Rift S announced!

“Portable”

Right now I’m just looking at DCS World, XP11 and ED. DCS World is the download (although I still have my LOMAC CD :grin:) XP-11 was a download from their site and ED is via Steam.

I was probably going to get the RIFTS-S via Amazon.

Does that sound OK.

That is exactly what I did Will. I wanted the option of a no-fuss return policy in case I wasn’t happy with it. I’m not returning it though. :slight_smile: .

Yeah…Amazon is great. Although if you have a Microsoft Store in the vicinity, it is pretty nice to be able to take a WMR headset home, try it out for a day or two, and if it isn’t your cup-of-tea you can just walk it right back into the store.

Unless you are @fearlessfrog - then you have to scale the great Northern Border Wall and dodge the Canadian Moose Patrol (rack mounted “lasers”) in order to return it.

1 Like

So… Oculus CV or Rift S?..

Physical IPD isnt an issue, my GPU only has MiniDP’s on it, and it was pain to find a MiniDP → HDMI Adapter that worked with the rift.

My Rift S came with an adapter included. Didn’t really inspect it, but Ocolus website says it’s a Mini DisplayPort™ to DisplayPort™ adapter. I think if they include that adapter, it should also work.

ive broken 2 of the adapters

since the only hdmi adapter that workes is a full DP, i had to use my Old Sapphire MiniDP to DP block and that worked, but the weight of the cables pulled it apart, just threw away a 2nd one for the same thing, they are 5.99 a pop plus shipping

This time I ordered a 2 pack, and I am going to glue a small l bracket to the bottom, so the weight of the cables is supported.

plus the Mini to FullDP adapter that comes with the S will not fit my connections because all 6 of my MiniDPs are side by side, with no edge clearance.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812999800?item=N82E16812999800

I think you misspelled “teets”

Was changing out my Flightsim desk and discovered this sticker on the side of my computer:

As far as I can tell I’m good to go with HW to support the Rift-S. Or not?

EDIT: You would think I had done my homework before purchasing this PC. I had not. It was a quick purchase to support some P3D work I had planned on doing, and then didn’t get to do. Since then t has been my “fun” PC for stuff like DCS and ED (and STALKER). However, now that I am fairly locked on to getting the Rift-S, I am investigating using this PC or a whole new purchase.

1 Like

I’d say it’s a bit on the low end. Especially regarding ram, 16GB is what I would consider absolute minimum now a days.
A GTX1060 should be enough for VR, but I don’t think you will be able to super sample much, plus at least DCS will benefit from some more video ram.

2 Likes

I don’t think you’d be able to enjoy gaming in VR with that setup. Especially not DCS. Obviously your disposable income and willingness to blow it on games will be the deciding factor, but I would definitely look at an upgrade here. Settings will greatly affect the performance so YMMV.

I feel like even on low it would be a slideshow in VR with that system.

2 Likes

I hate to say it Will, but I think you would be better off getting a PC better suited for DCS in VR. Your current PC would just about qualify as minimum spec for the Rift S, but DCS is very demanding. X-Plane too for that matter. You would be disappointed and frustrated if you tried to fly DCS with that rig.

In the Virpil thread you were deliberating about VR or new rudder pedals. The answer IMHO would definitely be VR if you have a system that can run it well. VR will change your entire sim experience. It’s mind blowing the first time you find yourself in a DCS cockpit in VR.

2 Likes

Thanks all. :slightly_smiling_face:

FYI, I plan on the above answers as “sworn affidavits” justifying my purchase of a better PC to run the Rift S…just as soon as I can figure out how to get a post notarized. :wink:

2 Likes

@BeachAV8R gave you the blueprint a while back. Pretty much the highest end rig you can get off the shelf. I learned a long time ago its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

3 Likes

Also to add, the Oculus Ready sticker just means you can run the Oculus home software. Some VR games are OPTIMIZED and not very demanding on the system. One of the robot smashing games i played only used about 3gigs of Vram, was beautiful, and ran like a dream. Sadly, flight sims haven’t come that far along yet.

Maybe in your house, but I’ve learned my lesson on big ticket items. I came home with a Ducati one day and had my jigglies kicked in for a month. That was like 10 years ago and I still can’t mention Italy without her giving me the “go ahead and make my day douchebag” look.

5 Likes

Totally worth it!

1 Like

I agree with that. I mean, I don’t think Beat Saber and Super Hot are really all that demanding. I wouldn’t have thought VTOL VR is either, but I think prior to maybe a LOD adjustment on the trees, it was a little demanding. But it always ran smooth. But yeah, for X-Plane, DCS, P3D - be prepared to give up some slider levels for smoothness on anything but a monster rig. Aerofly FS2 though seems very well optimized and is coming along nicely.

Hard to sneak that one in the back door…

1 Like

Hahaha this made me really happy, though :smiley: You are a brave man!

Seems like the latest Oculus Beta fixed the white page flashes.
The latest beta came along during my vacation, so I tried a flight before updating, and I encountered maybe 3-4 flashes during a flight of about 15 min. Then I updated Oculus software and firmware. Windows found out it needed an update as well, so I let it do its thing…
All that finished, I tried another flight of about 30 minutes, without a single flash… None that I noticed anyway.

WTG Oculus!

1 Like