SSD prices and Uboats

Well I know what I’m reading about tonight! Thanks that’s incredible

2 Likes

I don’t see it…
From the link above, the avg. price for 1TB is just under $200 and the 2TB is under $400.
That’s what I’m seeing in online stores over here as well. Depending on the brand, I can get one 2TB SSD cheaper than two 1TB.

1 Like

Let’s not get too carried away arguing value for money guys :slightly_smiling_face: it’s a very subjective variable!

Ask my wife her opinion on just how good value for money the TMWH I bought on special was…I can assure you our views did not align on the matter. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Should these discussions be moved to an SSD thread?

And not to be off topic too…wow, can’t wait for more information about MFS2020.

2 Likes

Hmmm … what happens if there’s a leak? :thinking:

1 Like

That’s generally a submarine issue regardless :slight_smile:

6 Likes

:laughing::laughing:

1 Like

That’s…horrifying.

I know what I’ll be having nightmares about tonight…

Out of curiosity, what class boat was this?

1 Like

This was a while ago. A Swiftsure class boat.

Excellent idea!
Who would’ve thought we’d get a thread derailment here at Mudspike, huh? :wink:

1 Like

:grin:

2 Likes

Western Digital’s Blue series is well priced, especially for us Canadians:

https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-blue-1tb/p/N82E16820250092

https://www.newegg.ca/western-digital-blue-500gb/p/N82E16820250091

I’m thinking of grabbing a couple 1TB drives myself.

2 Likes

Nice, thanks for those links.

Canada Computers also has them, similarly priced.
I couldn’t use their links as the forums picks it up as Facebook. I guess CC’s URL format was too long and it scanned the page for the first info, which was their FB link.

Not that it matters a lot but I should say, but those are the slowest M.2 slot drives I have ever seen - ‘up to 560 MBps’ is not great for a M.2 stick. For about $40 extra CDN you could get NVMe 1.3 for a read speed of say 3480 MBps.

Hmm, that’s odd. Saw them on another site listed at a much higher speed so I didn’t double check on Newegg. Will have to dig further.

1 Like

Yeah, maybe they are listing the 2.5’ form factor specs when M.2 is selected. Worth a check anyway I guess. I agree with you that it’s likely that newegg is sort of bust there.

Well it appears Newegg is correct, their listing matches Western Digital’s website. The other site I saw listed near 3,000 speeds which is why I bookmarked them, but is has since been revised.

Strange to make an Nvme drive that slow. Guess I’ll have to stick with WD Black or a Samsung Evo.

1 Like

That’s really interesting, I remember we had pneumatic PID controller back in my control theory class lab which actually worked (on air). You could change the proportional gain, integral and derivative constans with valves.It had dimentions of small cabinet. Purely mechanical.

Ortho scenery is great. Similarly great are storage requirements of such generated scenery.

I have 500GB internal SSD and it is on its limit already.

So I watch price for Samsung EVO 2TB internal SSD but there is no movement in several months.

Does it make sense to go for Seagate / WD 4TB 7200rpm external HDD instead? It is less than half the price of that SSD.

Main purpose will be running XP11 and for Ortho storage.
Is it wise or better to wait one year for MS FS XX with its streaming ortho scenery engine?
I tested FlyInside FS but was not realy happy, quality wise, with the Bing sourced streamed ortho for other places than US.

edit:

I think I can run a test. I realized I have WD 500GB 5400rpm external HDD somewhere.

I can copy my XP11 folder there and will see.

edit2 : SSD vs HDD

The loading times for XP11 are double with HDD in my case.

Loaded scenario = a/c: C172 (default); a/p: LOWI (default); t: 1200; w: CLEAR;

SSD load time : cca 60s -vs- HDD load time : cca 120s

FPS were identical.