity of the actual aircraft systems, not the quality of the simulation.

The Belsimtek modules have launched feature complete from what I can remember, but with simple avionics and weapons.

The Mirage was mostly there, just missing some INS features and the EA pod, the latter of which I’m not even sure if it’s implemented as of yet.

The Harrier seems to have been a bit more painful experience, though I don’t have a ton of time in it.

Overall I’ve been pretty happy with the progress on the Hornet, updates are fairly regular and features are being added at a good pace. Like others have mentioned, the early access concept isn’t new; you could argue that the services got the F-35 in early access.

As far as this module goes, I’ll likely hold off on getting it until it’s at least mostly complete. It sure would be nice to run around with 23k internal gas and SDBs.

1 Like

LOL. Yes you certainly could.

Thanks for the background and insights. A long while back I was very into LOMAC and FC. Then, I got into developing scenery for MSFS and lost track of ED developments. Coming back to it now (retired and have enough room for more than one flightsim in my life, as it were) feels like Alice stepping through the Looking Glass…I recognize a lot of things but everything has changed.

Quite frankly, I’m OK with the incremental improvement approach (as long as the increments keep coming) and I’m even OK when, at the end of the day, we learn that there is something “nice to have” that will not or cannot be implemented (so maybe I’ll get the Mirage 2000 after all)

Sometimes I have to remind myself that the “sim” in flightsim stands for “simulation”, not “reality”. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Tasty :sunglasses:

Pretty, but also a bit disconcerting. So far not one pic of a single instrument actually talking to the sim. If they manage to churn out an open alpha “in a few months” you can color me shocked.

2 Likes

It was the same way with the F/A-18C and the Harrier, seems like they don’t hook they systems up to the aircraft in sim until near the end. Like I said before though, Razbam has previously claimed that the F-15E was pretty far along until they ran into the A2G Radar issue, if I’m not mistaken, they were developing it before they started the Mirage.

3 Likes

I can’t speak for the Harrier but ED definately startet showing working pits and videos of FM demonstrations etc. months in advance of the Hornet release.

For systems modeling I can see the utility of not having an instrument hooked up, and instead using simply a mock up display for trouble shooting. Is the instrument/display not working right, or is the system not working right? Having the SA radar display as separate windows you can view without having to look down in the PIT for example. That sort of thing.

2 Likes

I don’t know, the Harrier seemed to come out of nowhere, at least to me. I know it’s had a few growing pains, but sill, they brought the first VTOL (fixed wing) aircraft to DCS, that’s a pretty substantial accomplishment. I don’t have a hard time envisioning an EA version of the Mud Hen by EOY.

1 Like

The Harrier was announced in something like 2012/2013, and development seemed to kick into high gear in late 2016/ early 2017. Every module is different, but assuming a similar work schedule, I don’t see how they will make EOY. I would also caution the F-15E is a substantially more complex aircraft than the AV-8B (which still isn’t anywhere close to done), and Razbam struggles in this area.

If by some miracle it does happen, I wouldn’t expect anything as rudimentary as the Hornet or even Harrier EA.

2 Likes

We are pleased to announce the release of the RAZBAM Strike Eagle to early access / Beta. In the coming weeks we’ll be rolling in updates with the Air to Ground Radar, Air to Air radar, multicrew, targeting pod, terrain following radar, guided munitions, radar warning receiver, electronic warfare, and advanced INS functionality. Until then, enjoy our flight model and CCIP bombing!*

• Placeholder CCIP reticule uses manual bombing display.
6 Likes

…and everyone will buy it, and everyone will drop MK 82s for the first year of its beta.

Where the real advancement has come is in the choosing of airframes to model that buyers can’t resist.

4 Likes

By that rubric we can just get the F-22 and F-35 now.

Without all the classified data?! Who do you think we are, dirty filthy casuals?!

I’d rather see a F-4E, or F-4S.

When I purchased LOMAC in the last millennium, the timeframe of events was clear. It was the late 1980s or 1990s. The flyable planes made sense, the AI planes made sense and all the ground and naval stuff made sense.

DSC-2.5? I know where I am but I don’t know “when I am”.

So far I can mentally limit myself to the mid 1990s to about 2006 (based on the FA-18C design). This F-15E doesn’t seem out of place.

…but the F-22 and/or F-35? …and me flying around in a Mig-21, a Viggen or F-5E…hmmmmm.

1 Like

Don’t forget that the A-29 Super Tucano is on the table, too. It’s almost like that film, Iron Eagle III!

• F-5E-3 - 1970s
  • MiG-21Bis - 1974
  • AH-1S - 1976+
  • UH-1H - 1970-ish (composite rotor, rwr blisters)
  • Gazelles w/ HOT - 1978+
  • MiG-23MLA - 1978
  • Mi-24P - 1980s-ish
  • MiG-29A - 1981
  • F-14A - 1986
  • Su-25 - Mid-80s
  • Su-27S - Mid-80s
  • MiG-29S - Mid-80s
  • Su-25T - Late 80s
  • F-15C - 1990ish (No direct model, but it’s MSIP II-ish)
  • AJS-37 -1991
  • F-14B - Mid 90s
  • A-10A LASTE - Mid 90
  • AV-8B NA - Late 90s
  • F/A-18C Blk 21 OFP 13C - 2005
  • A-10C Suite III - 2007ish

I don’t know about you, I’m pretty comfortable with planting the DCS flag in the 80s/90s.

4 Likes

As am I! :sunglasses:

The most accurate film about air combat since TopGun…tragically ignored at the Oscars…not a single nomination! A travesty!

1 Like