So, how about another trek?

Reno:

The Mail Service airfield no longer exists… it is a golf course now.
Interesting reading…
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NV/Airfields_NV_NW.htm

Rough outline of where the airfield was (in red). I guess we will just use the Reno-Tahoe Intl Airport.

1 Like

Really strange looking Hawk :wink:

2 Likes

The author of this site has done the research for us…

4 Likes

So the question is, are we going to do this with a headwind (New York to San Francisco), or a tailwind?

I took a look at Reno using Forkboy’s ortho…

The golf course is the site of the original airfield (well, the northern half of it). Reno Tahoe Intl Airport can be seen a short distance to the East…

That is fantastic CP. For X-Plane 11?

1 Like

You made that? Very neat! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like

Good to hear from you CP! Was just thinking about you yesterday as they showed on TV some riots in Chile.

2 Likes

I apologize for the delay in looking at FSX to figure out what airports still exist, work sent me out to town for the past week with barely time to lay down before the next day started.

I hope to get that done tomorrow or at least this week.

Totally awesome!! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

So, tomorrow I think I will start the trek. I’m going to fly from the East coast to the West, which will give me a headwind to contend with.

My route will be…

New York: KFRG Republic Airport. As mentioned previously, Hazelhurst Field is now a shopping mall, but flying from Republic, you will pretty much fly right over the original site.

Bellefonte, PA . N96. The original airfield was on the site of the current High School. It is quite easy to find the school if you are using Ortho scenery.

Cleveland, OH. KCLE Cleveland Hopkins International Airport is on the site of the original airfield.

Bryan Ohio… 0G6

Chicago: KMDW Midway International Airport. The actual air mail field no longer exists. It was next to the Veteran’s Hospital that lies about halfway between Midway and O’Hare Intl.

Iowa City, IA . KIOW, Iowa City Municipal Airport.

Omaha Nebraska. KOFF Offutt AFB

North Platte NE: KLBF North Platte Regional.

Cheyenne, WY: KCYS Cheyenne Regional.

Rock Springs WY: KRKS Rock Springs Sweetwater Co Airport. The original field is now the County Fairgrounds at the Eastern edge of town.

Salt Lake City UT: KSLC.

Elko NV: KEKO Elko Regional Airport.

Reno NV: KRNO Reno Tahoe Intl Airport. The original field is now a golf course just to the West of the field…

San Francisco. We will have to use KSFO or KOAK but as previously mentioned, Marina AIrfield is now a park near the Golden Gate Bridge. It might be possible to land on it still. Worth a try anyway :wink: .

As @jenrick suggested, I’ll be doing this with pilotage and dead reckoning only with real weather. I was unable to find a decent DH-4 for X-Plane, but the Potez 25 is a pretty good stand in, both in size, performance and period.

I don’t see this one as being a race… it’s all about the journey. :slightly_smiling_face: .

6 Likes

Good call PaulRix.
I will do follow with some hops also.

But can’t promise to use anything period relevant :slight_smile:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Mudspike New York - San Francisco Air Mail Trek - 2020

I wonder if any of the Air Mail markers will be visible if you are using Ortho scenery… I’ll keep a look out along the way.

2 Likes

It didnt go well in the end :slight_smile: I didnt have the time to monitor the flight through out its course and ended up somewhere on the coast of Lake Eire, turned back SE and landed somewhere in the fields.

1 Like

I’m in…! So yeah, looks like Republic, NY (KFRG) to Bellefonte, PA (N96) - a 201 NM jump for the first leg.

I’m going to elect to go with the spirit of the journey rather than the technical details…so my VFR tour across the United States (I will not be using NAVAIDS either…pilotage and dead reckoning only…) will be done in a classic aircraft seen from coast to coast…

4 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mudspike New York - San Francisco Air Mail Trek - 2020

:smile:

Would be cool to create new thread in Pics&AAR section. Just a thought.

1 Like

Good idea - Paul’s post and some replies moved to the new thread: