Star Citizen Alpha 3 AAR

Star citizen 3.0 alpha is released on the “released branch”. So you don’t need to copy you info and download the PTU (Public test universe).

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I was using. All public for all, although it’s not exactly overly ready as yet. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh sorry about that. Thought you were on the public test server that was released to all.

My apologies.

Edit, I can see on your installer picture (now) it says live… D’uh. Bogus is off for brain cell injection… :wink:

1 Like

It certainly seems much better optimized now. I wish they would start fleshing our ships systems and multi crew functions more. They have quite a few multi crew ships now but almost zero functionality.

So, how far out are they from making an actual game? I remember following SC news years ago but then just getting bored with the “BUY ANOTHER EXPENSIVE SHIP” news that they were releasing and with the lacklustre video’s they put out. It looks pretty but what type of gameplay can we expect?

I must say. If you think that doing the controller “dance” in DCS is time consuming process. Then doing in star citizen is down right painful.

Honestly the state of the mapping controls UI in Star citizen is mind boggling and frustrating. I honestly think they never looked at a modern simulation to see how it should be done.

I simply don’t have a swear jar big enough.

Anyhow. I have a basic ship control mapping done, flew around a bit and I am ready to join up in the verse if anyone is interested.

Still easier than BMS control configuration. :smile:

3 Likes

I’m always around for some SC fun… look me up

1 Like

A little while ago, I lost all my money from filling the Cutlass full of what I could afford. Unfortunately the server crashed and hence my ship and all cargo were lost.

But it really doesn’t take much to get your money back and I am up to 50K UEC. What I ended up doing was picking up trade delivery runs of one small hand held container which usually gives you 150 UEC. Upon delivering the cargo and receiving your money, the surface station usually has a trading kiosk which I then load up what I can. Deliver back to Port Olisar for a profit.

I have no searched for best trade runs or anything like that, so it shows that money can be easily gained.

I also tried today different missions. Recovery from wreck sites. These usually entail (from my experience) a bandit jumping in to hamper your collection and maybe a police vessel as well. 2 bandits down and I realised that combat is quite fast.

It doesn’t take long to fill your hold once you get going and then the money flows in.
The Cutlass is Chocka mate. (aussie slang for full)

Decided to start decking out the character and found out that armour is more expensive than you think and its modular. E.g. you pay for helmet, torso, arms and legs and comes in light, medium and heavy varieties.
Light offers 20% damage reduction
Medium offers 40% damage reduction
Heavy offers 60% damage reduction

There is a trade off though when going for armour or full heavy armour. That is weight. You can also carry more items with certain armour but that also impacts your weight. Extra weight means less stamina and when your stamina gets low enough the penalties of massive oxygen consumption and the inability to perform actions can be a detriment.

Heavy helmets also have a drawback of reduced peripheral vision in trade of protection which makes sense.

The modular aspect is quite good as it affords some customisation of your suit.

Here my suit is comprised of …
Heavy - Helmet and Arms from Levski
Medium - Torso from Port Olisar and Legs from Levski.

Weapons are Arclight Laser pistol and Laser assault rifle. Magazines and utilities also show on the character and as you can see on the front, I have two grenades (because I can) med pen, spare magazines and oxygen injector.

There is a bit of a range for civilian clothing as well which offers quite a large choice of customisation. However, I can’t see why you would spend money on these items at the moment as you need a pressurised suit to get to your ship. But its easy to change on the fly from the mobiglass.

2 Likes

Can’t play right now (broken PC) so here’s a short question:

Is there a option now to prevent the game from moving your head? Unfortunately that makes me highly nauseous very quickly.
Worst example is getting into a pilot seat and without you controlling it your avatar looks up and down pushing buttons and so on. I do that 5 times or so in a row and then I have to quit the game.

I have no idea. Those scripted animations for me are annoying, i couldn’t imagine it with induced motion sickness.

I will try to have a look the next time i play.

There is a keyboard bind for flight ready and pwer off. Can you try that to see if it will cut out the animation?

1 Like

Good idea. Will try that as soon as I have a PC that can run it again.

Another little cargo run.

My one and only ship was stuck at Levski (on the moon Delamar) a long way away and my body was spawned at Port Olisar.

Luckily enough after a quick plead in chat, another commander decided to give me a free lift. Quite friendly really considering that once we left the armistice zone, each of us could have attacked the other inside the ship. But it all went well.

Looking down the “pit of Despair” at Levski. My kind taxi host dropped me outside the station. Small price to pay for a short walk considering it was a free ride.

So dropped off at Levski, I ordered my ship from storage and sold the previous contents. Loaded up a new transport mission and set sail for a small mining station on a different moon.

It was a long ride to planet-fall. The destination was inconveniently located between two orbital markers. So I bashed the screenshot button whilst hurtling towards the atmosphere.

Landed and loaded up with cargo from the mining station. The Cutlass can hold a lot. I had to purchase several different types of cargo as there was not enough of the good stuff to fill the hold. “But if you have the space, ram it in,” I say.

I was a little worried when I purchased the cargo. The local Comms array went down. This is what pirates take down to stop the area being monitored by the government in order to conduct their lawless deeds. As I was still inside the station at the trades kiosk, circumstances warranted a quick sprint into my ship as it was not covered by an armistice zone.

All went well though and now with engines and shields operational, I lifted off to a vertical attitude. With as much power as the cutlass could stand in the atmosphere, we shot for space and zero G.

Looking up the mobiglass, I was pleased to see I could navigate a straight line from the mining station to port olisar.

Otherwise from here…

To here.

With a boom the hulking Medium fighter/hauler known as the Cultass Black bounced to normal speed at the correct location.

Called up Olisar on the comms and promptly awarded landing clearance. With laziness in tow, autoland was engaged and the Cutlass A.K.A. Headbox-a-Tron made a smooth touchdown.
One last glimpse to make sure she was all locked up to avoid grand theft auto in space and its time to run inside and sell the goods and some Benny’s. MMMMMMmmmmm

3 Likes

It seems some of you guys are having fun, on the other hand I feel robbed …

no, really, check this out:

1 Like

They left the undercarriage on, which is something? :slight_smile: What a weird bug.