Razbam have another interesting project on their books

A-7 is in the works by another outfit. As is the F-8 crusader.

Did France sign Montreux too? Couldn’t the hornet and tomcat operate out of Batumi or Vaziani when belonging to marine or mercenary outfits?

What we really need is a GIUK map.

And an intruder. So we can put our pennies together to make a certain Italian artist cry.

7 Likes

So, there was some smoke on the water. And to prevent fire in the sky, they all came out to Montreux?

2 Likes

Yes. The original signatories were Bulgaria France Greece Japan Romania Yugoslavia Turkey UK USSR

Note that all the Black Sea nations at the time, Turkey, Bulgaria, Romania and the USSR, all signed. That is the key point. Turkey, as the “Gate Keeper”, is on the hook for preventing violations of the treaty. This was especially a bit dicy during the Cold War when all the other Black Sea nation were also Warsaw Pact members and Turkey was NATO; there was that additional pressure on Turkey to adhere to the treaty.

Flash forward to 2008 and the Russo-Georgan War. The US was walking a thin line with its support for Georgia. Any blatant military support was out of the question. How about a USNS Hospital Ship to care for those wounded in the war? Nope. Mercy and Comfort are too big (Article 18 d.). We ended up sending a DDG which didn’t exactly send the message we were looking to send. :grimacing:

Bottom Line: Turkey protects its status in the Montreux Convention jealously and with good reason. Whatever goal or policy that non-Black Sea nations may want to implement–and want an exception to the Montreux Convention to do so–they will eventually go away, their forces will eventually be withdrawn, i.e. they will “go home”, leaving Turkey to deal with its irate neighbors.

Oh yea! Most definitely! No restrictions on military aircraft other than normal ATC stuff.

I would give up my MiG-19 obsession for a GIUK map. :grin:

I’m like dog looking at a watch o that one. :thinking:

1 Like
6 Likes

Ah yes…thank you. Yes the conference was held and the treat signed in Montreux, Switzerland, in 1936…a few years before the Deep Purple classic, but very droll nonetheless. :slightly_smiling_face:

Getting the data probably not an issue as I have performance data and technical manuals for various marks…more of a case of the legalities maybe.

From BAe or the UK MoD?

Aerosoft! :wink:

Well now we’re getting into a situation where we don’t have enough sand.

1 Like

I don’t like sand. It’s coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere. Not like here.

3 Likes

Wait, wait, wait, Anakin was a lawyer? That would explain so much.

2 Likes

This conversation has lost me again…Sand? :confused: :coconut: :fighting_falcon:

3 Likes

Ah…

…I think I was sleeping at that part of the film.

6 Likes

When the Marianas map comes out (and Falklands?) we’ll have plenty more wide open water for carriers.

1 Like

I had a massive crush on Natalie Portman, so I definitely wasn’t.

4 Likes

There are lawyers inside a room with sand up to their necks. What do you have?

1 Like

IMHO the Lightning will be great in the role it was designed for. The systems will be relatively simple too. I would like a Jag though…and the Buccaneer.

I just want to fly them. :sunglasses:

1 Like

They got one kill. Albeit a pilot less harrier…

2 Likes

Yeah, feels weird too

1 Like