Rolling / swirling chair and rudder

I used a bungee with some degree of success.one end was pushed through a recess near an arm rest and then wrapped around the stem and tied off near the bottom. It allowed a bit of movement left and right but kept me more or less pointed forward. It took quite a bit of tension and the capacity to cause damage to people or peripherals.

This is the current solution. It swivels if needed and a standard desk is too high but as I fly in VR and have a mouse on a bedside table easily reached it is not really an issue
Edit. The bungee went from one arm, wrapped around base and back to the other arm for a spring loaded swivel

1 Like

How about swapping the adjustable gas damper for a lockable one?

2 Likes

Using straps or old belts tether either side of chair to under side of the desk with quick release clips to keep you aligned with desk

1 Like

I invested in a Secret Labs Titan chair not too long ago. No swivel lock or wheel locks are my only criticism of the chair. I replaced the wheels with a lockable set. It seems a bit of an oversight to not allow you to fix the chair in place when gaming/simming. I guess it doesn’t matter much if, like most gamers, all you are doing is regular gaming with a keyboard or mouse.

1 Like

Not sure that particular gas spring will fit your chair, but it should be possible to find one that fits and has a lock

1 Like

Good luck with that!

I really like my Secret Labs chair but if I had known that MonsterTech had produced one then I would have probably gone in that direction. My last office chair lasted me over 15 years, so I guess I will be almost retired by the time this new one is worn out!

1 Like

Are you sure that they integrated the locking swivel yet? I don’t see it listed as a feature, at least in the USA site?

1 Like

I like the looks of that one, especially as you note the cut-out for a center stick. Looks well made too.

But, alas

Same here. Bought one at Costco about 2 years ago (~$200 US) that should last many years. Only negative is the armrests tend to rattle a bit at “high-G loads” :open_mouth: (see Haptic Feedback)

The sliding/rolling was solved as a side-effect of the 1/2 inch heavy-ish foam padding[1] under the chair as a dampener for the Haptic system; still need the wheels yet when I sit in it the wheels compress just enough into the foam to stop any rolling. These were pretty inexpensive.

As for the swivel issue: not solved but I’m not sure I want to, at least in VR. Since I don’t have a center cut-out for a stick I garage-engineered a mount[2] that hangs below my desk that stops my legs when I turn to check six. Yet that little bit of swivel seems helpful since I don’t have ‘towel racks’ like most real jets (at least the Hornet/Viper/Eagle, etc).

[1] Closest thing I could find at amazon (bought mine at Lowe’s)

[2] Particle board with a piece that slides out to mount a center stick (or my sandwich plate for non-flying times), or in for sidestick usage. Hmm, it is a ‘prototype’ but, since it’s been in place for about a year, I’m not sure I can call it that anymore? Someday I will re-build it - make it pretty, maybe. This will likely need a rebuild when my current stick gets replaced but I have about 2 more inches to play with.

1 Like

Great idea, i used a rubber carboot/trunk mat to get the same effect.

1 Like

Hmm. Got me thinking on that one. Good idea.

Nice. When seeing adverts for various chairs with the ‘wings’ next to where your head would be and immediately thought, “
won’t work for checking my six in VR
”.

1 Like