Revived MicroProse Announces WarBirds 2020 on Unreal Engine 4

Considering the dilution of the word “Simulator” recently, that’s entirely possible.

3 Likes

I think there’s plenty of us old grognards from Air Warrior, Il-2, 1990’s Warbirds and Aces High times who would play this.

1 Like

It’s great news!

I have doubt on unreal engine…
It’s popular and has great support but i always heard that flight sims need an ad hoc engine…

Also to reach and improve the detail we have in BOX or DCS they’ll need to work hard or have tons of money…

They are both releasing new stuff and slowly improving old stuff and adding new features…

Happy to have someone trying it!

1 Like

To be fair that picture is one of the worst gaming terrains I’ve seen in a while.
War Thunder looks better and in simulator mode rightfully kicks aluminum-clad asses.

2 Likes

That would be so awesome! I have B-17 2, but never got it to run well enough on the PC I had back then. I had the original B-17 on my Amiga, and I just loved the crew resource management of it…

doesn’t matter, still an island :joy: Honestly, I was happy to spend time in War Thunder when they still did the “historic campaigns” in their version of sim mode. I’ll play PTO wherever I can as that’s what I like the best and options are severely limited. I can be a lot pickier about Europe because everyone and their brother does the same stuff there, more or less.

1 Like

Have you checked the World War mode?
That’s pretty awesome.

1 Like

Wait, it’s actually done? The option was in the menu from the start of closed beta, which was god knows when ago, bout time. Also no I haven’t, they do some stuff with their client and installer that honestly I am not a fan of and kinda no longer want it on my machine because of.

1 Like

:slight_smile: No worries.
As long as we all are free users there’s no ill in skipping games!

But just in case, it’s done and in.
It IS in its infancy and there’s things to iron out…

1 Like

Ground shot

I guess they are working on the terrain right now, because that’s what they are showing

Yes, what is the intended market for this? If they are actually intending to compete with War Thunder, the final product may not be as interesting to everyone here.

1 Like

Not enough info yet, but this is a mmo on a big scale.

The new CEO of MicroProse, David Laggiete also owns Titanim

http://titanim.net/

Titanim is a project that renders whole world, so potentialy we could see massive areas, like thousands of kilometeres wide in these new Warbirds if they will use this technique.

Simply saying this is new and there is nothing like this on the market currently, so no one knows.

Exactly this. Aces High has exactly this problem. Lack of players. 100 or so each night is no where enough to satisfy this type of gameplay.
https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,397055.0.html

Oh god, a mobile version? By my definition that’s definitely a “game” and not a “simulator”.

2 Likes

By the 20+ years old definition it is still simulator :slight_smile: …different times…

2 Likes

‘Oh god, a mobile version? By my definition that’s definitely a “game” and not a “simulator”.’

Pretty sure it will be different to the PC becuase they will be releasing it a year after.

Oooh. you are going to be “Negative”…It took me a while…wondering “What does he mean he is going to be Nancy Regan about this…‘Just say no’?” :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah my personal way to claim to be “negative Nancy” about something!

5 Likes