REPLICA GEAR

interesting stuff; I think I remember this guy from ED forums

P-47

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/62313-replika-gear/

2 Likes

I had wondered what he had gotten up to, years ago he was working on a Hornet stick (before TM had announced theirs) but it got stuck in scope creep and development hellā€¦

I dunno, reading through the thread, Iā€™m taking a ā€˜believe it when I see itā€ approach.

Iā€™m not an engineer, so what do I know, but from years of seeing promising starts like this fall flat, it seems like designing the hardware and making bold claims is the relatively easy part; actually producing and selling the product is the hard part.

Especially when heā€™s questioned on ā€œhow can you possibly deliver on all this?ā€, the defense is ā€œ10 years ago who thought there would be an all metal hotas, but then thrustmaster did it with the warthog!ā€ The implication seeming to be that ā€œtechnology has advanced and someone has found a better way. He further points to Virpils high quality controls as an example.

He forgot about the TM cougar, but casually dismisses correction as ā€œmissing the pointā€. Thatā€™s no small detail, itā€™s actually a critical counter point to his argument. In many ways, the warthog took a step back from the Cougar, with itā€™s plastic, non gimbaled internals. Illustrating itā€™s not like there was some technological limitation 20,30, or even 40 years ago in the controls market. TM and itā€™s competitors could have been making replica, high quality metal controls for years if they wanted to.

They didnā€™t want to, because they assumed, right or wrong, the majority of the flight sim market didnā€™t want to buy a $500+ hotas, or that they could deliver what the market wanted at the price the market would pay for and make a profit.

Itā€™s all about scale, efficiency, and market forces, not technological breakthroughs.

Itā€™s not like Virpils engineers are running laps around Thrustmaster, and thatā€™s why Virpil is offering higher end products. Virpil set out to make a great, high quality product, and they succeeded. ā€¦But, they are making expensive, bespoke products at a much smaller scale than TM, which has accounted for larger scale manufacturing in itā€™s designs.

Right now, it seems heā€™s still in the honeymoon phase of development, building one-off prototypes to whatever spec he wants, without concern for brining things to market.

None of this is to say that Iā€™d not be in line to buy the products if he offers them, but until I see a link to a webstore, itā€™s all just a ā€˜check out this awesome thing I made!ā€ Post.

1 Like