Sopwith Camel Joystick movement

Hello All:

I’m still tinkering with my WW1 controls. Appealing to any WW1 RoF / FC (or John Shaw actual builder type) guys:

Can anybody make a rough estimate of how many degrees the stick moves fore-and-aft and side-to-side to ‘full stop’.

THanks

1 Like

I cannot. However, I think there have been a few WW I aircraft control sticks that folks have made…they might have some specs.

You could try http://www.thevintageaviator.co.nz/contact, they restore and manufacture WWI aircraft here in NZ.

Or Montrose Air Station. They have built a Camel replica and should know, or be able to check.
https://rafmontrose.org.uk/

They are closed right now (COVID19) but I’m sure they wouldn’t mind if @Troll hopped over, scaled the fence, jumped into the Sopwith cockpit and started banging the control stick back and forth…in the interest of science. :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Lol @Hangar200, the old better to ask for forgiveness than permission theory. :innocent:

Wheels

1 Like

let me know if you need bail money…

1 Like

For visitors. There are staff answering their facebook page…

1 Like

They can do that from home…I say go for it and jump the fence! Meanwhile I’ll begin a Kickstarter for the bail money. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Years ago (I was in my early twenties IIRC) I took a week off uni to go to Portugal with my parents. I saw in a brochure somewhere that there was an aviation museum outside the city, so I took the train there.

I got there and I was literally the only person in the museum, apart from the sleepy looking employee eating his sandwich at the ticket office.

The museum was good, though - but what was a bit bizarre was that the Spitfire they had was practically hidden in a faraway hangar corner, rather than the grand stand you’d kind of expect.

The cockpit was open and the only obstacles between her and the public were a couple of Merlin engine blocks placed a few feet apart.

I looked around and decided that this moment was definitely a gift from above and I shouldn’t waste it. I spent the next 10 minutes sitting in the Spit cockpit in the silent hangar, grinning like an idiot the whole time, before climbing out unnoticed. :grin:

4 Likes
© 2020 Mudspike.com | Articles Website | Forums Rules & FAQ