The official 3rd Annual Mudspike Christmas Flight - 2017 Edition

Yes, I downloaded it just the other day. The cockpit is excellent. I haven’ spent much time flying it yet though.

I’ve flown a number of aircraft over the last few hours to test, but still no closer to deciding which to take - though all except one were great fun to fly in VR.

I need to get started early due to RL and may not finish before the deadline, but I will get there eventually.

My choice of aircraft has been influenced by having read @PaulRix early progress reports and seeing the fun with no GPS.

By the way…did you guys see this freeware DC-3?

Funny you should say that, it was either the VSkylabs DC-3 or this one.

The BBMF don’t use their Dakota over the winter and I’m sure they wouldn’t mind me borrowing it. It took a while, but I managed to get all that nasty green paint off and we’re now back to bare metal.

EGXC (RAF Coningsby) → EGLK (Blackbushe Airport)

I needed to get back to my home base with the newly “leased” DC-3. Departure from Coningsby was early afternoon with a little cloud.

The beta version has an autopilot but its a bit quirky with workarounds and as usual I hadn’t read the manual, so pointed the nose south with a hastily constructed flight plan and climbed to cruising altitude.

It was a relatively short hop, before decending through the murk and seeing if I could recognise anything.

Nope.

Eventually having circled a few times, I had to have a small peak/cheat at the map and was around 10 miles southwest of my destination.

I had downloaded a nice representation of Blackbushe airport for Xplane, but the GB scenery seems to clash with it slightly. Coupled with the low cloud and rain I needn’t have bothered.

Blackbushe airport - sack the gardener

Its amazing that this is a freeware beta aircraft I found it really nice to fly and there’s plenty of scope for Captain Chaos to make an appearance.

Time to load up the kegs and goodies

Things I need to work on:

• Radio navigation - I could get the NDB working, but needed VHF frequencies for all the other points on the route.

• Discipline with speed and time on each leg - I’d assumed a much higher average speed and got nowhere near that. I kept forgetting to reset the stopwatch.

• Suss out the workarounds with the autopilot

6 Likes

My tentative route - IF I use the 727…a few interesting places (to me) put in…very rough draft of the route though…

1 Like

Does this mean X plane 11 has vr support already ?

@near_blind arriving over Christmas Island…

1 Like

Hello from France. This flight is a great idea.
I’ll hope fly Nice LFMN to Christmas Island with a Pregnant Guppy B377 from A2A simulation.
Large cargo for full gift
I’ll hope i’ll have enought time to do that.

Grettngs
Laurent

7 Likes

Hmm…I can see now we are going to have to pay overtime for an angry customs agent in Christmas Island…

(At least…that is how U.S. Customs agents usually are…) :rofl:

2 Likes

No - I am using P3Dv4 - I have XP11 but I don’t like the scenery - even with orthoxp - and I’m fed up with playing around with config files etc - been doing that since years with all sims I have and it’s enough.

There is FlyInside for XP11, though - which I also bought, and is quite reasonable.

^ That’s more my style, and besides.

Have you see the ants they’ve got on that Island? Deep down you want me with those bombs. You need me with those bombs.

1 Like

I was wondering if Thunderbird 2 would be within the acceptable range?

1 Like

Well, @Freak did do this one year, so I guess it’s not off the table. :slight_smile:

That’s okay then - just have to see if it works in VR. I did have another spaceship somewhere, a huge thing, but I can’t remember what it was from.

TARDIS would be nice - step in at home, step out at Chrimbo Is :grimacing:

1 Like

I was picturing this:

3 Likes

So, I broke out the Flight Test Center KMUD today…construction has stalled on it a bit the past few months…apparently we aren’t lobbying the right politicians at the moment. On the 4,000’ STOL runway - I dialed in 130,000 lbs. takeoff weight, neutral wind, and used the TOLD card V1/R of 112, 2.08 EPR, and just squeaked off the end of the runway. Given that KMUD is both warmer and higher than my home airport in North Carolina, this seems to be in line with what the takeoff chart predicted for 3,700’ or runway. Stopping performance was almost the same, although I wasn’t super aggressive with the braking…

4 Likes

…aaaaand continuing with the tests…the MD80 is a bit more of a runway hog…we actually overran the end of the STOL runway and probably didn’t lift off until around 4,700 - 4,800’…however the stopping distance was probably a good 500’ shorter with braking and reversers. And darn if that paint scheme and the overall look of the MD80 both inside and outside isn’t just drop dead gorgeous…

5 Likes

Very nice screenies! Did you use any scenery for it? Is it the Rotate MD80 you’re using? How do you like it?

I’m using XP 11, however I so far have used the DC-6 only in XP 10, therefore I first need to do some testing before I can commit to this aircraft…

I would be very interested in your observations @Fsjoe. I have been eyeing up the DC6 but being a XP11 user, I have shied away from buying it.

So if I were to relent and use XP11 for the whole journey, with default scenery, am I going to be bored to death with it (the scenery, not the flying per se)?