Rumor mill - Intel

I was really considering this CPU, it could drop into my MSI X99 motherboard with no more than a BIOS flash needed, but the price, OMG the price, its about £1400 here in UK, just crazy for something I’d see no difference in flight sim or the gaming I do.

To put things in perspective, currently own a 5960X eight core and a 3960X six core home built and well specified otherwise PC’s and not seeing anything yet that stress’s either one, still waiting for my Oculus Rift CV1 July delivery allocation though, but my 5960X with Titan X seems to pass the tests needed with flying colours, not over impressed with the current vanilla GTX1080 over what I have already either, but for sure, if you are a few steps behind hardware wise this current generation of CPU and GPU could be good upgrades, really finding it hard to find a good use in our hobby for the 6950X though, wish there were more Simulation based tests for these new CPU’s and GPU’s :slight_smile:

Both my 3960X and 5960X CPU’s were just under £900 (and a good cooler needed on top of that) the 5960X worked out a bit cheaper than the 3960X even with inflation added, so was hoping to buy a 6950X (as an enthusiast) with maybe some selling on Ebay to offset costs, but no, that price and reviews I’ve read, not this time.

The 6950X base clock is the the same as my 5960X and I know the 5960X is a better clocker if thats what you want to do, had mine up to 4.6 on water, but rarely do that … even at stock speed its more than enough for what I do. so mild clocks or stock for me for longevity … mostly :slight_smile:

Time for me to skip a generation again I think, good to see X99 is still a solid platform though, its matured a lot since I bought my first X99 board on day one.

Oops! An anonymous user recently uploaded some benchmarks for Intel’s upcoming 7th Generation Core Processors, codename Kaby Lake, to the SiSoft benchmark database.

It’ll taste sweet, I promise.

http://digiworthy.com/2016/11/30/intel-core-i7-7700k-benchmarks/

http://digiworthy.com/2016/12/28/intel-kaby-lake-r-core-ix-8000/

Intel will unveil its Basin Falls platform, i.e. Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X processors and X299 chipset, at Computex 2017 in Taipei during May 30-June 3 two months earlier than originally scheduled, and will bring forward the launch of Coffee Lake microarchitecture based on a 14nm process node from January 2018 originally to August 2017, to cope with increasing competition from AMD’s Ryzen 7 and Ryzen 5 processors, according to Taiwan-based PC vendors.

The Basin Falls-based products are expected to be launched at the E3 gaming show in the US in June, with the official release at the end of the month.

The Skylake-X series has three 140W processors featuring 6-, 8- and 10-core architectures, while the Kaby Lake-X series has an 112W quad-core processor. In August, Intel will release a top-end 12-core Skylake-X processor.

Meanwhile, AMD is planning to announce its top-end 16-core Ryzen processor and X399 platform in the third quarter to compete for the gaming market.

As for the 14nm-based Coffee Lake-based processors, Intel will initially release several K-series Core i7/i5/i3 processors and its Z370 chipsets in August, and will release more CPUs as well as H370, B360 and H310 chipsets at the end of 2017 or early 2018.

Intel has reportedly spent over US$100 million to order five EUV machine sets from ASML, to accelerate its pace of manufacturing.

Intel and AMD both declined to comment on unannounced products.

Source: Intel to unveil Basin Falls, launch Coffee Lake ahead of schedule

1 Like

Rumor: Core i9 processors will arrive for ‘LGA 2066’ [socket] in June
https://techreport.com/news/31898/rumor-core-i9-processors-will-arrive-for-lga-2066-in-june

(looks down at motherboard, sighs).

Those i9’s are interesting in that they don’t really move the base clock up that much (4.5 GHz sweet spot) but the quad memory channels, huge level 3 cache and new PCIe lanes are still on the Moore’s Law choo choo train still. Having 16 hyperthreads (or even 12 physical cores on the high end) but similar base clock really bangs away at the message to move away from single threaded apps if possible.

1 Like