Reap what you sow... Ubisoft in trouble

That’s a shame, because he described the current state of software development to a tee with one exception. I’m 65yrs old. Guess no one noticed yet…

3 Likes

If you were, that would be ok too :slight_smile:

‘Sure, I get that’, said the pilot who shares his life with an associate professor :wink:

2 Likes

:rofl: Now I’m going to think about that all night…

4 Likes

I think about that everytime I go shopping for groceries and see the lady who used to work the register, smiling and helping people to use the self service checkout.
Or when the next debate starts on how we can reduce two pilots into one, or zero, because flying is now so safe. :wink:
We are a strange species with a deeply rooted self eradicating desire.

2 Likes

I’m not going to read your post. I’m going to let a web crawler read it and then tell me with just a thumbs up or thumbs down how I should feel about it.

7 Likes

Damn right you are!

1 Like

Man, I’ve said the same (just different words) so many times in the last several decades.

1 Like

My union has done right by me, so I gotta say hell yeah. Sure my experience is unrelated to coding, but the peace of mind it affords is great.

1 Like

Lamp lighters, telephone exchange operators and forum moderators all used to be valuable vocations, now washed away by the tides of time. A lot of the jobs that have gone can get romanticized with ‘Your work defines you’ but they often just sucked - the nobility of 52 years breaking rocks and getting a gold watch is instilled in our generation but in the future for people growing up today probably less so.

We might have a future where not everyone will work (in the traditional sense of the word), it is scary for sure but probably coming. What those people do is a bit up in the air, with most of the growth seen in the industries around either keeping them occupied/distracted/breathing or just out of trouble.

5 Likes

Absolutely… Times have always been changing.
We don’t have to go that far back to remember when women were home makers and the men had jobs. My dad started as a delivery boy when he turned 15, working at the local cornerstone industry. When he turned 18 he got the option to study to an engineering degree, paid for by the company. He did so and returned to work there, for the rest of his life and proud to do so. Unfortunately he died before reaching retirement, but he would’ve stayed there until they carried him out.
There’s not much of that going on anymore…
Work is a big part of our lives and replacing it with spare time would cost a lot of money, if you want to maintain the same level of social and intellectual interaction. Depending on what you do, of course.
It does indeed look like we’re moving towards a society where a lot of people will be unemployed. I just hope it won’t develop into a society of the unemployed super rich, the working elite and the unemployed poor, or sort of the society we have today… Because if the unemployed poor population grows…! Well, touching on politics here :slight_smile: Interesting discussion though.

4 Likes

“Player Piano” by Kurt Vonnegut , an economist as well as a novelist .

When I imagine all coders unionizing, for some reason the Navigator’s Guild from the 1984 Dune comes to mind…. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A little late to the party on this one. When I was in the gaming industry in the early 2000’s, anyone making over $100,000 was either a lead or a manager, it certainly wasn’t just an artist, developer, or programmer. No one in their right mind works in the gaming industry for the pay at the lower end of the ladder. The only reason people deal with it, is the fact it’s gaming. After you’ve been there a few years and realize it’s just software development like anywhere else, people tend to leave rather quickly.

5 Likes

It hasn’t changed, the general creative talent is lucky to make 65-85k. Most of them (in LA, SF) all live with roommate’s as you can barely make ends meet at 65k here.

5 Likes

1 Like

Is that from the ~2000ish SciFi mini series?

That’s the only one I haven’t seen yet…

It is aaaannnnnd you aren’t missing much. Although, it could be so bad it’s good now.

1 Like

Eh; I’m the guy that watched the 1984 Dune after coming back from watching the new one, just to see which one stuck closer to the book; I’m a glutton for punishment.

1 Like

Lynch isn’t for everybody. While most of his work leaves me scratching my head, i do like the old Dune very much.

2 Likes