Solar Eclipse (2024)

Any Spikers in the path of totality or traveling to the path?

I’m in the DFW area. Will be dark in about 3 hours. Funny thing is I am about 5 miles to the northwest of 100% totality. But I will not be traveling. (Got some personal matter to tend to at home.) Anyways, 99.9% ain’t bad.

9 Likes

Just FYI wear either red or green clothing during the eclipse and during you’ll be seen wearing purple… fun science fact. lol

3 Likes
5 Likes

9 Likes

It’s happening. :grimacing: another 35 minutes or so til 99.9 % totality in my area.

7 Likes

We’re pretty much socked in with clouds, and of course we’re in the totality path. At the moment I just have dark clouds.

1 Like

Had major cloud cover during totality, so much that I was able to shoot this with no filter on my phone.

8 Likes

Filter applied to a Samsung 22 phone.
99.9-ish% totality about 5 miles from the path.

Obviously it didnt get completely dark outside, but it felt like 45 minutes after sunset.
Cool phenomenon.

Next eclipse over the USA

Next one over Texas: 2317 :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Some phone shots. We got lucky… almost completely overcast a few minutes before totality, but then the a gap in the clouds drifted in. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

Just looked like Pac-man here. Was better 7 years ago.
Guess I’m waiting another 21 years for the next one which should pass overhead.

2 Likes

Currently in Chicago area and we got a 90-some % …got a little bit dimmer…but nothing like the total we saw in the Smoky Mountains in 2017… Temp definitely dropped rapidly though…

6 Likes

LOLZ

8 Likes

People underestimate that 10% of the sun is still extremely bright.

The 1999 solar eclipse went right over my house. (While I was in Denmark of course, so no totality for me. But it was bad weather anyway).

It was still impressive, but I had assumed that the 60% or so that I saw up there would change anything. It didn’t. If I had not looked up (through clouds and with filter) I wouldn’t even have noticed.

1 Like

during the one in 1999 I worked for ESAB a welding equipment supplier … so there were about 7 of us stood outside wearing welding helmets staring up into the sky

3 Likes

Some light high level cloud cover here

14 Likes

Excellent shots @Fridge!

2 Likes