SF2 always calls to me....

If you don’t own it already, the AeroSoft Bronco X not a recommended buy, since the systems have been updated to mostly work with P3D 4.x. That’s especially true with FS2020 inbound. But I will say that it’s a fun aircraft to fly, especially in and out of mountain valleys. The view is spectacular and the Bronco is a nimble aircraft indeed. I’m hoping that it will still work when the new sim launches.

So is that a “@BeachAV8R not recommended buy,” or a another “not recommended buy?” I’m confused. :confused:

2 Likes

It’s a Chipwich not recommended buy based on the fact that AeroSoft takes forever to fix it once a P3D update breaks it. I can’t blame them, because it’s an old product that’s not high on their radar screen compared to their newer offerings. Also, with FS2020 coming down the pipe, it would be a very long shot on whether the BroncoX is ever compatible. At times, it’s had a passionate following in their forum, but the lack of focus on it by AeroSoft can put the kibosh on one’s enthusiasm. If you’re a die hard Bronco fan, you might think that the $30 is worth paying for a sometimes supported 2012 product. After all, it’s the only game in town. Like I did. The last time that I flew it a couple of months ago, the sounds didn’t exactly match what the gauges were telling me for MP and RPM. Anyway, I still love flying it. Warts and all.

Update
Sounds fixed in a mid 2019 hotfix. You must login to the AeroSoft Support portal and add the product via serial number to download the new installation files. Paint kit also available.

Just puling your (and Beach’s) leg, but appreciate the detailed reply. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I need a BeachAV8R translator.

Don’t buy it…but… = Buy it if you are an enthusiast
Don’t buy it…however… = I like it, but you probably won’t
Don’t buy it unless… = Wait for a sale
Don’t buy it until… = Wait for it to leave Early Access
Don’t buy from those &@#%@! = They took my money for a crappy product

10 Likes

…unless you are a still running FSX. :open_mouth:

Ah yes, the fun times I had with the Aerosoft Bronco in FSX. I set it up with the TMWH control stick, a reasonable facsimile to the Bronco stick. For the throttles, it needs to have thrust and prop levers. I used a CH Throttle quad but clamped it on the left side and mapped the appropriate axises towards the right accordingly.

Once it was set up, it was awesome. I flew all kinds of flights. You can takeoff and land on a LHA/LHD using deck runs (TO) and reverse prop (landing) just as they did IRL. However, I really liked low-level flying. It was fast enough to be exciting but slow and nimble enough so as not to CFIT it into a hill.

I miss FSX :cry:

4 Likes

About Bronco:

I think Razbam is developing it to DCS

6 Likes

Every preview/teaser screenshot has been very well received, but little has been said beyond that. Quite a shame, as it would sell.

1 Like

4 Likes
1 Like

Beach, your SF2 fu is beginning to consume you. I can’t even get it to load in Windows 10. I’d beg you to share your inner secrets and how you are taming that which shall not be tamed, but I’m guessing that an article is imminent?

1 Like

Whenever I open up SF2 I know I can throw away a week of my life as I get it back up and running. And the vorpX/VR novelty made it even worse this time through… :rofl:

Hmm…I’m not having any trouble with the install I moved over from my other computer. I’m not running it in any compatibility mode at all. :man_shrugging:

I’m actually planning an article on the A-1 Skyraider, not so much on Strike Fighters and vorpX - but there is actually enough to chew on that I could do several articles:

A-1 Skyraider
Strike Fighters VR
vorpX

So yeah…at some point there will be content related to all three.

1 Like

I should qualify that. My install was a modified WOV / YAP2 one and perhaps that’s the reason. I see that there is a YAP3 now.

Yes, I vaguely remember managing all of the updates and the 3rd party weapons packs/management tool probably put my marriage in jeopardy.

Well done regardless. I should just walk, no run away right now.

2 Likes

So this was some fun single-mission action while I was doing some testing. The thing I really like about SF2 (at least my modded version) is that I can see the enemy bullets coming at me and can react to them. Ultra realistic? Maybe not…but it is FUN! Particularly toward the end of this mission (5:00 in the video), I can see the anti-aircraft artillery chasing my wingman across the sky ahead, and can see the tracers and puffs of smoke from the enemy that is shooting at him, so I’m able to roll in on it has its attention on him.

For VR, I’m probably going to need to pull those wingman menus and other onscreen text closer to the middle edges of the screen since I can only barely see them in VR. Though I could just map a different button to the “edge peek” function of vorpX - right now it defaults to the middle mouse button. Edge peek just lets you hit the button and the whole screen zooms out to allow you to see the entire screen in a theater type mode…it is quick, efficient, does not affect the game, and works.

You have to love the anti-aircraft artillery effects in SF2 as well. The thump and pop of the shells blowing up near you, the smoke puffs, and the occasional hits on your fuselage…all are fantastic.

My loadout on this mission were CBUs, 500 pound bombs, and rockets. I also like to modify the aircraft INI file to allow for larger bomb intervals. Many of them are like 20,50,100 choices and I prefer 50, 200, 300 to give me a nice spread of bombs that usually result in better results.

And yes, I’m using a modified cockpit other than the one that usually is installed with the A-1 (Dells created the original) - this cockpit borrows the F-8 Crusader cockpit, and I just like it…purists can string me up…

Regarding wingman commands - I could see where this game might benefit from voice activated wingman commands via Voice Attack or something. I’ll have to investigate that.

And finally - this sim/game in its modded state would be absolutely KILLER in multi-player. You know you want to do it TK - so do it!

5 Likes

Does SF2 still have that ‘thing’ where it ‘bounces’, where the the bounce seems directly related to the position of the throttle? Can’t recall if you could get rid of that or not. Been a while.

I have VoiceAttack + VIACOM Pro for DCS and really enjoy it. Was hesitant at first. Takes up a button (or two) on my HOTAS but has become another Can’t Live Without gizmo now. it does adds to the ‘process’ of getting everything up an running, but not a big deal in the end.

Oh, and this Vorpx thing: is it 3D? Missed that info somewhere. [nevermind I found the answer: Yes]

1 Like

Hmm…I’m not sure what you are referring to there. Are you talking about in the air or on the ground?

Thanks for the gouge on VoiceAttack - I think it would be a useful tool.

1 Like

I think I see it in your video (bounce); like you’re on the back of a galloping horse effect. The faster you go the more the thing shakes/bounces. If I recall it was just part of the FM, for everything; the cockpit pulsates up/down based on velocity.

Oh, I see what you mean…yes…it’s like a little pulse. It never bothered me…hope it doesn’t now… :rofl:

Ooops.

I downloaded and tried to get SF2V to run, but it hates me. It resets the control options and ignores keyboard input on game launch, like ESC or ALT-P. Tried a bunch of compatibility settings, but nothing worked. I should have known better to poke the bear. Going to jump in the DCS Viper and cleanse myself of this wretched software :smile: