Ryanair forced down by Belarus

The lengths Mr O’Leary will go to deliver passengers to isolated airports

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-23/belarus-detains-reporter-on-ryanair-flight-forced-down-in-minsk

2 Likes

I doubt it. I’m not commenting further as it too far into politics for here.

1 Like

While I’m no fan of Lukashenko or this stupid and dangerous act, for any hypocrisy fans out there - there is the EU states previously doing this oopsy - Evo Morales grounding incident - Wikipedia.

Keeping the politics out of it is hard with this one, so I wonder what type of MiG-29 it was? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

One that had just enough working parts to fly.

5 Likes

Oops, you’re right. Politics. forum guidelines. Will remove the post.

1 Like

yeah, i think all this thead should be deleted because soon will be a politics flame war here…

1 Like

We don’t do flame wars @stavka. It can remain an interesting news item without us all falling out. We are all friends here no matter where our opinions are based.

3 Likes

I agree, but i’m from a country that peple sometimes kills others only because is diferent soccer club fan…
Usually politics, religion, soccer, sexual orientation, race etc are things that shouldn’t be in frendly foruns. I not like censorship, but i also hate people that discuss things in a nonpolite way and take things too much personally that is nothing with them as if someones are offending their mother.

So i think this kind of subject soon will drift to usa and european politics and etc etc etc and trump vs biden, etc etc etc because to excuse and enforcing arguments in politics people like to bring old facts

1 Like

Thanks! I think that we are doing a pretty good job of checking ourselves on this.

It only drifts if we let it drift. Or encourage it to drift I guess. Until it does, I don’t want to be shutting down threads because of potential flame wars or the Captain Sim one would be on that list as well :slight_smile:

5 Likes

If it was the MIG-29BM, they modernised a few of the old ones they had in the early 2000’s and it’s quite an interesting aircraft.

3 Likes

:smiley: you not like my posts on CS one? No war there, and the subject with CS is more easy. We all agreed that CS did a not beautiful act. I only say that we are only too much over reacting and created a drama were not effords such.
But about politics i think we all agree that is a MUCH more complex and dangerous subject as such that almost all moderated foruns not allow talking about it and very few prohibit talk about CS. So CS talking and politics talking i not see much were are in the same league :smiley:

But i want to add that i appreciate mods effords here to avoid a politics arguing!

1 Like

@stavka And there you have the difference between British sense of humour and politics. If you read my post you can see it is directed at the Chief Executive of Ryanair and his business plan of offering cheap seats taking passengers into destinations many miles away from where they want to go. Like calling Stansted a London Airport. I half expected a comment that O’Leary would charge the passengers extra for the stop.

1 Like

You and I both.

That made me chuckle, then I stopped as its probably the truth :rofl:

1 Like

I even typed out a ‘The MiG-29 forced landing seemed better than normal - very smooth’ but thought maybe someone flew for Ryanair and I’d get into trouble. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

While doing a beautiful (alaska) bush flight here in my msfs installation. I remember that one marvelous and nice feature of MiG-29 is his capacity to takeoff with their main engine entrances closed (only using the upper smaller fins opened).

2 Likes

Haha lol Ryanair does the same thing here, referring to the Weeze Airport (formerly RAF Laarbruch) as Düsseldorf-Weeze.

Düsseldorf is 80km away, has two larger international airports close by that are very easy to reach by public transport and public transport from Weeze to Düsseldorf is practically nonexistent, so actually getting to Düsseldorf is quite an adventure :rofl:

2 Likes

This is what the past decade has taught us: autocrats can do whatever they want and will get enough support from other autocrats to insulate them from external outrage. For a better illustration, see “Hans Brix” in Team America.

(EDIT: I don’t know why the software has me replying to you, @Victork2. This was to no one in particular.)

1 Like

The EU “calls on all EU-based carriers to avoid overflight of Belarus” and will “ban overflight of EU airspace by Belarusian airlines and prevent access to EU airports of flights operated by such airlines”, leaders said in a joint statement after meeting in Brussels on Monday.

Looks like the end of the Belarus national airline then.

5 Likes

Was reading the free news paper we get delivered to all stations in London, the metro … And i had to chuckle about what they had written about this story …

Apparently they use the Mig 26 in Belarus.

4 Likes