The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

If you do - and I wouldn’t blame you for it…I will certainly swing through and pick you up on the return…!

Alrighty…loading up at Kushiro airport (RJCK) and going to make a 568nm jump down through Japan to Shizuoka (RJNS) - hoping for some good views of Mt. Fuji on the way. Looks like the live flight tracker server is down at the moment - I’ll keep trying to connect to it while enroute though - so I might pop up on it:

http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

1 Like

XMAS-281

4 Likes

Laoag Intl (RPLI) Philipines to Kota Kinabalu (WBKK), Malaysia.

Departing Laoag, I start a left turn out to the South. Our route has us following the coast down to Dagupan.

A little over an hour later we find ourselves over Subic Bay. I guess the US Navy were all at sea.

Leaving Subic Bay behind us.

I decided to stay low so that I could take in the scenery, and navigate visually to some extent.

Approaching the Lubang Community Airport, which conveniently has a VOR.

Climbing back up to a safer altitude…

The island of Borneo comes into view.

Kota Kinabalu is located on the NW coast of the island, pretty much a straight shot from this direction. I started to see some low cloud over the hills which prompted me to start looking at what approaches are available at WBKK…

Sure enough, as I approached the terminal area, the weather deteriorated further.

It was nothing to worry about though.

So, for the next leg I will be crossing the mountains and jungle of Borneo… Getting real close now!

2 Likes

Ha…we are going to be close to one another…I’m heading from Shizuoka, Japan to Hualien Airport, Taiwan (RCYU)… Part of that flight will occur while I’m watching Star Wars - so fingers crossed for a good autopilot…! LOL…

http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

XMAS-286

And Mt. Fuji did not disappoint…that last leg was spectacular - pictures when I have a few moments…

5 Likes

That’s one thing with the DC3, you really can’t leave it to it’s own devices for any length of time. That can get a little tedious on some of the longer legs. What I wouldn’t give right now for a simple heading and altitude hold. LOL.

2 Likes

So a recap of my last two legs…

Kushiro to Shizuoka was a beautiful flight…

Down the east coast of Japan…

Farmland and rice paddies (?) as the predominant tile…

Out of the high cloud layer…Mt. Fuji finally emerges…

The very dense city of Fuji along the coast…

Turning final for Shizuoka…

Nice Fuji custom airport, Mt. Fuji, and surrounding orthoscenery by KAZ Nakata HERE

Feeling the urge to continue…took a short rest, then loaded up for a monster seven hour leg from Shizuoka to Hualien Airport, Taiwan…

It is a long, long flight (one where I actually went and saw The Last Jedi) and as we descend into Hualien, I decide to load up the RNAV approach because I’m unfamiliar with the area. The ceilings were pretty high…but if they hadn’t been, I would have been in for a surprise at how rugged the area around the airport is.

XMAS-302

An active military base - with all kinds of military stuff scattered around. I’d better be on my best behavior here!

I don’t know what this says - but maybe I can stay here?

Resting up for another monster leg coming up…

5 Likes

You are really knocking this out in short order Chris! Stunning screen shots as well.

Next year - I AM going to pick a faster aircraft though…

6 Likes

LOL, you and me both!

1 Like
2 Likes

On the way again…this time 1,261 nm from Haulien, Taiwan down to Anduki Airfield, Brunei (WBAK)…

Live Tracker: http://xfsd.ansorg-web.de/fsdmap/

XMAS-309

3 Likes

A good deal on this one if you feel the need for speed…

2 Likes

That thing looks like it should be attached to the back of @Sine_Nomine’s sailboat…!

2 Likes

I wonder if the Chinese are going to try to shoot me down over the Spratly Islands… :thinking:

XMAS-311

XMAS-312

2 Likes

So after this arrival in Brunei, I think I’m only one more leg to Christmas Island. Is the default X-Plane Christmas Island the only game in town?

last night I flew from Kota Kinabalu (WBKK), on the Northern part of Borneo Island, down to Pangkalan Bun (WAGI)…

I started off at dawn, anticipating a majestic view when the sun finally rose above the mountains.

Before long, I find myself over the mist covered jungle. Borneo is a huge island…

Mile after mile of tropical rain forrest.

Along the route I was able to use the Mulu VOR and the Pangsuma NDB. Slim pickings on a 600nm leg, but enough to get by on with a bit of dead reckoning thrown into the mix. Pangkalan Bun also has a NDB, which helped me find the airport.

I picked up the Goodway flight planner, mainly because the X-Plane map is so limited in scale. Kind of neat to see all the course corrections made during the course of the flight. Certainly not the straight as an arrow courselines we are used to these days with the use of GPS. Still, not too bad all things considered.

This puts me less than 600 nm from Christmas Island…

5 Likes

I’m in the WB’s too…!! LOL… I’m so excited…!

1 Like

I’m about to fire the ol’ girl up for the final time… but I suspect you will still beat me to the destination ;).

1 Like

No…I won’t be flying my final leg until tomorrow. So keep the beer cold for me when you get there!