SimHQ Motorsports Dirt Rally

I will point out that it is completely playable with a controller.

1 Like

Yeah, but I don’t know… will it be fun?
I only have a steam controller, I have no clue if that would work.

But: I officially put the game on my Steam wish list yesterday. In the next sale when it is 30% or more off I will probably get it. For more than 40€ it is too expensive for me at the moment.

I am also browsing some sites now, maybe I will get a not-too-expensive wheel like the T150…

Depends on what fun is for you. Since you want it for pc wheel for be the best way to go. However you can still have fun with the controller. You might have to play with assists to get it right but still you can have fun.

Do an eBay search for Logitech mono. The black one is damn good. Might be able to find a decent used one for $40ish.

1 Like

I’m hooking up my wheel tonight while the Warthog is down for maintenance.

“WRC is for boys. Group B was for men.”

8 Likes

I’m just a boy, I can’t handle the Group B cars at all. Although i’ll have to this weekend, should be crash-tacular if I even make it to the finish line.

2 Likes

Agreed Mudcat! I praticed a little while last night, and that Peugeot is a beast! I cant finsih a stage driving that thing. The Audi is really powerful and hooks up in a straight line, but feels heavier than the others. If I can get RaceNet to connect I’ll join the rally.

I love wales!! Not sure Im going to love it after this one!

Sat down and hammered out those stages in the Lancia one after another. Just trying to be the tortoise, slow and steady, and just stay on the dang track, which even then didn’t always happen. One of these times I may even practice with the car and location I’m going to drive before the rally starts!

1 Like

:oncoming_automobile:
(^^ this is what we have for a racecar)

My G27 is making noises.

2 Likes

Uhh… noob here, asking: What was the difference between WRC and the old group B?
And what is the difference in the game? More power? Harder to drive? And if yes: why?

Also those bystanders are f***ing nuts!! :open_mouth:

And I have to say after watching that great vid: Those guys are just awesome drivers. Maybe the best in the world. I mean: Look at the “great” Formula 1 in comparison: They start crying when it starts to rain. The rally driver just flicks on the wipers. Or he doesn’t because he as them on all the time anyway since there are LOADS of mud on the street :smiley:
The F1 driver knows asphalt. Asphalt that was specifically made for racing, it feels like sand paper so it provides maximum grip. The rally driver may have three or four different road types in one stage. He has to know them all and react.
The F1 driver knows all his tracks by heart, that’s because there are only a few. The rally driver doesn’t. He has to trust his his co-driver to not read something wrongly and kill them both.
The F1-driver knows: If he misses a turn, then he has a 30 meters run-off area. Yeah, it can still be dangerous and deadly, but… look at the rally guys! They might just die on almost every corner, most of the time there are trees, cliffs, houses and stuff right beyond the corner markings.

EDIT: Also:

:smiley:

2 Likes

When a sport becomes too dangerous either for the drivers, spectators, or in the case of Group B, both, then the responsible action is to affect changes. For me it was watching the Mark Surer crash killing co-driver Michael Wyder, which was spectacularly captured by helicopter. I won’t link it here, but for the curious, it is easy to find on YouTube. I don’t think that anyone can watch that video without thinking that the formula was as out of control as Surer’s RS200.

As far as F1, I remember watching both Ratzenberger and Senna perish live the same weekend while visiting a friend in Munich. To think of how safe the F1 and WRC formulas have come is astounding, fatalities becoming the very rare exception these days.

In reality, I don’t think that it is fair to compare drivers between eras or formulas, although some have tried :slight_smile: . Could Seb Loeb have been a dominating Group B driver? Interesting to ponder, fruitless to debate, IMO.

Love the cat video!

http://rallytakeover.kinja.com/group-b-vs-wrc-car-comparison-1575274740

Not only more power but lighter as well, For example the Ford RS 200 Group B had on average 444 HP and tipped the scales at 2300 lbs. The Ford Fiesta RS(current wrc rally car) has about 318 hp and tips the scales at 2600 lbs. The RS had about 5lbs/hp were as the Fiesta has about 8 lbs/hp

1 Like

Just to add to the how insane they were, here’s some more on the RS200

However, the resulting four wheel drive monster was ‘the fastest
accelerating car in the world’, and as driven by Stig Blomqvist, a RS200
Evo achieved the 0-62mph (100kph) Guinness world record time of 3.07
seconds, a figure that stood for twelve years!

So yeah, they were like riding a rocket, The modern cars maybe putting up comparable times now with far less hp, but think of it this way, Group B was ended in '86, so it’s taken 30 years to get back to those kind of times, but only where the courses don’t have a whole lot of “straight” sections.

But back to the game, I can’t say it enough, but this has kept me entertained far more than I was anticipating. So many different era’s and classes of cars to choose from, and add to it pike’s peak hillclimb and rallycross. The league aspect also keeps things fun and interesting.

1 Like

Thanks for the answers, y’all!

…urge to buy this game and a wheel: rising.

2 Likes

Will be hard to get a better wheel for the same investment.

Used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G27-Racing-Wheel-Mint-Condition/262392452306?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D36469%26meid%3D84dc174180cb40f2a8be4e2317fdcf67%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D301938042276

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-G27-Racing-Wheel-/301938042276?hash=item464ce8e5a4:g:pSoAAOSwZ8ZXCCJt

New:

1 Like

We could add a new topic to the shiny new Hardware forum on Racing Wheel choices? :slight_smile: The Rudder Pedals one is very popular.

Also, if you use the full www.amazon.com link it’ll turn http://amzn.to/1T0kiS9 into

Thanks for the heads up ff. I had tried it, but the path didn’t get converted, probably because I use smile.amazon.com for the Wounded Warrior contribution. Let me fix that.

Wheel compro sounds like a winner.

1 Like

Need more convincing? How about Mudcat in the Mud while My Name is Mud plays in the background, on Mudspike no less

2 Likes

Wait… “My name is Mud”? Isn’t that a Primus song? (a colleage of mine is a huge Primus fan, otherwise I wouldn’t even know them)
EDIT: (can’T watch the vid right now, at work)

In addition to what was already said:

The main difference was homologation numbers. Group A (sort of what is now WRC) called for homologation numbers in the thousands. Group B was a few hundred IIRC and with regards to materials and boost, it was a Carte Blanche for engineers. Basically car manufacturars could take the state of the art and just go nuts. The cars that resulted were notoriously overpowered and required almost superhuman reflexes and memory of track stages. Every Group B race was essentially the Isle of Man where it was just a question of time until another bit the dust.

Less power/weight ratio means more time to react, more margin for (at least small) errors, lower speeds means shorter breaking distances, also if a crash happens the consequences are in general less dire, plus much improved active and passive safety for the drivers. In Group B vehicles, basically you need to think 2-3 turns ahead while in WRC cars you are usually fine if you think 1-2 turns ahead.

I wouldn’t marginalize formula racing. It’s a different discipline really requiring different skills, very few drivers in history ever managed to be top class in rally and formula driving.

I’m quite confident he would have been among the best.

2 Likes