The Search For NC5132

So…it started with a reply to this thread:

Bad picture (I have another, in flight) of it. Grandad and his friend did airshows starting circa 1929.
I’d never thought about looking up the N-number til I made that post.

Found the owner, a delightful lady only a few years older than I that owns it. Her husband (I didn’t ask but sounds like he may have passed) rebuilt it a while back. Assuming I read the registration details correctly he rebuilt in in 2010 I believe.

AND it’s on loan to the N. Dakota Air Musem. My eyes aren’t what they used to be but it may still be flying, in a sense:

According to this page:
https://dakotaterritoryairmuseum.com/about/

If this is really it…I’ve never been to N. Dakota :slight_smile:
Gives me chills thinking about touching her or even sitting in her if not hanging from the roof.

More as I find it.

11 Likes

In flight. Story goes grandad was flying here, not sure who was in the back.

On the back of the photo - this sums things up pretty well

13 Likes

That is awesome. Are you going to make a trip to ND?

4 Likes

My wife wants to :slight_smile: (I hate driving) so if the museum call pans out…looks like it!

The delightful lady that owns it vacations about an hour from me (Florida panhandle) too so may be another chance for more info there.

The undercarriage in the museum (hanging) picture looks different but that could have been changed over the years.

2 Likes

It’s alive! Pix from museum coming!

8 Likes

This is just too surreal.

Wheels

1 Like

This is a fantastic thread. Please please keep us updated. What a wonderful thing to find her :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Contacted the museum. Apparently NC5132 has its own exhibit. They are going to take pictures and send to me. Lady I talked to said it was used to do an Air Mail 100 airport in 100 days celebration flight in 1980. Perhaps she meant 60 years, thus 60 flights? (think airmail started in 1920).

10 Likes

Ah, back when IFR meant “I follow roads”.

3 Likes

When I was in Alaska it was, “I follow Rivers” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

From what I heard about flying WW2 era Warbirds these days it means the same thing.

Wheels

1 Like

Here she is.

10 Likes

how cool! it has a bit of the look of one of those mid war raf planes, like hart or demon-ish.

More…

She’s been through a lot. From the exhibit:

11 Likes

It looks like they did a nice job of restoring her.

I think about how this was only 25-ish years since the [very short] flight of the Wright Brothers. My grandad was born about that time. 25 years in my mind, in my 60’s, seems like last week. .

So we start with baby steps via this Wright Flyer contraption to not long after a couple of 'buds getting together and, "Hey, this looks like fun, lets give it ago (what could go wrong?)).

I never learned how he learned to fly; he went on to be an IP in the Army Air Corp - a ‘field’ promotion to officer (he left school after the 8th grade) - to corp. pilot when he retired. That was all between the mid 1920’ to the mid 1960’s. With the Great Depression thrown in during his thirties.

A story just came to me: his first job, flying for a US oil company, was in a piper cub (or similar) along the pipeline. When spotting a stanchion/union that was being ‘compromised’ by woodchucks (seems they would dig in under it). He would land, take his lever-action 22 and dispatch them. I still have that rifle and used to shoot with it all the time[1].

[1] Myself and friends would pack the rifles/shotguns into our ‘off road’ vehicles (made so by having shovels, carpet, and scrap lumber in the trunk), leave it all in the school parking lot (high school) and set out after the last bell for an ‘adventure’ with our game tags in the glove box.

7 Likes

This is amazing stuff mate