The last of the dambusters

Deeply saddened to learn of the passing of Sqn Ldr George ‘Johnnie’ Johnson DFM MBE. The last Dambuster. He died peacefully in his sleep last night surrounded by his family.
Three years back I was priviledged to hear him speak on his experiences on Op Chastise with “Just Jane” as his backdrop. A very modest and courteous gentleman.

14 Likes

Vale Sqn Ldr Johnson. As someone else who has been privileged to meet and know other WWII veterans, you will be sorely missed.

2 Likes

Rest in peace and thank you!

1 Like

My wife worked with Johnny Johnson for a few years when he was a teacher at Balderton Hospital here in Nottinghamshire. Apparently a very nice man and a real gentleman.
Though as she is so pleased with herself and her anecdote and he shared his name with the Fighter Ace and top allied scorer…I refer to him as “not the real Johnny Johnson” to wind her up!

4 Likes

Johnnie Johnson…

:wink:

1 Like

RIP :tumbler_glass:

You may decide you are close enough to Woodhall Spa to see the film about Johnnie and the Sorpe mission. It is at the Kinema in the Woods on the 16th May. I will be going at 1900 probably having a meal at the former Dambusters Officers Mess beforehand. Any excuse to ogle the pictures and memorabilia.

1 Like

That sounds interesting and may be good for an “eyeball”. I would have to check my calendar - got a lot of bike related stuff on in the coming months but I hope I’ll be free and welcome to attend, too. :slight_smile:

Interestingly (perhaps) a chap who runs films and lectures at Kinema In the Woods lives two doors up from me and is a good friend. The lectures aren’t military in nature, though - he covers the history of British cinema. He’s got a mini cinema in his garden (you may have seen it on Look North) and a huge collection of very old projectors and films.

1 Like

This Johnny Johnson was a Lancaster Bomb Aimer with the Dambusters, not the fighter pilot @Troll

2 Likes

I know.
Although both men spelled their lastnames the same way, their nicknames are, for some reason, spelled differently. James Edgar Johnson, the fighter pilot, is called Johnnie, while the bomber, George Leonard Johnson is Johnny.

2 Likes