The Pillars of Creation

Just something cool too make you think about something other than the virus.
BTW, the video is well done.

10 Likes

Ah! The Eagle Nebula… one of my favorites.

9 Likes

My first thought was, “Look at all the stars!”

4 Likes

Baby stars at that… M16 is a ‘stellar nursery’.

5 Likes

That your picture Paul? It’s awesome!

2 Likes

That is beautiful! The dark ‘clouds’ that you see is dust that is blocking (most) starlight behind it. It is a stellar nursery and called the pillars of creation because there is (likely) active star formation occurring behind that veil. Amazing!

2 Likes

Yes, one of mine from quite awhile ago. I really should get back into it. Once all this craziness settles down, I am thinking of getting myself a back yard observatory. I had one when I lived in Ohio and certainly I miss it…

19 Likes

Aren’t all the stars already adults, or worse?
I mean what we see is the past of universe, isn’t it?

Saw recently some document about the future of space this time. In few seconds ( of that video oc ) were all stars some cold dwarfs or something. Like not very ‘bright’ future :wink:

2 Likes

Technically yes, but the Eagle Nebula is only 7000 light years away, so we see them like they were 7000 years ago, which is nothing for a star. If it was young 7000 years ago then it is still young now. :slight_smile:

Edit: for comparison: Our sun is at least 4.5 billion years old, and is still considered a middle aged star. It will likely exist for another 5 billion years or so.

4 Likes

That’s an amazing piece of machinery there Paul. I think one of those shot down my Viggen over Nevada the other day when I was out training.

3 Likes

…who are you kidding with that picture…we can’t see the laptop screen but you are obviously downloading XP aircraft. :wink:

5 Likes

Stargate is real, just sayin

2 Likes