So No Joke, There I Was

I’ve realized that we don’t have a single unified thread for us to tell our collective “there I was” stories. I know that we’ve all had our chances to intersperse them into the various threads, and even given how much we all enjoy derailing threads, I figure there are some good stories that deserve to be shared for posterity (at least the versions that we can share publicly). So with that in mind, I figure maybe it’s time to start a separate thread for this!

I’ll start off with the Time the Reagan Raced Her Battle Group.

Summer of 2004. The Reagan was in the middle of her transit from her construction yard in Newport News, Virginia to her new homeport of San Diego, California. This was early July, and was the day before we crossed the equator for the second time (on the Pacific side). At the time, we were steaming with the destroyers Mustin and Benfold, and the oiler Camden. We’d just finished playing with the Pacific Fleets in Summer Pulse '04, and were in our final preparations for our arrival party at our new home. Morale was at an all time high, and the command had decided that we’d have a steel beach picnic on the flight deck for the crew the next day.

Word had filtered down to Reactor and engineering the week before that the CO and XO were interested in doing a race of some kind with the ships we were sailing with, and our reactor officer, an old cruiser guy (who I think was one of the last nuclear cruiser CO’s left in the fleet at that time) was very, very visibly excited by the challenge, and making sure that not only would we win, but that we would win by a lot. He immediately started huddling with the technical section heads and they got to work on devising a plan.

I should probably explain that due to the unique intricacies of nuclear reactors and steam plants, getting up to speed as quickly as possible isn’t just a matter of winging open the throttles as quickly as possible and holding on. Because of how a pressurized water reactor’s power level in the application of a propulsion plant is directly affected by the steam demand on the system (here’s a link explain a bit better: Pressurized water reactor - Wikipedia), there are careful parameters that have to be followed to ensure that no protective safety systems kick in from the lag and overshoot that result from the way reactor power level changes. In addition, the effects of shrink and swell in a boiler (which is basically what the steam generators are) also plays a role in limiting how fast throttle changes can happen (that last part will be important a bit later- we’ll come back to it). Add in all the various pieces and parts of supporting equipment, controls, etc, and there’s a lot to do.

The Reactor Officer and other department heavies developed a plan, and the RO passed it on to us personally, a gleam in his eye even brighter than the one when he’d been acting CO in Rio de Janiero a month prior (that’s another story). We didn’t know then exactly when the race would be taking place, so just to be on the safe side, all the watchteams were briefed, even going so far as having each one step through and simulate what needed to be done when and in what order the next time they were on watch.

Race day finally came, and I was lucky enough to be off watch. We all came to a stop and the smaller ships maneuvered into position alongside us, and we waited for the official start to kick off the race. I stopped through Central Control, where the Engineering Officer of the Watch and his team keep an eye on both reactor plants, as well as topside engineering monitoring a lot of other parameters from around the ship (and where I stood my senior in rate watches as well). The RPM indicators for all four shafts would jump from time to time, as the throttlemen in each plant would roll over the mains to keep the turbine rotors from bowing- basically revving the engines.

I went up to the flight deck and grabbed a spot on the starboard side forward and waited for the race to start. Benfold and Camden were off on that side, and Mustin was off to port.

At the sound of our saluting cannon, the race began. I wish I could’ve been a fly on the wall in either of the plants or central to watch how they did everything, but the view was much better topside.

Both of the DDG’s took early jumps as their gas turbines were a bit faster to spin up, and the Camden stayed about even with us for the first little bit, before we saw a sudden large burst of smoke from her stack, and she began falling behind us pretty quickly. Within a couple of minutes we had caught back up with the two destroyers, and we watched and waved as Benfold’s prow slid past our view, then behind us and behind our fantail. On the other side, Mustin was doing the same. We kept going for a bit longer, until all three ships were rapidly receding dots in the distance, before we again fired our saluting gun, and coasted and slowed to a stop. When it was all said and done, it wasn’t even close.

We found out later that in their rush to accelerate and keep up with us (Camden may have had a shot, as the Sacramento-class AOE’s were specifically designed to keep up with fast carrier groups), she’d managed to blow out the fire in one of her boilers, and it took a while to get it re-lit. We’re thinking that it was probably due to a swell condition. Basically, the sudden drop in pressure inside the boiler and steam header due to the massive change in steam demand from winging open the main engine throttle led to a huge inrush of feedwater. This may have led to overflowing the high side of the water drum, and put out the fire. So that was what happened.

Our honor safely intact, we continued on our way, before stopping the next day for a great party topside. The Reagan family and Santa Barbara Navy League had flown out steaks and chefs to cook them (to order) for the crew (MAN those people had deep pockets), and a couple of buddies of mine had started a punk band with a couple of other folks aboard, and they were invited (along with the detachment of Navy Band Southeast who was riding with us) to perform for the crew. Needless to say, a good time was had by all.

26 Likes

Fantastic story! Did they never give the Camden a chance for a rematch?

5 Likes

Thanks for posting this @Navynuke99 that was fricking awesome to read! Man, carriers are so badass.

4 Likes

Sadly, no. The race was pretty much a one and done thing, then we had to get back to work. Plus, according to a guy in my shop who was talking to a girl on the Camden at the time, they broke something in one of their engine rooms. Plus, within the next week or so, we started having our own engineering issues…but that’s a whole different story…

8 Likes

I swear I could read these for hours…

3 Likes

In layman’s terms, you try to avoid this:

:open_mouth:

7 Likes

I mean, so long as there’s not a crazy swinger love triangle (no guarantee of that aboard an aircraft carrier), and no manually-operated control rods (definitely a guarantee), you should be fine, right?

Edit: this is what I’m referencing there:

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2017/ph241/berrios1/

7 Likes

OK a great (horribly great) article…where does the love triangle come in?

4 Likes

http://environmental-defense-institute.org/publications/SL-1Article%20Rev5.pdf

Apparently, the story goes that Byrne was having marital problems, and Legg may or may not have been involved with that to some degree. There are old nukes from way back in the day in a couple of social media groups I’m in who claim to have known the men involved at SL1, or known people who knew people, etc etc. I take the story with a grain of salt, but it does make for some interesting intrigue.

9 Likes

So the issue here now is that I can’t wait for @Hangar200’s and @Navynuke99’s next stories!

Basically I can fully relate to my daughter who says “Please! More storytime!” every time I close a book :smiley:

4 Likes

Excellent story and well told. Great picture of what is good about life in the navy. The comradery and playing with the big toys. Sounds like a fun time. Jell-O called it “fun-jail” on the cast the other day. I thought that made a lot of sense :wink:

2 Likes

But… Could it melt steel beams? :rofl:

5 Likes

Although I suspect I would have known it was coming I am not certain if I would have been as aware as a teenager but I knew even before you said it that they would relight the plane. Good way to test and reinforce your training though.

Wheels

3 Likes

Ah yes, good times in the firefighting trainer. It was the same way going through it at RTC Great Lakes, and even though it was the middle of January, it was still hot afterwards, particularly with an old OBA on.

I was friends with several of the photographers (one of my best friends was the ALPO of the print shop, and as I’m sure you know, they shared space with the photo lab), and they may have had firemen fetishes. Any time word went over the 1MC that we were running main space fire drills, at least two of the ladies from Photo were somehow always there waiting at the repair locker when we came out of the plant, sweaty and wearing our firefighting gear halfway undone. Good times.

9 Likes

22 yo ENS Hangar200 was caught completely unaware :grin:

7 Likes

Maybe he was neutered

7 Likes

Music Videos for Fun and Morale, or: How to Tick Off Admirals

Getting close to the end of our time in the Persian Gulf during our maiden deployment back in 2006, my usual watch officer, Lt Christensen came up with the idea of making the video. I don’t remember exactly how it came about- there may have been a round of midwatch EOS (enclosed operating station, where the folks controlling the reactor and main engines sit) karaoke, or it may have been a cross-plant Movie/ Music game (we did a LOT of that on that watch team), but the idea was definitely all hers.

Anyway, emails went out, calls were made, and the video was shot on our way home from the 2006 deployment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsnlO-hpc_8

It immediately went viral, and it was shortly after this that the stuff hit the fan, and not in ways anybody expected.

Apparently The Powers That Be at Naval Reactors were very, VERY unhappy about some of the things shown in the video (one of the Ellison doors to the propulsion plant spaces among them), and our captain (who you see in the video on the bridge and in his cabin) was required to fly to DC for a…talk… with the 4-star Admiral in charge of Naval Reactors (3rd-highest ranking Admiral in the Navy) about what I guess they considered to be release of confidential material.

Further, the guy dancing in the yellow anticontamination (anti-c’s) gear (starts at 0:49) was forced to have a nice chat with somebody pretty far above the CO’s head as well, for improper use of nuclear-related items. Funny thing is, there was an entire series of videos put out by the ship’s media department that featured him dancing in the same anti-c’s as PSA’s about what to do in the event of spills, loose radioactive material, etc. Go figure. By the way, he’s now a film maker in LA.

I like to think that the Navy wasn’t ready yet for the quickly developing field of social media, and didn’t know how to react to what was some of the fairly early viral content that came into being. A good friend of mine is now the trustee of the Master recording, and he’s had to upload it to Youtube several times, after the Navy ordered it taken down a time or two. I think after all this time, it’s going to be up for good.

< begin soapbox >

One thing that’s come up in discussion a lot among veteran groups the last few years has been the general lack of recognition our sisters in arms get for their service. Hopefully videos like this are helping create greater awareness.

< / end soapbox >

And as an interesting aside, Claire Phelps was one of the brilliant sailors I was fortunate to serve alongside (she’s at 0:46-47 in the video).

9 Likes

Human nature in these hierarchies. Usually the middle-managers that get all wrapped around the axle; those trying to eat their way to the top (or just upper-middle management)

2 Likes

Eating their way to the top? I guess it’s gotten so hard and competitive now that kissing is out of the question.

1 Like

You have to remember that this was 2006/ 2007, and viral internet content was a new thing. And the old guys running the Navy were probably nowhere near being on the up and up as to what it was or how it could be beneficial to the service (I’m guessing- I was never high ranking enough to have much contact with those guys with stars on their shoulders).

Are you talking about the “I’m on a Boat” video? That’s STILL one of my favorites, and it’s HILARIOUS.

I think you’re right on that. My ship got waaaaaaaaaay too much up-close and personal contact with Naval Reactors the year before (I’ll tell the unclassified version of those stories another time), and it was absolutely the opposite of fun. And my understanding is they’re slightly more fun than they were under Rickover, which says a LOT.

And yes, the NR interviews are still a thing; one of my LPO’s (watch supervisor qualified 1st class before he got picked up for STA-21) finished his bachelor’s in Physics at UT (the one in Austin), and The Powers That Be decided after interviewing him in DC that they didn’t want him back in the nuke world. Go figure- he just wrapped up his first command tour in charge of a PC in Bahrain as a LCDR, and is definitely on the fast track. Maybe NAVSEA 08 did him a favor without knowing it.

Yep, the same. And if I remember correctly, if you watch the PBS Carrier series, during the (incredibly brief) mention of the nuclear propulsion plants and the nukes who run them, one of the things they show is in fact one of the Reactor Room doors on the aft mess decks. Again, Big Navy being decades behind the times (see also: uniforms).

4 Likes