The longest day - June 6th 1944

To honor all of those that took part in the single greatest military act of liberation, ever and since.

12 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Visual Jokes or Intensity

Considering that the passport check is a consequence of the Brexit, this is a tad political at this point, and would have been better posted in the Jokes thread.

2 Likes

I’m surprised that they weren’t pre-cleared.

Back when I was jumping, my brother Bill and I had the pleasure of making a few skydives with a gentleman who had jumped with the 101st on D-Day. He was prepping for the 50th celebration, in which he would be joining a group of fellow vet paratroopers to recreate the Normandy drop. 30 years goes by quickly my friends. Anyway, he looked fit and needed no assistance. In fact he moved around in the air quite well for his age. If I can find my logbook, it would be good to see if he was anyone from Band of Brothers fame.

6 Likes

Eh, maybe it’s more raw for folks in the EU, but I don’t see it as political at all, just a necessity of the normal Customs customs. Kinda funny, but understandable.

At 0:52 there’s a landing that made my back hurt. Oooof! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Maybe… but of all the videos available on youtube and whatnot regarding D-Day and the honor to the fallen, he posted only this one. Poor taste here- would have been perfectly funny in the Jokes thread.

Yes, I noticed that too. Not much of a PLF. I wonder where the poor devil learned that technique?

1 Like

I think that maybe you are over analyzing a little here @komemiute . It’s obviously something that had to be done seeing as the UK is no longer a part of the EU,but there is a certain irony. I’m pretty sure nobody had to go through passport control when they jumped into Normandy 80 years ago. As Dan said, it’s surprising that this process wasn’t done beforehand.

3 Likes

In a day, and a thread, made to remember what united the best of humanity- I found that video simply a poor choice.

I think that the French authorities should have been more discreet. It comes across badly considering what was being commemorated. I’m sorry you feel your thread was derailed.

1 Like

I dunno. Maybe that was a REMF on his first jump of the year or something. I bet he’s an inch shorter now.

1 Like

I took the liberty of moving the post with the passport video to the jokes thread.

2 Likes

Tbh I don’t see it as being humorous. Ironic, but not funny.

I guess so, but the thread I moved it to is actually called Visual Jokes or Intensity.
This thread is by OP’s wishes a salute to those who gave all for freedom in Europe.
I guess that was the reason why those passport carrying paratroopers came across the channel too, but the way it became the focus of the video was a bit off, I guess. It just shows us, yet again, where media want to draw the focus, even on such an event.

3 Likes

Understood. I’m looking at it as an ex-British Serviceman, as is Scoop. It’s amusing in its irony. I still think the process should have been handled more discreetly.

Moving on….

1 Like

Nothing funny about the video at all. It is very sad.

1 Like

Nothing funny at all about the video. It is a very sad reflection on jobsworths and an act of disrespect

There may be a perfectly normal explanation, like someone on one side or the other, didn’t get a form submitted in time. But whatever the reason, I can’t imagine that the Douane were not feeling a bit silly during the process. That had to be as embarrassing for the administrators as for the troops going through the line. Hell, they should have been handing them glasses of bubbly rather than checking their papers. One would think such a memorial is beyond politics, at least for the guys with boots on the ground.

3 Likes

The first book I read about D-Day was Amazon.com and it’s still one of the best, in Czech translation from 1994.
The first time I visited Normandy the 30 years after reading the first book about D-Day. Destiny or chance? I don’t know. Finally, I was there! :sweat_smile:

I have been lucky to see the world’s only working Tiger II from the French Museum Saumur. Normandy 2024, a few days ago.

6 Likes
2 Likes