Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD

The Samsung 960 Pro is a PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe SSD that comes in a single-sided M.2 2280 form factor. It is currently available in three capacities: 512GB ($329.99), 1TB ($629.99) and 2TB ($1299.99). At these prices the 960 Pro is about $0.61-$0.63/GB, or about double that of a SATA SSD. Its sequential speeds are rated for up to 3500MB/s read and 2100MB/s write across all capacities. Random read and write speeds are listed for up to 440K/360K IOPS. The 960 Pro delivers the same endurance of the 950 Pro at the 512GB capacity, but then doubles it as the capcity doubles. Thus, the 1TB model is rated for up to 800TB and the 2TB model is rated for an impressive 1200TB or 1.2PB!

3 Likes

I’ve been keeping an eye on the M.2’s, and especially Samsung, for a little while now. But the 960 2tb makes me just cry… happy tears…

In my pants!

3 Likes

It looks awesome, but man oh man that $$. That`s like $1700 CAD.

Lets bottom line this. I need some performance numbers. How will this affect my gameplay? Just as we waited to get SSD’s …

With those speeds loading should be non-existant. It could hypothetically install DCS in less than 15 seconds. It’s as fast as the fastest DDR SDRAM or the slowest DDR2. So the speed is on par with the memory that powered your computer less than 10 years ago.

1 Like

SATA3 is a bottleneck, it needs to go,…

1 Like

I know it will improve loading times over my “regular” SSD. But will it improve gameplay enough to be worth the cost?

Only if gameplay performance is constrained by existing disk I/O speed. Not many games stream from disk anymore, but things like FSX/P3D do load new areas on the fly etc. Just like SSD’s today, it will be more about OS quality of life stuff (games loading fast, restarting windows in less than 5 secs etc) type of things rather than better frame rates. If you do any high-end Photoshop on really large images etc then better disk always helps, so maybe for stuff like that this would appeal?

I did the Samsung 850 EVO M.2 500GB in this machine, and a 256GB SSD for storage. Vroom vroom.

1 Like