The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

The weather is pitying me for my lack of ortho and trying to block the view of the transition back to regular tiles…LOL…

Canada. Amiright?

1 Like

C’mon out Canada. Don’t be shy… There ya’ go…

1 Like

It isn’t ortho…but it still isn’t bad…!

2 Likes

Arrived at Seymour Inlet…despite deteriorating weather…I landed just fine. There was…however…an incident while taxiing to the ramp. More on that tomorrow.

6 Likes

What do you mean with this?! Everything is on fire!

It’s really cold and dreary in Canada. I’m sort of helping the people out on the barge by providing some warmth.

But the barge itself is flammable! Did you… strap floaters on by any chance? :wink:

2 Likes

Naha International Airport (ROAH) to Laoag Intl (RPLI).

I flew this leg over a week ago but haven’t had time to jot down an AAR, so I will keep this one fairly short.

I decided to skip my planned stop in Taiwan, instead making a longer sea crossing to land at Laoag International, situated at the Northern end of the Philippines.

Pre-dawn, we line up on the runway at Naha…

Turning Southwest,

Before long, we see the first signs of daylight.

Our first waypoint comes into view…Miyako Airport on Miyakojima island.

From Miyakojima island, we turn to track a course of 220°. 318 nm ahead of us we should find Batan Island (part of the Philipines).

About 50 miles out we pick up the Basco NDB.

Land Ho! Batan Island…

From here we were less than an hour out from our destination.

Our first sight of te Philipine mainland…

Laoag International Airport in sight…

followed by an uneventful landing.

I still have about 2000nm to go before reaching Christmas Island, but I feel that it is getting closer!

9 Likes

On my way from Seymour Inlet across a wide expanse of water to PADQ - Kodiak Island. Survival suit is on…!

Real time map: http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

2 Likes

That was a cool screenshot…!

I hear ya’…the “slog” part of my journey is coming up…

Last little bit of land sliding under the right wing…

Now…about last night…

So I was descending in to my USER waypoint that marked the approximate location of Seymour Inlet.

XMAS-249

After hitting the waypoint, I started flying down the inlet until I spotted the really cool Epoch Passage Aviation constructed barge landing facility…a really unique X-Plane challenge!

XMAS-250

As I descended, I must have entered a layer because the haze really got worse and worse…

XMAS-250

But I managed to keep the barge in sight, crossed the “threshold” and came to a screeching halt about 3/4ths of the way down the landing area. All was fine…!

The problem occurred when I tried to taxi off the landing barge onto the parking barge - there is some sort of seam between the two, and even though I was only going at barely a walking pace, my aircraft pitched, and basically flung itself to death in the gap between the two scenery objects… Doh!

XMAS-254

Even though the damage looks bad - I flew in @TheAlmightySnark and he brought his ratchet set and some speed tape and put my wings back on. :wink:

So there is that story in its full glory…

6 Likes

Stunning screens Paul. The DC-3 is such a classic design and looks amazing in that environment. Speaking of, are you still using X-Enviro? I need to check for an update to see if I can run it again.

Wingtip meets fuel tank? Lots of fire going on there.

Yes, that is the one thing keeping me from using the Kodiak. However, Danklaue remarked that you can enable icing equipment in XP even though it is not part of the panel, by mapping a key.

2 Likes

A tour bus from Chiliwack?

2 Likes

Paging our resident ortho expert @fearlessfrog. I went the easy way and downloaded premade orthos for the U.S…which unfortunately puts me over default terrain after leaving the boundaries of the continental U.S.

LOL…that’s a funny image…I can only imagine the beer can clutter below deck…

1 Like

Another long haul leg for this morning planned - running west along the Aleutians. This is an area of the world I’d love to visit sometime - particularly after reading of an insane kayaking account “Birthplace of the Winds” that details a fun adventure visiting some of the more remote islands in the chain.

Live tracking here: http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

Full of fuel (ostensibly 7.5 hours-ish) and ready to depart. Very windy and raw in Kodiak this morning:

130753Z AUTO 07026G32KT 7SM -RA OVC010 06/05 A2951 RMK AO2 PK WND 07032/0752

GTN 750 loaded with the route that will take us along the chain instead of out over open water…

Off we go - climbing to FL180 for the trip and we’ll see where the fuel burns settle in at…

3 Likes

Well, according to the GTN 750 fuel planning page - it looks like I’ll have enough. 5 hours + 34 minutes left. Of course, this is just showing to Eareckson/Shemya Island (PASY) and I’m going on a bit further (35nm) to Casco Cove Coast Guard Station (PAAT). For some reason Casco Cove is not in my waypoint database. A bit over an hour reserve upon arrival though…so that is actually almost legal considering that I do have to have an alternate filed based on the weather forecast. PASY is the nearest reporting station - looks exciting…!

130758Z AUTO 10029G36KT 7SM -RA OVC011 01/00 A2933

XMAS-265

1 Like