Retro tech from the 70s

this was from a great british program called Tommorows World, this may shock some of our younger members at how we survived back then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qqnHtH1RAs

6 Likes

Sorry i went into a daydream over phillipa forester.

What were you saying about tomorrow

2 Likes

I’ve threatened to buy a paper map for nav on our next road trip, just for kicks - but they don’t sell them anymore around here.

2 Likes

I wish I could dislike this thread! :wink:

One of the reasons I love trucking these days is Google Maps! I’m assigned my “bombing run” mission in the morning, input all my waypoints, get the least congested routing to the “targets” based on current traffic conditions and I have satellite images of the targets for optimal infil and exfil planning! :+1: :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s kind of how I look at my job too. :rofl:

3 Likes

We’re all truckers here. You just have more computers to program. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Elby, your truck has a better NAV system than mine, and it has better brakes! :wink:

3 Likes

It is also the heavier machine I think.

(I actually forgot which plane you fly but the typical large truck weight of 40 tons is quite heavy for a plane. IIRC a BAe 146 has a MTOW of ~40 tons).

2 Likes

I keep paper maps of the Carolinas and Southeast in my car, just in case. There are enough spots in the mountains with no signal/ map coverage that it’s paid off more than a handful of times.

1 Like

Mine is faster. :wink:

2 Likes

On a good day! I’m 60 tons more often than I’d like. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow!

That puts your truck in roughly the same category as a 737

1 Like

:grin:…. I’m staying quiet.

4 Likes

The same weight category I guess LOL! The guys that post in the Cycling thread could probably pass me going up hill! :smiley:

2 Likes

Lol yeah I missed one word.

4 Likes

I enjoy the irony of watching that video on my folding screen 5g samsung in 2022 using wifi from my house sat in a deck chair in my garden using my battery pack to charge my phone as im using it.

Plus that old MK1 ford transit was sweeeet

6 Likes

:+1:
And the idea of texting likely never entered their mind: “you want to what? Just pick up the phone and talk to them!”

2 Likes