Regiments free demo cold war RTS

Alright, you guys convinced me. It’s waiting for me at home when I get back from my trip!

2 Likes

Do I get this right- for the foreseeable future it’s only Single Player?

1 Like

Ups. I already bought it. Might have to return it then. Didn’t even check, just assumed it is MP. :smiley:

Yes, but adding MP so they say. Well for 25 bucks I’m OK to learn in SP and wait for MP. I guess that’s how games are now days. Already been 4 small patches in 24 hours. lol

For the price unless your diehard MP only, it’s worth it. Let’s hope they keep working on it. Now days it’s never a good idea to buy new, best bet is to wait 6 months, for bug fixes and full content but that’s not me. lol

RTS’s are just too fast for me! Even with pausing, slowing time, everything still seems to happen in a split second.

To be fair I’ve never been able to get into any kind of RTS for that reason so it’s not really a knock on the game.

Am going to keep it rather than return though. I like that it’s single player, it looks good and it’ll be fun to play around with once in a while. And who knows after a year what other options it may have? I agree that 25 is a good price for what you’ll get.

1 Like

Same here. The last one I played that I could really play well was Red Alert 2 (not YR, just 2! :rofl:).

I bought and am checking out Regiments. Have actually really enjoyed it so far, especially once I noticed you can change the speed of the game at-will with the buttons on the upper right of the screen under the map. That’s helpful!

4 Likes

I am not really one of those people who is “good” at games. I play them loads but i am not great.

I would happily put money on a game of either c and c the original or red alert 2. Ive had both since the day of release and ive never had a break. At least 2 or 3 times a month i play red alert 2 or YR. I love them

3 Likes

would love to see a C&C generals remaster :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah! I played that to death as well. Never understood the dislike for it. It might not be the same as the other C&C games but i still enjoyed the heck out of it.

In fact, i never really got into Tiberian sun either. Its a great game. I wont knock it, but the aesthetic was never my thing. Prefer the semi-realistic style of the first game.

Never will i forget the feeling of starting the 4th mission for GDI and seeing 2 medium tanks and 2 humvees waiting for me. Bliss.

Man, thinking back. I also remember mission 3 and seeing my minigunners entering an APC was just epic. Then slightly after clearing the fog of war and a bloody TANK is just sat there waiting to kill them. Amazing. Blew me away back in the day.

1 Like

I pretty much played the hell out of all the C&C games including dune 2000… but hated C&C 4 … it seemed to take everything that was the other games, and throw it out the window.

Yeah. I tried with that one. It just wasnt a good attempt. Such a shame as 3 was very very good.

I am not ashamed to admit i played the absolute HELL out of renegade as well.

2 Likes

OMFG me too!
So campy and fun!

2 Likes

Renegade was great, seemed way ahead of its time. I played RA2 a bunch, and dabbled in Tiberian Sun, tried all the rest at least once (up until Generals came out) but always liked RA2 the best.

Back to Regiments:
Any ideas for accomplishing the second operation? I can complete stage one with a depleted battle group, but can’t hang on to enough armor to make it through the third stage.

ETA: The CnC discussion reminds me that I miss old Westwood Studios, and vehemently hate EA Games. Just needed to be said, again.

2 Likes

hallelujah GIF

Me too. Followed by c&c 1

1 Like

I actually love the Eugen games. They may seem like Click-per-Minute contests but they are not. The trick is to be sparing with your attention. It’s like drinking from a firehose, so many things happening, so many dudes yelling reports and alerts going off. The thing then is to take action where it matters and direct things such that everybody is roughly somewhere they can do good and have some cover.

I found those games huge eye openers because they taught my why commanders often seem callous with the lives of their troops. They just can’t be arsed to look after every single dude. Because if you do, you get inundated, lose the picture and get overrun. And then everybody dies.

There have been games in Wargame Red Dragon where my dudes were screaming and the horns blaring and I was just sitting back, fingers steepled muttering “steady boys, steady…” Because sometimes they are where they need to be and they just need to hold the line.

Anyway, I took a short look at Regiments yesterday evening, very short. Looks cool. I love cold war toys and I love SP games. If only I had all the time in the world…

3 Likes

It’s very well done. Just the right balance of complexity and simplicity to make it perfect for someone with my attention span and mental capacity. I find myself slowing things down to 0.5 whenever I have a troops in contact, so I can focus my attention on supporting one firefight at a time. Made some good progress on the campaign, so far it’s awesome!

ETA:
One of the things I really like is the way the game rewards management of line companies. Pulling a mech platoon off the line to repair/refit and receive replacements is well worth doing, before they’re decimated beyond usefulness.

The supply columns are the best implementation of that sort of thing that I’ve ever seen in a game. Keeping the log train behind the front line, while close enough to be able to pull a platoon back a klick or two and resupply ammunition without exposing the supply company to enemy arty or air is an interesting challenge. I wish we had the option of more than one supply column, maybe included in one of the optional task forces, or even if we could split the existing group into two smaller elements. My issue is that they’re so slow, it takes half a phase to move them back to the rear once they run out of supplies, and they rarely make it back to the front in time to complete a second run. If I have two groups that need supply, the only way to make it work is to set up a central resupply area in the middle that then has to be defended adequately.

The other thing that’s really well done is counter-battery fires. They’re actually more fun than annoying. Man an MLRS can use up ammo (and deplete precious supplies) in just a couple fire missions if you’re not careful. Arty is definitely king of the battlefield, followed closely by air. 155mm can’t be shot down by a Shilka though!

The Marders and accompanying mech infantry are sure tough. Once sufficiently dug-in, they seem like they can hold their own against anything, at least for a while. Harder for Warpact forces to remove than a tick on a hound dog. The ubiquitous ATGM launchers sure make being in a T-72 platoon a poor prospect for long-term survivability, apparently much like in real life!

There’s a lot that I like about this RTS, and nothing so far that I don’t. It has a definite Team Yankee ambiance, if you’re into that type of WWIII combat.

ETA2: I’ve found the German version of ‘Find, Fix, Destroy’. It’s ‘Luchs, Fuchs, Marder!’ which is funny to this English speaker.

3 Likes