For those that do not know, TacView allows you to record, analyze, replay and stream tracks created in:
- DCS World;
- Falcon 4.0;
- IL-2 Sturmovik;
- Lockheed Martin® Prepar3D®;
- Microsoft Flight Simulator;
- VRS TacPack & Superbug;
- Enemy Engaged Comanche vs. Hokum;
With the Advanced and Enterprise versions, you can also do on-line debriefings. Pretty cool.
I’ve had it for a number of years and it is really useful to take a look at engagements and see where I went wrong. At times it can be a little complicated and, for DCS, server admins need to enable the export, otherwise you get nothing useful.
Anyhoo, there’s a new update which seems very promising with hints at an upcoming ability to rate your carrier landings without having the judgement of others … unless they have the track, and then you are out of luck :-).
I will see if I can’t keep on top of the updates as they become available.
Tacview 1.7.2 is available
- Release Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018
- Operating System: Windows® 32-bit / 64-bit
- File Size: 238.4 MB
Time to get your hands on the brand-new Lua SDK!
This release is a big step forward more customization: I have integrated Lua 5.3.4 in Tacview and started to develop an easy to use API. Now, anyone with some programing skills can create addons to extend existing features and even add new features to Tacview!
How to create your own addon?
- Create a sub folder named after your addon in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\AddOns\
- Create a file named “main.lua” in this folder (it will be automatically loaded at Tacview startup). It will look like C:\ProgramData\Tacview\AddOns\My Addon\main.lua
- At the beginning of your script, reference the latest API like the following: local Tacview = require(“Tacview172”)
- Now you can use any of the features documented in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\AddOns\Tacview Lua * Interface.txt to create your own addon!
- LuaSocket 3.0 which has been integrated in Tacview and ready to fulfill all of your connectivity needs! Just reference it as usual: socket = require(“socket”)
Keep in mind that this is a first iteration. While the current API is still relatively limited, new features will be added over the coming releases. Just let me know whatever you need. I will do my best to add more Lua functions, so everyone can develop the addon of your dream.
Have a look at the samples are available in C:\Program Files (x86)\Tacview\AddOns\
The most notable example is the Landing Signal Officer (currently in development) which (will) displays an LSO view when you select an aircraft carrier as switch to cockpit view. This addon will soon automatically score landing attempts.
Notable improvements for DCS World
A new option has been added to DCS World option page: Terrain Export .
No need any more to wait for a new release of Tacview every time a map has been updated! Simply select [ Predefined Terrain ] if you want to re-export a terrain which has already been integrated in Tacview, or [Unknown Terrain] if you want to export a brand-new map. Then launch a mission in the center of the map and wait patiently for the load to complete. The exporter will automatically export all the surrounding tiles in C:\ProgramData\Tacview\Data\Terrain\DCS World\
It is a long operation: It will look like DCS is frozen at the end of the mission load. This is normal, just wait for 1 to 10 minutes (depending on your system) for the terrain to be exported. As soon as you are in the mission, return to the main menu and disable the terrain export feature (to not wait 10 minutes the next time you launch a mission!).
Now, the next time you will launch Tacview, it will display the terrain tiles you have just created!
This very feature was used to integrate the Persian map in Tacview and to update the other maps with the latest version of DCS World. Some airports may not be visible, this is normal, they are not part of the terrain, they will be manually added in future updates of Tacview.
My current plan is to continue to update Tacview 1.x and to use it as a test bed for the new features which will be available in Tacview 2.x.
Indeed, I have started to work part-time on Tacview 2, working first on all the necessary tools to develop it. The goal is to offer you an even more intuitive, fresh and modern UI, a smoother experience on low-end systems, and easier and more customization possibilities, on all platforms: Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS, and Android.
That way, you will not have any excuse anymore to not review your last mission, on you cell phone, in the bus, on your way to work.
FEATURES & CHANGES
- A branch new Lua SDK is now available to create custom addons
- Added preliminary support of DCS: F/A-18C Hornet and J-11A
- Added an option to export DCS World terrain from the exporter (manual or predefined)
- Added support for zipped STRM1 and SRTM3 files
- Integrated DCS: Persian Gulf Map 2.5.2
- Updated DCS: NEVADA Test and Training Range Map to 2.5.2
- Updated DCS: Caucasus map to 2.5.2
- Updated DCS: Normandy 1944 Map to 2.5.2
- Integrated IL-2 terrain texture pack declaration from Lefuneste (http://tacview.net/download/addons#il2)
- Added an option to disable custom textures
- It is now possible to edit the position of static objects like bullseyes
- Added support for triangular terrain custom textures projection to be compatible with IL-2 maps
- Camera view is now reset when starting real-time telemetry recording
- Double-click does not switch anymore to/from full screen if shift or ctrl are pressed
- Improved support of objects dropped from aircraft in DCS World
- Added preliminary support for P3D native weapons
- Added [/DisplayFrameRate:on] command line option to display the frame rate in the 3D view
- Improved a bit the performances on lower-end computers
- Improved time-shift tool ergonomics
- Added /RealOnly:true command line option to disable export capabilities
- Added /ResourceFolder:“xxx” command line option to specify additional content directory
- Improved ergonomics of the add/edit object dialog box
- Added ATC style label with speed in Mach
- Labels of disabled objects are not displayed anymore unless selected
- Current time is now displayed as an ISO-8601 string in the 3D view
- Object position is now displayed in the 3D view only when pressing SHIFT
- Improved important objects list readability
- Media are automatically synchronized if the date is provided in the filename in ISO 8601 (like 20180807T211323Z)
- Added /SessionProductKey:“xxx” command line option to use a specific product key only for the current session
- Custom quad terrain projection was not always working properly
- Fixed random cracks in SRTM1, SRTM3, EECH, and DCS World terrain
- Improved acmi file merge with improper time stamps
- Invalid numbers INF and NAN are now gracefully handled by the acmi file importer
- Panning speed of the maximum zoom in satellite view was too fast
- Files recorded in the NTTR map were a bit larger than in other maps
- Objects outline was not properly displayed when terrain was set to 3D water
- The TacviewGameGUI.lua script for DCS World was not properly uninstalled
- Mirage 2000 AA missiles names are incorrect in DCS World 220.127.116.1165
- The telemetry displayed between selected objects is now properly placed regardless of the point of view
- Fixed rare random crash when loading 3D models
- It was possible anymore to time-shift an object which does not have exist in time (like a bullseye)
- The objects lists were not always updated during real-time telemetry recording
Missed an update? Here is a summary of the previously introduced improvements:
- 1.7.2: Brand new Lua SDK to create custom addons, improved 3D performance, numerous fixes
- 1.7.1: Numerous fixes and minor improvements
- 1.7.0: Brand new objects database, numerous new 3D models, media playback
- 1.6.4: Numerous fixes and improvements
- 1.6.3: Added cockpit instruments, IL-2, support for custom textures/orthophotos, and improved remote controls
- 1.6.2: Improved remote controls, improved DCS World exporter, numerous fixes
- 1.6.1: Fixed online debriefing, added fuel telemetry, and preliminary support of IL-2
- 1.6.0: Real-time telemetry and instructor remote control
- 1.5.4: Improvements and fixes for the new DCS World exporter
- 1.5.3: Brand new exporter for DCS World offering a smoother flight experience and more telemetry data
- 1.5.2: German translation by Marcus Carra and numerous fixes
- 1.5.1: Support for X-Plane, rewritten FSX2ACMI, improved ACMI 2.1 format, objects creation and edition tools
- 1.5.0: New telemetry engine & file format, more accurate replays, Spanish translation by Miguel Víctores Franco
- 1.4.3: Support for custom terrain textures and static objects KML files
- 1.4.2: Advanced BMS 4.33 support, 4 hours long trails, new telemetry tools, debug log
- 1.4.1: Improved online debriefing, Falcon 4.33, DCS World 2.0, and performances with Radeon graphic cards
- 1.4.0: Online debriefing, Garmin G1000, KML files, DCS World 1.5, bookmarks, improved RTL languages support
- 1.3.4: DCS World Nevada terrain and Hawk T.1A support, improved 3D labels, objects list, and DTC files support
- 1.3.3: DCS MiG-15bis, Falcon 4.0 DTC files, fullscreen, telemetry walls, improved declutter
- 1.3.2: Telemetry in 3D labels, de-clutter, improved auto-scale, support for SRTM1 terrain, bookmarks for MiG-21
- 1.3.1: DCS World Bf 109K-4, large Falcon 4.0 theaters, FSX2ACMI auto-launch, TrackIR, grey destroyed objects
- 1.3.0: Strategic view, custom Falcon 4.0 theaters, lift vector, Chinese translation by 张炯 ‘Billeinstein’ & 姚尧 ‘@6’
- 1.2.8: FSX & Prepar3D support, Falcon 4 BMS Ikaros theater, Improved DCS World and CSV files support
- 1.2.7: DCS World MiG-21bis, Fw 190 & F-86F support, improved auto-scale, roll-rate
- 1.2.6: Distant objects auto-scale, file merge, CSV flight recordings, CSV flight log export, Aspect angle
- 1.2.5: DCS World Steam edition support, improved advanced telemetry, doubled trail size
- 1.2.4: Improved DCS World support
- 1.2.3: DCS World 1.2.3 support
- 1.2.2: Fixed a crash when opening a file in Windows XP (regression)
- 1.2.1: Added turn-rate and turn-radius, added ‘border’ static objects, improved performance
- 1.2.0: DCS World support, advanced telemetry (radar-locks, IAS, gears, flaps…), improved Falcon 4.0 support
- 1.1.1: DCS: Black Shark 2 support, Falcon 4 Israel theater
- 1.1.0: Native Falcon 4.0 support, telemetry data export in CSV, lag filtering, support for Steam versions of DCS
- 1.0.0: DCS: A-10C Warthog support, improved HUD, G, AOA, Mach, charts, GPX files support, worldwide basemap
- 0.9.5: Flaming Cliffs 2 support, DCS recordings are about 3 times smaller, customisable recording folder
- 0.9.4: EECH support, improved file format, improved performance, added Corsica and Nellis terrain
- 0.9.3: Black-Shark support, ballistic weapons, accurate Lock-On terrain, new labels, sun, uses 40% less memory
- 0.9.2: Preliminary support for Black-Shark, customizable GUI, improved flight recordings compression, properties
- 0.9.1: Lock-On runways, public file format, Windows Vista support, Falcon 4.0 theaters, Digital Fighters support
- 0.9.0: Improved 3D landscape, ribbon trails, SAM/AAA domes, free camera, automatic export script installation
- 0.8.5: Flight log can now be exported in XML format, vertical speed displayed in m/min or ft/min
- 0.8.4: Cockpit view, french translation, 3D-view objects selection, static objects, airports names
- 0.8.3: Added support for Cyrillic, Imperial units and compressed binary files
- 0.8.2: More accurate and comprehensive events log
- 0.8.1: Export script is now compatible with other add-ons like LotAtc
- 0.8.0: Fixed a crash while loading some flight recordings