Very frustrating problem I’ve just encountered on my Win10 64 machine trying to program my Warthog …
I click on the Target icon (even with “run as administrator”) but it won’t start up! (it used to work fine) …
I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling both the drivers and the T.A.R.G.E.T. software and reflashing the firmware but no luck.
Have any of you seen this? I’m having no luck with a search for “TARGETGUI has stopped working” on Google.
Update … it doesn’t like MSI Afterburner AND/OR the current RivaTunerStatisticsServer. I’ll narrow it down later.
That sux. I had some CH issues after the Windows update yesterday but it seemed to resolve itself after some restarts.
lol windows 10. Ruining people’s computers since inception.
Don’t start raggin’ on Windows 10 Rhino!
It’s a good OS and the situation is under control.
I don’t even think I was using MSI Afterburner/RivaTunerStatisticsServer at this point anyway!
If anyone can get my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke working with Windows 10.64, it would be much appreciated.
LOL one more reason when my parts come in, the OS is being resintalled as Win7 Ultimate. Seriously, the yokes are still having problems with 10?
Did I just open a can of worms?
Nah. I was considering installing 10 tbh, but I keep seeing all these problems with drivers and peripherals and stuff and it’s just not worth the hassle.
Go for 10 Rhino … I’d never go back to 7.
April 18, 2017, 11:18am
IIRC the creators update broke stuff,
Creator's Update & TM-Target issue ?! - PC Hardware and Related Software - ED Forums
I hope you find a fix
This appears to be the fix
The workaround is, just copy d3d9.dll from c:\windows\system32 to the folder where program that is crashing is installed C:\Program Files (x86)\Thrustmaster\TARGET\x64
Thanks Cib. I’m not even sure if I have the creators update installed. All I know is that if I go “Update Windows”, it’s current. My Windows underwent a large update last week so that was probably the creators update since I’ve been seeing quite a few changes.
Anyway, my problem was with RivaTunerStatisticsServer. I was running ver 6.5 so I just updated to the latest (beta) ver 7.0 and everything is ok. I have a feeling Riva and Target were probably trying to use the same “hooks” or something.
I’ll keep your solution in mind though if I ever run into that again!