The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

hello all

I also want to participate this year. I will go through some testing and high level flight planning as I would like to take the DC-6 A.

This will give me enough space to bring along a load of fine swiss chese, chocolate and some good wine for those guys in Christmas Island. The 4 radials (if I can make them running in XP 11) will give me enough airspeed to make the 6000+ nm from Switzerland a decent and safe trip.

I think I can even pack this nice new super cup (wings detached) so that I can do some sightseeing with this fantastic aircraft while my DC-6 is being refuled.

Anyone planning the trip from Europe as well?

Regards
Fsjoe

6 Likes

Is the Flying Tigers plane a Tristar?

Welcome to Mudspike @Fsjoe! :mudspike:

Negative. Beach’s Flying Tiger is a B727-100 to my eyes. Tristar is a wide body L-1011.

1 Like

I could swear there is a Flying Tigers C-46 for P3D or FSX around - might have it myself. I’ll have a peek in my screenshot library

Christmas 2018!

1 Like

I found the C-46 Flying Tigers, but can’t find my screenshots of it - it was freeware by Libardo Guzman García.

tbh the C-46 was one of the planes on my 15 aircraft shortlist - but I think I may well go with a C-130, seeing as my only Lancaster model is the dambusters, and that doesn’t fit well with the theme (unless the barrel ‘bomb’ is filled with sherry!)

As this is bomber county, I’m also considering A2A’a B-17G

1 Like

Some video of our destination (fwd to 3:00 to see our arrival airport…!)

4 Likes

DC-8 is on my list as well.

B721 trivia. When I was at Eastern, we had some B-721 QCs in the fleet. QC as in Quick Change. All the ones that I saw were configured for carrying pax, but had a cargo door fwd on the LHS. The seats supposedly could be slide out in sections through that door so that the aircraft could be configured for EALs air freight division when needed.

Where is your brewery at by the way? I’m planning on making a stop on my Christmas Flight (was it Chareleston?)…

Welcome aboard @Fsjoe - you using the DC-6 in X-Plane or FSX/P3D? We look forward to reading about your trip!

Yep… @chipwich got it right - it is the FlyJSims 727-100 for XP11…a beautiful little plane. It also comes with the 727-200 and -200F if I’m not mistaken…

1 Like

Whatever you do - I recommend at least a wing leveler and heading autopilot for some of these long trips…!

What’s on tap:

4 Likes

Sweet…maybe I can couple it with a 787 demo flight…!

Give me a heads-up when you will be there. Tap room open Thu - Sun, various hours.

1 Like

Yes indeed, One of the things that makes the VSkyLabs DC3 a little labor intensive is that there is no heading hold. The autopilot just holds pitch and bank angle. It does make it a decent challenge when dead reckoning though.

Well…good news. I was a bit worried that I wouldn’t be able to get the 727 off the ground from my “nearest to home” airport of Gastonia, NC (KAKH) - with its 3,770’ runway. So I dug into some charts and it looks like with minimum fuel I can at least reposition to CLT or somewhere else and then take on a normal fuel load…

727TO1

727TO

Might have to cut down some trees at the end of the runway or at least for a cool morning with a headwind… :thinking:

Don’t lay your phone next to the whisky compass… :rofl:

By the way…did you guys see this freeware DC-3? By a little ole’ company called Aeroworx from South Africa…hmm…seems familiar… :smiley:

3 Likes