SpaceX - What Goes Up.. 21 Dec 2015 Launch

Latest SpaceX launch and potentially powered landing via a live webcast.

“The SpaceX launch webcast is targeted to begin at approximately 8:10pm ET with the five-minute launch window opening at 8:29pm ET”

http://www.spacex.com/webcast/

2 Likes

omgomgomgomgomgomg

1 Like

The Landing Zone. Might be easier than a barge…

Keeping my fingers crossed, really hope everything goes ok with the launch, and that they nail the landing this time!
Those spetacular explosions are a bit too expensive me thinks…

I love the modern space race!

1 Like

Btw, has the new landingpad been given a name?
The barges sure got some interesting names, what was it… Just read the instructions and Ofcourse I still love you?

1 Like

I’m not sure about the landing pad name, but the barges were all named after Iain M Banks series of ‘autonomous mind ships’. The culture series is an amazing sci-fi read if you’ve not read them, and those barge names were sort of dedicated to it (although Banks sadly died last year in 2013 at a young age).

The mission is payed for by the launch stage, i.e. getting that payload up there. Anything else that is kept obviously helps, but allows them to experiment without cost consequences. If they nail it then their margin’s will improve for sure :smile:

The mission is payed for by the launch stage, i.e. getting that payload up there. Anything else that is kept obviously helps, but allows them to experiment without cost consequences. If they nail it then their margin’s will improve for sure :smile:

Oh yeah, I know, right now they’re just taking the opportunity to experiment with the landing, kind of a side mission with a nice bonus if it succeeds really.

But the last one, that blew up during launch must be quite a hit for them. Plus, it’s no good for attracting future customers. Anyway, I just hope they make it, competition is key for us to ever go anywhere I believe, and Musk has some damn cool ideas!

stream is up

2 Likes

Cleared the tower.

Oh wow! It landed.

Wow. That was nice!

1 Like

YES! That was awesome!!!

1 Like

Their webcast tech is getting better. Felt like a sports event with that crowd going wild. Such a good feeling to see that vertical landing - so sci-fi in looks. I didn’t think they were going to show it live (they said they wouldn’t) but I think they just went for it once that orange glow in the background of the shot appeared at the cape.

1 Like

w00t!

1 Like

11 sats are off. most exciting 20 minutes :smiley:

Awesome, just… awesome!!

1 Like

Plus that’s about 75% off the cost of the launch, as that stage 1 can be reused. Incredible stuff.

1 Like

If anyone missed the landing, it’s about here:

1 Like

Long exposure of the Launch, Reentry Burn and then Landing. Nice…

I’m still kinda amazed they got permission to let a ‘missile’ come down over Florida. I guess the range guy had his finger on the button, but the way it hurtles down is pretty exciting…

2 Likes