Samsung Odyssey & Odyssey Plus News

Plugged in everything - Windows appears to have recognized everything and am now going through the setup process. The hand controllers look like something out Interstellar…

2 Likes

So a Warthog? :clown_face:

5 Likes

What’s your humor setting Frog?

2 Likes

Auto-self destruct, t-minus 10, 9…

4 Likes

Newsflash, reports just in.
Italian O+ boxes are having a pizza like aftertaste.

3 Likes

30 posts were split to a new topic: Samsung Odyssey + first impressions, tips, and tricks…

Good detailed comparison shots of the screens of the Odyssey Plus vs Vive Pro (same screen as Odyssey Plain) vs Lenovo Explorer (a nice 1,440x1,440px per eye resolution). Just jump to the middle to get the idea.

Also, because it’s not that obvious, the order of comparison from left to right is O+, Vive Pro, Lenovo on all ‘3-way’ shots.

1 Like

So … my 2 cents on only viewing that video. The Odyssey Plus has better general representation (less of a screen door effect) but it was harder to read the text on the dash of the various vehicles than the Lenovo? Does the Odyssey Plus just make the pixels bleed into each other to get rid of the screen door effect?

2 Likes

Kind of, it seems to do with the layout of the color elements in the AMOLED screen. You can see that sometimes the screen door in a rectangular layout makes things like text look ‘sharper’ but then hurts immersion a little in that you see the black between the pixels too much (or some people see it more than others, so it is a bit subjective). The sharpness is better (a bit like without running any antialiasing in a game) but then you can always see this ‘screen door’ over the top.

The O+ is more that they diffuse the pixels so that the black area between their diagonal layout pixels is covered with color. They claim this doesn’t bleed over other pixels, just covers the black, so in theory to the eye it should be just as clear but with less screen door.

1 Like

It’ll be interesting to see what @BeachAV8R makes of that video, as I don’t think I’ve seen an example where the O+ was so blurry on text display when compared to other displays. I wonder if it has to do with just shoving in a camera into a headset and then not getting the sweetspot right?

So handy having our own on-site tester! :wink:

So I just checked, and setting the “Application Resolution” slider in the SteamVR settings to 100% makes my resolution 1430 x 1773

Kind of weird, as the Odyssey’s physical resolution is supposed to be 1440 x 1600

EDIT: FOUND IT
Apparently it is a combination of the lens asymmetry and compatibility.

Lens asymmetry causes you to see a different aspect ratio than 1440 x 1600 so Steam games should know this, hence why in SteamVR, games are told to render for 1430 x 1773 (slightly wider)

2 Likes

Just shut down the pc for the night, realized while sitting on the toilet that we should add this step to the Samsung Odyssey guide wiki.

Edit: done, works pretty well on mobile. Biological high-latency RAM still had it buffered

3 Likes

So much inspiration comes from cooling your cheaks on porcelain.

4 Likes

Been following this - thanks for all these updates.

@BeachAV8R - what are your system specs.

I have i7, 32 GB, 1070 - and DCS plays great for me - wondering how well O+ would run.

Do you notice any difference in resources between your Rift and O+ - does it take more to power the O+ with these new features ?

I finally got an email today from Samsung that mine shipped if anyone is wondering how backordered they are. (Ordered on 10/28)

3 Likes

so, what settings to use - the VR experience is great, but it looks all grainy and blurry for me (O+)

Do you setup just what is in DCS or anything in StreamVR ?

Rumor has it the O+ might be going on sale for $300 for Black Friday. If that were the case, it might be worth it for an Early Adopter like me to return mine to the Microsoft Store and save $200… I wonder if the MS Store would price match to save me the hassle? Heck…I’ll take $200 in store credit…

Odyssey

This sale may or may not be true…who knows…these Early Black Friday sales circular leaks can sometimes be sketchy…

Actually it looks legit since it shows up on the Samsung website as a deal: Samsung Deals: Sales and Offers on TVs, Phones, Laptops & More | Samsung US

2 Likes

If I can snag one for $300 it’s a done deal. Of course, it doesn’t start until Saturday. I start a trip on Saturday :frowning: . Maybe I can get one online at that price.

1 Like

I might even bite for that price, but would love to get my hands on a demo first. Doesn’t that usually portend a new model is due to launch? Anyone tried the SO and SO+ side by side?

I’m kind of surprised they would put it on sale at such a deep discount considering it was only just released. That’s going to upset a lot of folks who supported the product at launch just a short time ago. Maybe they made a mistake and they really mean the original Odyssey headset.