Steel Beasts - Gauging Interest.

@fearlessfrog can we make Michael Dukakis the badge for steelbeasts at mudspike?

I wish I could have been there :frowning:

1 Like

I too am sorry I couldn’t make it. I got my license updated and the sim installed and ran through a few of the Abrams tutorials to confirm my binds on Saturday.

Then I had a whole pile of family drama on Sunday that was definitely not originally in the plan for the day.

Looking forward to another chance to have my own Dukakis moment in the cupola.

2 Likes

Like, uh… this?Medal

or this?
Medal2

1 Like

Oooh! The first one.

1 Like

2nd tutorial mission (from the camp hornfeld series) is ready to go.

As always this and any other mission will be available anytime just give me a shout.
4 x M1’s

DESTROY AN INFERIOR FORCE.
In this exercise, Company Team ANVIL is conducting a tactical roadmarch along Route JOHNBOY from assembly areas southeast of Camp Hornfelt to occupy company Battle Position JUNIOR vicinity Blauheim.
ANVIL is comprised of three M1A1 tank platoons, an attached mechanized infantry platoon, and a headquarters element with a command tank, FISTV, medevac, and maintenance track. All other company assets are co-located with the battalion field trains.
You command the first tank platoon.
A section of the battalion scout platoon is screening forward of the company team.
Your platoon precedes the main body of the comapny team by several minutes and is tasked as the quick reaction force if the scouts contact anything along the route.
From the Line of Departure to Phaseline JIMBO contact is not expected, travel at march speed. From PL JIMBO to OBJ JUNIOR contact is possible, move using an overwatch technique.
Take instructions from the company team commander, ANVIL SIX. As the first platoon leader your callsign is RED ONE. WHITE, BLUE, GREEN, are the callsigns for the second through fourth platoons respectively. The battalions scouts are PONY.
You will receive a GO at this station unless you fail to destroy the inferior force, your platoon becomes less than fully mission capable, or you take much too long to complete your task.

DESTROY AN INFERIOR FORCE. (FM 17-15 Tank Platoon (1996) Chapter 3 Section VI Execution - Platoon Tactical Tasks)
To maintain the tempo of an attack, the commander may order the platoon to destroy an inferior force, based either on his original plan or on recommendation of the platoon leader. The platoon leader usually employs maneuver techniques (fire and tactical movement) in executing this task or course of action.
When the platoon is in contact with the enemy, he designates one section to overwatch or support by fire to suppress and/or destroy the enemy while the other section moves.
The moving element uses appropriate movement techniques as well as covered and concealed routes to move to a position of advantage over the enemy.
This position may offer dominating terrain that allows the platoon to attack enemy positions by direct fire, or it may provide covered routes that enable the section to close with and assault the enemy.
After the platoon leader designates the route to the next possible overwatch position, the overwatch leader identifies graphic control measures and assigns responsibility for suppression of identified enemy positions.

Cross-talk among sections and vehicles is important in ensuring mutual support while the overwatch is providing supporting fires during the other section’s movement to the position of advantage.
After successfully destroying the inferior enemy force, the platoon positions itself where it can most effectively prepare for subsequent actions.

2 Likes

3rd tutorial mission (from the camp hornfelt series) is also ready to go.

As always this and any other mission will be available anytime just give me a shout.
14 x M1’s

ATTACK BY FIRE.

In this exercise, ANVIL Company is tasked with fixing and destroying an OPFOR tank company. Your platoon (1/A) will take part in the attack by fire.
The Red company is a standard ten vehicle tank company comprised of T-80U’s and reinforced with a three vehicle motorised rifle platoon comprised of BMP-2’s. The Red company is travelling west and is expected to transit Engagement Area DOG GIRL.
ANVIL Company is assigned duty as a Quick Reaction Force for Task Force BLACKSMITH which is performing security operations in the area. ANVIL is a standard fourteen vehicle M1A1 tank company with three platoons of four vehicles each, along with XO and CO tanks.
ANVIL will fix and destroy the Red tank company.
Using surprise, co-ordinated fires, and the terrain advantage of hull-down firing positions, ANVIL will overwhelm the Red company and destroy it with direct fires.
ANVIL will march along Route JUNE BUG to occupy blocking positions (ABF1 and ABF2) overwatching EA DOG GIRL. First platoon will lead the march, followed by Second, Third platoons, the XO, and the CO. First and Second platoons will set at ABF1. Third platoon and the XO will set at ABF2. The platoons will occupy hide positions as indicated by the map graphics, e.g., First platoon will occupy BP1, etc. The CO will occupy an observation position vicinity grid 118 153. Once the Red company is fully in the kill zone of EA DOG GIRL, the CO will initiate fires by giving the command to occupy firing positions. Due to the range at initial contact, the platoons will fire near-to-far, engaging the closest targets first.
TRP A0012 is preregistered and is set for an ICM fire mission at ANVIL’s command. The CO will order A0012 at the beginning of the engagement in order to seal the rear of EA DOG GIRL.

You will have several minutes between your arrival at your battle position and the Red company’s arrival in the EA. You may use this time to select firing position for your platoon.
You may, from the F5 map screen, right click on your unit icon and use the ‘divide unit’ function to separate your platonn into sections or individual tanks.
You may set individual fire positions by right clicking on the map and selecting the ‘new waypoint’ function.
By setting tactics at the new waypoints, you can assign priority sectors of fire by manipulating the fan that is displayed on the map.
By clicking and dragging the dot in the center of the displayed fan, you can select the relative to which the unit will attempt to seek a hull down position.

Make sure, however, that by the time the Red company approaches the engagement area, you are in your hide position. Triggering the ambush early or deploying to your firing positions too late will cause unnecessary casualties.

2 Likes

OK have a nice mission for tonight (or whenever people want to get on to do it on a different day)

Its a great small mission pre made by Apocalypse involving 4 x Bradley’s. We can have more or less than 4 participants as extra abilities from Multicrew would be helpful in this mission (not giving anything away am I? )

Raid on OBJ AARDVARK by Apocalypse
SITUATION Enemy - A man with deep ties the Taliban has been rallying forces in Dalam. In the recent weeks they have gathered at least 200 dedicated fighters, and have rallied enough combat power to expel a Company of Afghan National Army Soldiers. His forces are heavily eqiuipped with AK47s, PKCs, and RPG-7s. Additionally, they are masters of surprise - and have been known to spring near ambushes on combat patrols.
Friendly - Earlier today Human Intelligence identified the location of this High Value Target. A Special Operations raid team is assembling and will be wheels-up shortly. Your platoon is tasked with establishing an outer cordon for this raid. The HVT has a strong following and we need all the firepower we can get.
Local - The local populace has been known to support the Taliban in recent weeks. We are unsure of their actions if we remove the HVT from Dalam, but there’s a good chance tha they will take up arms against us if they are aware that the HVT has been detained by NATO forces.
MISSION Establish a cordon around OBJ AARDVARK to allow a Special Operations Team to conduct a raid to capture the HVT
EXECUTION Your Platoon will establish a cordon around OBJ AARDVARK, then notify the raid team (Trigger 1). They will insert at the LZ then move, dismounted, to their objective. Once they are complete on the objective, they will move back to the LZ and exfil on the helicopter. Once the raid team is wheels up, you may RTB.