The Airplane Cutaway thread, AKA "I can see the naughty bits"

I didn’t see one of these, so figured I’d start one. Always fascinated by cutaways. First thing I look for is the ingenious way fuel is stored on aircraft, but also amazing how radar, avionics, and sensors are crammed into every available space

This ones not actually a cutaway, it’s just a crocodile tht came back after it’s armor was all shot to hell, so they ran with it:

9 Likes

7 Likes

It’s amazing how huge the weapon bays on the bone are. I wonder how it’s max payload compares to that of a buff.

3 Likes

Aaaaah! Great thread!
I love CATIA/Cut-away pics!

2 Likes

IIRC the B-1 can carry more actual bombs (IE Mk82 etc) but less total weight of munitions.

The Bone can carry 84x500lb Mk 82s and 24x 2000lb MK-84 or GBU-31s. And in case the world goes mad A single B-1B can carry 24 B-61s or B-83s

I believe internally it can carry up to 75000 lbs of munitions vs the 70000 lbs total(internal and External) the B52 can hold.

2 Likes

My 60” 4K monitor is coming in REAL handy right now. :wink: Great thread.

3 Likes

Surprised the Bear has such a relatively small bomb bay:

I’m sure the Ruskies had their reasons, but I’d think moving the wing (and COL vs CG) back would allow more bomb bay space, especially considering they saved considerable room by moving the main gear outboard.

Buff for comparison:

2 Likes

4 Likes

these are fantastic … tempted to use the hind one as wallpaper :grin:

Oh, you all had plans this weekend? That’s cute:

[evil laughter]

I love how almost pointless the Little Bird cutaway is:

“I mean, would have been faster to just take a picture with engine cowl open”~The Illustrator, probably

3 Likes

That’s cool anyway. Simple is good. Would have been nice to see a cutaway of the front of the rotor mast(?) cowling to see the control rod bell cranks and how simple that configuration is. I didn’t realize that the AH-6 has MFDs.

Thought I should share what I have on my bookshelf. :grin:

7 Likes

SAAB Draken, Viggen and Gripen…! I went straight to Ebay and got a copy!
Thanks for the heads-up!

I have that same book! :slight_smile:

Yeah, the AH-6 is essentially a baby apache, and built with room for expansion to unmanned operation.

A little Gannet action to kick off your tuesday!

Really nice read: https://www.faaaa.asn.au/gannet-images-media/

PS: Love how magnificently complicated the flaps are!

5 Likes

In keeping with shadowing the pics thread:

1 Like

Are those Sidewinders??

I want that in DCS MP…sneak around in the valleys getting killed a million times, just to one day get that sweet sweet humiliating message “Bearhedge in P-3 has killed xXxFlankergankerxXx in Su-27 with AIM-9”… :smile:

3 Likes