Switching vid cards...

My 1080 TI arrived… Tomorrow I will switch the 980 with this one, if it fits. It’s huge!

What’s the best procedure here?

Just set the existing card up as a generic vid card, and swap ‘em?

Use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to clean it out, and then swap ‘em?

1 Like

I had some weird issues when I went from a 780 to a 1070 so I’d suggest you use DDU then swap.

1 Like

I went from a 970 to a 1070 and just swapped 'em. But I am lazy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just small hand :wink:

5 Likes

Yip. Not a bad thing to do. Start simple.

EDIT: I also offer as a volunteer to dispose of the old 980 for you. And listen this… FREE OF CHARGE! I’d even pay shipping. Uh? What a great guy I am! :smile:

5 Likes

Dangit, I was going to volunteer as tribute.

1 Like

Oh. No. You. Did. Not…! :scream:

1 Like

I took old card a 970 out and plonked the 1080 in. I got the latest drivers and away you go. Windows 10 seems a lot more forgiving than previous Windows where drivers and stuff are concerned :slight_smile: Enjoy cranking those settings up and you realise you need more CPU power to get the best out of your new beast :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Next step… :wink:

Well…whats it like? Its tomorrow already!!! :wink:

1 Like

Got called out on a flight…!
I’m on the phone with our union guys. We need to update the contract. No flying when new hardware or software is available. :wink:

2 Likes

Tell em we have the 2.5 changelog and you will resume negotiations on Friday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

WOOOOHOOOOOO!!! :rocket:

This thing rocks!
I have only done a few testflights in IL-2 and DCS.
I haven’t played with any settings, but same scenarios with the 1080TI shows a substantial improvement. Where I usually get 90 FPS with ASW kicking in almost 50% of the time, there was a solid 90 all the time now. Even in DCS:Normandy and in DCS:NTTR with mirrors on.

As I need to earn money to pay for my toys, I’m now leaving on a 4 day run. Back on Friday evening…
So, you guys have fun in 2.5 now. :cry:

2 Likes

Safe trip, I may have my download complete on your return :slight_smile:

Glad about the card :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am so thinking of doing the same - switching out a two year old 980Ti for a 1080Ti. But my mid-sized case is limited to the shorter GPUs that are ~10.5" long.

I can’t believe the 1080 I bought a year ago for $800 is now $1300??

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126116

Sell it!

LOL…and go without gaming for a few weeks or months? NEVER!!

Just imagine the money you could make?! :laughing:

I have 7,500 watts of solar array on the roof of my house. I should be mining (apparently)…