Rhino's new build

Alright. So the current system is 3 years and a bit old… getting close to 3.5. It’s doing pretty well, but it’s also getting time to upgrade (and I mean, MSFS needs to generate its $2B in spending right?). I’ll be pulling the storage drives from the existing unit except for one, and that’ll be used as the “parts dumpster” from my future upgrades and given to the kids. For now it’ll stay in my office and can be used as a reference station for things like skyvector and the like off to the side, using a TV I’m going to mount for work use. I’ll have to show you guys this setup when it’s done. Proper fridge and a bed and I’ll only need to leave to use the toilet, and that’s just around the corner :smiley:

So here we go… thoughts, suggestions, etc… all welcome. Note all prices are CAD. I’d appreciate suggestions consider Canadian pricing, because it sucks donkey genitals and I don’t want to be reminded how much cheaper this is south of the border :wink: I’m listing links using lowest price found, even if in the ned most of the parts are from same store. Where they are same price elsewhere, I default to free shipping, or if equal there, preferred store.

CPU

1. i7-10700K - $579 -free shipping
  2. 3900x - 619 (sale right now - comes with AC Valhalla too, so $80 promo add-on? - free shipping
  3. Open to suggestions…

GPU
This is going to be one of the new Nvidia 30xx cards. Depends on pricing.

MOBO
Obviously this is going to depend on whether I’m AMD/Intel

1. MSI z490 Unify - I have been an asus mobo guy for my prior builds… I’m not sold on this.
  2. Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero x570

RAM
2x16gb. Likely G.Skill just because that’s what I’ve used in the past and never had a bad stick. Obviously need to double check compatibility with the boards (haven’t done that yet).

1. G.Skill 2x16 DDR4 3200 CL 16

Storage
I’ve got this handled for the most part. Need a new SSD but that’s fine. No recommendation needed here. Mostly pulling from old computer.

Cooler
To be updated - haven’t picked. I’ve only gone air cooled before, so I’m likely to go with the internet recommended version of Noctua here, once I look into it. FIGHT ME.

PSU
Likely to just go with another Corsair 750W here. My old one is 9years strong I think at this point.

Case

• To be updated - haven’t picked. Currently using an NZXT Phantom from my first build/
1 Like

I’d get the i7 and the z490 board. $350 is an outstanding price for a chip that will be unmatched in gaming.

How illegal is it to have someone mail you one?

I’m going to go out on a limb right now and suggest 64GB of ram.

EDIT: I’m liking my 12 core 3900X WITHOUT SMT (hyperthreading).

I’d appreciate suggestions consider Canadian pricing, because it sucks donkey genitals and I don’t want to be reminded how much cheaper this is south of the border :wink:

I should’ve bolded that :stuck_out_tongue: haha

I don’t know what you have right now, but I would totally recommend the newer nVME type of SSD’s. I got a 960 evo with 256GB that holds my OS and was so happy with that that when I spotted a good deal on a 970 evo with 1TB of storage I grabbed that and put both DCS and X-plane (now FS2020) on it.

https://www.amazon.ca/Samsung-interne-MZ-V7E1T0BW-Version-Canada/dp/B07BN217QG/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=960+evo&qid=1598234001&s=electronics&sr=1-5

So, fun fact, you can’t actually redeem that until you install the hardware. Weirdest throw in, AMD wants you to install some program to verify you are running the hardware you bought.

I’ve got 2 :slight_smile:

I’ll be ordering another to throw in the new system and leaving one in the old one, likely. That way I don’t need to completely wipe the old system, just clear off all the games and stuff I don’t need from the C drive.

Looking at that pricing, maybe that is CAD? What site is that?

That’s ok. Bit weird I need to install something, but not a huge deal I guess. Last time I got one of these, it took weeks and I had to keep following up by phone to get the code sent to me. Didn’t end up liking whatever game it was lol.

1 Like

Same, I doubt I’ll actually ever play it, but just ordered the 3900XT earlier today, thought I’d redeem the code while I waited, but no dice lol.

I hate to say it, but I agree with @Elby 64GB is the way to go for the enthusiasts now, I think.

I just hate to have a “page file” nowadays … MSFS2020 made me have a page file.

Ya… I’m doubling cost obviously to hit that without a sale. I can get that 2x16 for $133 right now.

The cheapest 64gb set I’m seeing from a brand I’d trust is $300 if I don’t want to run at 2666.

Something like https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/ is good for adding your parts into, as it shows the best price per retailer, plus alerts you if prices change etc.

You can start from someone else’s build and just edit it to make it your own. It checks all parts are compatible and keeps a running total of estimated wattage for the PSU.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/4fZxFT/magnificent-intel-gamingstreaming-build

2 Likes

I agree you don’t want to be running at 2666 brother. XMP 3500’s is what I’m running at.

Thanks. Not entirely sure why I wasn’t using that lol. I had looked at it and then just… did something else.

That case looks awesome.

1 Like

With a placeholder GPU, something like this?

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-10700K 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor $541.25 @ shopRBC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $109.95 @ Amazon Canada
Motherboard *ASRock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX LGA1200 Motherboard $168.50 @ Vuugo
Memory *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory $127.99 @ Newegg Canada
Video Card *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB KO GAMING Video Card $949.99 @ Memory Express
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower Case $209.99 @ Canada Computers
Power Supply *Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $169.99 @ Amazon Canada
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2307.66
Mail-in rebates -$30.00
Total $2277.66
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-24 00:53 EDT-0400

my 2 coins…

i know that if you wait the next gen you’ll never buy but…
… since you waited 3,5 years wait 2-3 months more and check next ryzen series too…

ram for ryzen i would go with sticks 3200 CL12 or 3600 CL 16

it’s the first time i see suggestions for 64gb isn’t it overkill? is it just a MsFS thing or dcs can benefit too? other games? (il2 battle… run with 16 no problem…)

The op list looks good to me. Two thoughts:

1. RAM can be easily added later. 32 GB is not lacking anything right now. There’s also the option to go for 48 GB.
  2. Eliminate bottlenecks. Balance GPU vs CPU so rather go for a slightly cheaper CPU and sink the money into the GPU. Games will massively go for your GPU the years to come. MFS 2020 being the perfect example.