Read It / Do It #01: North American X-15

No biggy. I knew it wasn’t intended. And now I am a little embarrassed for having made a thing of it. Carry on!

1 Like

This is it, Mudspike Drama of the Year. Sites will report widely on this rift in the community of missquoters!

@BeachAV8R any comments on this is affecting daily mudspike operations?!

1 Like

TIL I’m a Captain. :wink:

2 Likes

I’m just hoping one day another site will cobble together our out of context comments into a rap song… (a bit NSFW-ish)

You know when you are a Captain when you look at the day’s weather forecast, and decide based on where it will be raining which legs you’ll fly, and which ones you’ll be responsible for the walk-around. :umbrella: :sun_behind_small_cloud:

3 Likes

This is too easy! :joy:

No, seriously…

I’m glad you brought it up!
It’s the best way to clear up any misunderstandings.

I’ll carry on now… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Great read, so pleased to see these coming out again I reset my lost password to comment - excellent choice of subject, too - I have a model of 66671 sitting next to my monitor right now.

Regarding future read/do (and given the amount of work outlined above, I could understand if you need a lengthy break :slight_smile: have you considered Fate is the Hunter, or Warthog by Smallwood (Gulf map from DCS would assist), or the Cecil Lewis book in RoF?

Always appreciated, whatever the topic!

1 Like

That is a great book - one of my favorites. Some of his descriptions would make me break out in a sweat. Those guys flying those early passenger route days were real pioneers doing an incredibly dangerous job.

I actually did do a Read It / Do It for that book (edit - oops…wrong book!) over on SimHQ nearly a decade ago (!):

I would love to update that article with some new content from DCS World if we get an F-15E…!

1 Like

Ha…reading some of that stuff I wrote from that old SimHQ article makes me smile:

“I have a recurring dream — a dream where the icons of simulation greatness (like CJ “Smut” Martin, Scott “Elf” Elson, and Matt “Wags” Wagner) come together and decide to replicate some of the old Jane’s titles with modern day programming.”

Pssst! @BeachAV8R… Wrong book!
Now, you know you have to do it! :wink:

1 Like

LOL…there I go…just looking at the wrong half of a sentence. Warthog! Not Strike Eagle. :thinking: Now that is a GOOD idea…!

1 Like

I need to stop doing that! :rofl:

But on a serious note…
DCS: A-10C
DCS: Persian Gulf
Smallwoods «Warthog»
@BeachAV8R reading and doing…

I’d pay to read that article…!

1 Like

A nice dissection of the infamous Neil Armstrong atmospheric “skip” flight and how it was portrayed in the First Man movie that was recently released…

Image from Sierra Foot.ORG

3 Likes

Hello here.

I’m sorry to post in this old subject but i have some question about the mod use for xplane.

First of all, this is a very great article and i love the read it / do it format.

I tried to follow your lead along the X-15 program to simulate it and i find the 1.4 update (on xplane.org) of the X15 for Xplane 11 but actually i dont find a way to make working the X-15 A2 (i had found a version forr xplane 10). I’ve tried to use the drop tank with the Xplane 11 version of the X-15 but there is no hardpoint to attache it.

There is a way to have the X-15 A2 and the LR11 working on the last version of xplane ? Or somewhere to find your mod used for the article ?

Thanks again for this article @BeachAV8R, and in advance for response.

Bye.

1 Like

Thanks for your message Voodoo41 - I’m out at training right now, but when get home this weekend I’ll dig up the files and send them to you. I can’t really publish them since they are still technically Laminar Research’s…

I’ll be back in touch!

Oh thanks you very mutch, I look forward to your return =).

1 Like

Just found your forum on the X-15. It is excellent, and I especially enjoyed many of the images associated with what you’ve written. Are these your images, or who created them? You mentioned you have read most books on the X-15, so I’m curious if you might have read mine, and if so, what you thought of it. In case you aren’t familiar with it, the title is: “The X-15 Rocket Plane, Flying the First Wings into Space.” Many thanks, Michelle

7 Likes

Hey @BeachAV8R, this post above is for you!

Welcome aboard x15gal!

3 Likes

Is that the one? I’ve not heard of it before but its got great reviews and I’m a sucker for audible books when I’m driving.

Welcome aboard the mudspike train!

3 Likes

Many thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to hopefully hearing from BeachAV8R as well.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s my book. Gary did a fine job, for the most part, in doing the audiobook. My personal preference of course is always an actual book in my hand. But, whichever way you get the story, I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did writing it. It took 30 years of my life to get it done the way it needed to be done. I was honored to be able to speak to the pilots, and so many of the others who made it all happen. And if you are interested, I have a large section of my web site devoted to the X-15, which I am actually spending most of my time now doing an extensive update on.

http://www.mach25media.com/x15index.html

You’ll find pages tied to every chapter, plus a whole lot of bonus pages. There are currently about 1600 photos to peruse.

Enjoy, and always feel free to drop me a note anytime. If there are photos on my site that you’d like hi-res copies of, I do my best to answer all such requests whenever I can. I also do talks on the X-15 all over the country, and even internationally, which I really love doing. Take care, Michelle

10 Likes