The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

Hmm…can you see where my NC ortho ends and default TN begins?

4 Likes

The trip planning pages of the GTN 750 are very nice - if you hit one of the buttons it uses the aircraft sensors (fuel flow, fuel remaining, speed) to give you some nice summary information about your trip:

Weather is starting to break up a bit approaching Nashville, TN…

1 Like

Getting ready to cross back into ortho coverage…

XMAS-049

Coming up over Nashville, TN - I have a particular fondness for this airport. Long story short - the engine on my King Air blew up one night at about 2AM about 30 miles east of Nashville. With the engine still burning, we made our turn back toward BNA while declaring an emergency…and those tower controllers put runway 31 on full blast lighting and it looked like a carpet made of gold laid out right in front of us as we completed the turn. Just a glorious thing when you have fire out on your wing…!

4 Likes

My favorite thing to do is to tell passengers (if they ask) that the river we are over is the Mississippi…no matter where we are. Every big river is the Mississippi…

(This is NOT the Mississippi…it’s the Cumberland River…)

Not sure what I’m hauling in the back - I think they are appetizers to go with @chipwich’s beer?

4 Likes

Actually the Mississippi…

2 Likes

Forkboy2’s orthos are really just jaw dropping…

XMAS-055

XMAS-056

3 Likes

Halfway there…!

Yep…looks like Kansas…

XMAS-059

Going to shoot the RNAV 35 even though it is VFR…just for practice…

XMAS-060

1 Like

So descended into Salina, KS - here you can see how the GNS 750 puts part of the approach chart on the moving map - a pretty cool feature.

Gear down outside the final approach fix - approach is armed…

Psuedo-glideslope starting to come alive and it captures and flies down just like a precision approach…

On the ground - time to find some BBQ!

Tomorrow we head for Colorado…!

6 Likes

WOW that ortho scenery is jaw-dropping.

Too bad I only have like 200 gb left on my SSD. That’s what you get when you have FSX, P3D, X-Plane and DCS all installed at once :wink:

2 Likes

LOL…yeah, I uninstalled a bunch of big Steam games that I don’t play and I still couldn’t find enough room…

Alrighty - gonna head west for a couple hours, but then I have an engagement to go to - so this will be more of a “wherever I end up when my wife is all dolled up” leg. Working my way toward KEGE (Eagle, Colorado)…

As usual - track live on this map (this is old school Twitch): http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

1 Like

Ooph…54 knots of wind…fortunately only 26 of it is headwind component…!

XMAS-067

Coming up over Wilson Reservoir just east of Hays, KS…

XMAS-068

2 Likes

XMAS-069

3 Likes

The Front Range should be coming into view soon!

Ortho photos: seeing the earth in all its glory for the first time in a sim.

1 Like

Yes - it is pretty darn phenomenal to know that each place is unique. I can’t imagine how many ortho-based scenery developers this is killing (for instance Real Scenery and Mega Scenery)…but progress happens.

As for XP11 - I’m getting by with SkyMaxx Pro, but I’ll be thrilled to death when a more robust weather engine (with less hassles) comes along. The whole SkyMaxx Pro + RWC + NOAA + Ventura Sky) is a PITA.