Scenery destruction

Obviously not confined to the Viper but I notice than the destruction of certain buildings or map zones whether through Scenery Destruction or loadouts is not total, some structures / buildings are left totally unscathed after the flames have died down…

1 Like

I’m ok with that, it’s not the point of DCS - I think.

1 Like

There’s a certain building in Vegas that I have poured thousands and thousands of tons of explosives into, but it just won’t budge. That is the only one I wish I could actually destroy :wink:

7 Likes

My first ever GBU released on the Nevada map was aimed at that building. I just couldn’t resist :rofl:

2 Likes

I concur. It’s the backdrop for the action. It’s good for immersion that you can affect it to some extent and also set the level of destruction etc. if you want to place a mission on a war-torn urban area.

I’m not meaning to be a defensive fanboy - of course I’d welcome a landscape that you can change even more for more immersion (buildings crumbling in more detail, trees falling and forests catching fire etc.) but I am not unhappy with the current status and I wouldn’t want it to be the development focus.

2 Likes

JFC, somehow I know which one and did the same LOL!

Laughing Out Loud GIF by memecandy

2 Likes

There’s a wealth of things that could be achieved for more immersion, but it’s a bit of a funny couple ideas I have.

For instance using shaders for glass textures of skyscrapers so flying by at transonic or mach1 would just make them explode. I don’t need to see the texture change after that, just… you know - gimme shattered glass! :smiley:

Or trees that fall when bombed. Makes sense also to create LZs for Hueys/SAR!

Or in any case better shaders for effects when flying closer to water or earth.

1 Like

Try Mig 21 and nuke the damn thing… See if that kills it :rofl:

2 Likes

I think “the point” of DCS is whatever you wish it to be, that is part of its success. I like to make cinematic videos from the “missions” and consistent destruction would make that more immersive. Yes, there are many other areas that need attention before consistent destruction modelling.

2 Likes

Fair enough :slightly_smiling_face: The sim is certainly pretty - I wish the playback feature was a bit less broken and more user friendly!

2 Likes

Well, yes and no.
Sure you can find your fun in any aspect of the Sim but to be fair the point of DCS is simulating vehicles as best as possible.

1 Like

While cannot speak to certain Las Vegas buildings. (Gee, I wonder which one @schurem means? :rofl:) were are certain hardened targets that are very hard to kill.

In the Viper IA Operation LONE FALCON, the “Ammo Bunkers” on the top of the hill are hard to kill.
Then there is a large bunker at the NW base of the hill that I could not kill with various Viper munitions (this was before JDAM was added).

ED is doing a good job at scaling survivability.

If anyone knows other “Hard to Kill” objects, post them. I thin we all like a good challenge. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ammo bunkers are such fun targets :laughing: A gbu with a penetrator warhead is needed, of at least 2000 pounds. I tried it with manual aimed Mk-84s dropped in pairs on a delayed tail fuse. Iirc that didn’t pop it. But when it pops … hoo boy!

4 Likes

Gotta try that…

2 Likes

Lots of fireworks for quite a long time, looks pretty cool :+1:

I just plant lots of destructible things around it- I actually made a mission template using that as an A-G training range.

2 Likes