SimBox NG

That’s a great idea @smokinhole!
Let’s go with that!

I made a template for drilling the rivet holes.

First sidewall complete!
My arms and shoulders are sore from pumping the rivet gun…! I would never have made it with the small one.

Looks good though, doesn’t it? :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Looks awesome!

1 Like

Pretty neat. Made yourself a homemade rivet fan, less the adjustments.

Wheels

2 Likes

:scream:
Had I known such a thing existed, I would’ve bought one!!!
Awesome!

1 Like

Too bad that we don’t live nearer. I’ve got one of those and a bunch of Clecos that you could borrow.

1 Like

So @Troll I don’t mean to state the obvious, but I don’t want anything to happen to you. As I see more and more steel walls being bolted on to that thing I can’t help but notice a distinct lack of air holes for its occupant.

Now maybe the helmet is part of a fully functioning oxygen system and I would not put that past you. I just want to make sure you are not missing anything really important like your own ventilation.

#BreathingFirstontheDesignDoc
#ConcernedinPortsmouth

5 Likes

Thanks for your concern!
However, the clever designers at ConTrollR have though of this. You see, every rivet has a hole in the middle. This allows air to enter the SimBox, and…gasses…to escape. :dash:

5 Likes

The scissor links works well in the extended position.
In the folded position, they don’t support the sidewall.
I had hoped to counter this with springs, but the walls are too heavy. Maybe if I change the geometry some…?
Or just add supports at the bottom?

3 Likes

I like the idea in its space efficient and mobile design instead of those huge unmovable units.

With this concept you can take it anywhere.

You might need like a door lock to solve that problem…

xOtra

2 Likes

That’s way more mechanical wizardry than I can deal with :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I see it now…placed right in front of the window so that when you punch out, you just fly out the window and land on the (i assume) soft grass or heather or moss or what every grows up there. Quite ingenious. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Trees, actually.
And, in the winter, snow…

1 Like

Good…very good…you should do most of your flying in the winter :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As winter is the longest season here, I do… :wink:

I’d just put flat latches on the sides to clip on when the sidewalls are folded in. Keeping it simple - may need 2 per side depending how sturdy you go but lots of options for it.

Flat metal spring hook latch could work well

1 Like

I’d like to keep the sides as clean as possible.
I have a few tricks I can try first… :slight_smile:

I think I have the solution…!

8 Likes

Simple, effective. This is elegance in the purest form. Beautiful.

1 Like

It’s BIG!
I don’t understand? It looked so small in the design drawings…

6 Likes