Team Fusion is looking for VR Beta testers for IL-2 CloD/Blitz/Tobruk

I am cautiously optimistic, but then again, VR is an afterthought with CloD… On the other hand, Team Fusion has done a lot of magic with this old broken sim.
Can’t wait to see for myself!

3 Likes

Duuuude, it still looks glorious…
I just hate the menu and GUI with all my considerable strenght.

2 Likes

The only problem I have with IL2 is the frustrating experience in VR of being able to see the control I want to manipulate but not being able to remember the keybind for it.

Oddly I don’t have that problem with the FC aircraft - they’re probably simple enough that even my memory can keep up with them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Where clickable cockpits become essential is in VR. I mean, yes, HOTAS still works. But it is highly frustrating to me to have to fly this way. I can SEE the cowl flap handle. IT’s RIGHT THERE! But I have to remember that it’s mapped to the 2nd wheel behind the mixture. And then there are the rearm and refuel commands. JUST MAKE THEM GUI BUTTONS! But no. We have to remember that it is right-alt-R or whatever.

Oh. Sorry @Torc . i wrote before getting to your post.

4 Likes

You said it better than me! That’s my exact frustration!

2 Likes

Me too! Especially if it runs as well (or close to) as CloD did in 2D. I love the graphics and flight/damage models of the game, and it was butter smooth in MP a couple years ago. My fingers are crossed that they get it right, and I’m very tempted to sign up for the Beta.

Agreed completely with both of you. I’m not an old man, but my memory and attention span are a lot shorter than they were when I was a gaming teenager. Even then, it was difficult to always remember all of the keyboard shortcuts, remember how computer games used to come with a cardboard keyboard overlay? (Back when they were purchased from physical stores you visited in your car, and came in great big boxes!) The original Operation Flashpoint came with a triangular contraption you put together and set on your desk like the specials menu at a restaurant table, with all of the controls on it for infantry, vehicles and aircraft, which I thought was genius.

Then consider that in VR we can’t even see the stinking keyboard, and have to map everything to HOTAS. Then I might want to fly several types of very different aircraft, with very diverse controls, that all have to be bound individually. Work and life events (by which I mean wife and kids) might mean that I have to drag myself away periodically, and might not touch a game for a couple of weeks. So when I come back to it I have to recall all of the bindings I set up last time, lol. It’s impossible!

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s best (for me) to bind everything that I need in-flight in as standard a way as I can (I fly in a physical Hornet simpit, so everything gets bound similarly to a hornet), and any switches that are used in startup or on the ground get clicked with the mouse. Eventually when I finish my side consoles, I’ll be able to fly the Hornet without ever touching the mouse, but otherwise, there’s going to be some mouse clicking involved.

Sorry, I meant the IL2:GB series. CLoD did, and very well implemented!

4 Likes

^-^ It’s absolutely ok, I swear my memories are all wired up wrong and I sometimes can’t even remember my name!

Buzzsaw announced at Il2 forum that to date he received nearly 200 applications.

Long live CloD! Not a bad interest from the community provided it was first released in 2011. Team Fusion is doing an exceptional work in keeping this gem alive and kicking.

I do wish VR brings more people to this title.

3 Likes

Here’s hoping we can stress test the dev server with even a quarter of those players … I remember big dogfights in the old ATAG days fondly!

2 Likes

Have you tried it yet? I just had time to install it and sit in the cockpit and will give it some more time this evening.

CloD in VR…

Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

3 Likes

Is it out now? Vr integration? Because i wouldnt mind trying this…

As closed beta. It is available in Steam if you applied and was accepted by Team Fusion.

I just woke up. Will install and try it out. Remember the “NDA” though :slight_smile:

2 Likes