Sopwith Control Stick

Hola Toll:
Hope you are well. Got Camel Stick assembled and am playing with it. I will post pics shortly. Thanks again for the springs. So, now I’ve determined that my rudder pedals are overkill, so I’m going to build a simple (but kinda accurate) Sopwith Rudder bar. I would like to aggregate / combine? both of the controls into 1 USB cable. So, if I throw another Pro-Micro on the rudder, is there a way that I can plug in the USB from the Camel/Saitek into that device so that I only have 1 USB cable going to the computer - or should I stop trying to be too clever and just have 2 USB cable inputs to the PC; 1 for rudder and 1 for stick?
Thanks, El Gordo

1 Like

I don’t think you can use another pro micro. Unless, of course, you use a USB hub somewhere… Every pro micro will have its own USB ID.

But, you could use a 5 lead chord from the pro micro in the stick, to the sensor in the rudder.

I use these so called Aviation Connectors
GX12 (12mm dia) 5 pole.

No Pro-Micro in the stick; I guess I was confusing when I said ‘another’. I was referring to the rudder pedals that I built prior. The stick is just a stupid Saitek that I bolted my hardware on. It already has a conventional USB out, so maybe I just go the lazy route and pick a couple of unused signal wires off of the Saitek and break them out to my rudder bar. I could use a rotary pot with an arm and link to the rudder bar - that’s pretty Hobo, but I could hide my shame in an enclosed box behind the bar.

OK; pics of the completed stick. Very lo-tech guts - just built on a Saitek Gargoyle. Works as per T.O.

6 Likes

Here is my throttle - kind of a joke; based on the THrottle / Air Mixture handle on a Camel (etc)

6 Likes

Good job @MollyMaguire !

What unused signal wires you have on your mind ? I checked the web and it seems to me like this joystick doesnt have a twist grip. So I guess you are out of axis now.
Or is there possibility to conect another axis to the Cyborg main PCB ?

Pro Micro for the rudder bar and mentioned small USB hub hidden in the Cyborg base could be good solution here.

GREAT JOB! :smiley:

Ah! Of course.
If you use a Pro Micro controller windows will treat it as a stand alone USB controller. I guess you could wire the stick sensors (pots?) and buttons to the Pro micro controller and get a single USB unit that way. Or, if you have unused axis inputs from the joystick, you could use those to the rudders.

The stick looks great, BTW!
Well done!

1 Like

NEVO:
thanks for the enlightenment. I was under the misapprehension that I could just grab any signal line, throw a rotary pot on it to vary the voltage, and ‘turn it into’ an axis control. I’m learning all the time…

So, if I Pro-Micro the rudder bar and run that into a USB hub and plug my Sai-Camel into that as well, will the Windows Game Controller app(?) consider that one game controller and be able to sort it out? Will all of the signals be available for mapping in ROF?

thx again

Can Windows recognize more than one controller concurrently? If so, maybe i will defer combining the two devices and just have the 2 cables…

Usualy these controllers have limit for number of axis and buttons they can recognize and control. So I guess thats not possible to use any signal for axis.
But I could be wrong.

Regarding Pro-Micro bar and Sai- Camel connected to USB hub. Windows will always recognize them as two controllers.
Hidding the USB hub in the Sai-Camel base will provide you just with single cable between PC and the stick base, thats all.
Another good thing is that both these controllers will be recognized by ROF without issue.

In case you want to have both, the bar and the stick, recognized as one controller then you need to follow the route suggested by @Troll i.e. replace the Cyborg main PCB with single Pro-Micro and wire all the axis and buttons to it.

Sure it can. Atm I have connected three different controllers ( stick; collective with rudder pedals; throttle :slight_smile: ) and I am able to map them all in DCS and XPlane.

I guess this could be similar for ROF.

Sure there is some limit for each game how many controllers it can recognize.

So yes. The easier approach in your case is two controllers and two cables.

What @NEVO said. :slight_smile:
Only older sims may have a problem using multiple controllers.

Thanks gents!

I am off to Ireland for vacation, so when I get back I’m going to dive into my rudder bar project…

2 Likes

OK; Electronics guys: How far… can I send signal from a Hall Alegro A1324 to a Pro MIcro. I would like stick and rudder bar to share one ProMicro if possible…

Can somebody show me where these wires would (could) land on the Pro Micro? Thanks

Any port marked BM here.

Hi Gennulmen: I have a(nuther) question about the ProMicro. I built a switch matrix (1x3) it kind-of works, but on the test screen whenever I press a button it lights 3 positions. But - 3 different positions for each switch. Like 6 7 8 for one button; 10 11 12 for button 2; and 14 15 16 for button 3. Does that imply that I have the diodes backwards? following are a couple of graphics of what is happening
3button

schematic of the ProMicro and connections